Interesting Article about Nuts :-)

Interesting Article about Nuts :-)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share an interesting Article about Nuts that I've read, from Everyday Health:

everydayhealth.com/news/eat...

Copied and pasted parts of the article:

In the first study of its kind, eating nuts, including peanuts, has been linked to fewer deaths across ethnic groups, even for people who had metabolic conditions like morbid obesity or diabetes, were smokers, or drank alcohol.

“Nuts in particular have fiber, which can help lower LDL cholesterol, supply ample vitamin E, and even have L-arginine, all of which keep your arteries healthy and free of plaque buildup,” says says John Day, MD, a cardiologist and director of Heart Rhythm Services at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah. “If you can keep your arteries healthy you will be less likely to suffer many chronic medical conditions.”

Why Nuts Are so Healthy

“Nut oils contain more polyunsaturated fats than saturated making them a healthy choice,” says registered dietitian Maureen Namkoong, MS, RD, who is director of nutrition and fitness for Everyday Health.

Beyond the healthy fats, nuts and peanuts are a good source of protein, fiber, and nutrients.

Namkoong also notes that nuts contain a "handful of vitamins and minerals," plus:

•Arginine, an amino acid that may help decrease blood pressure

•Resveratrol, which can help reduce inflammation

•Phytosterols, which can help reduce cholesterol

•Flavonoids, which reduce inflammation and may inhibit platelets from sticking to arteries

Nuts and peanuts are also high in calcium, magnesium, and potassium, points out Taub-Dix: “When we eat food we look at the package deal in concert with the diet. A nut does have a lot of value in the nutrient package.”

Nuts also have another important advantage: Satiation. “Which foods really satisfy? Nuts have that value in your stomach, in your head, and your mouth,” says Taub-Dix.

Nutrition Facts for Nuts and Peanuts

Here’s what you need to know about how much fat, protein, and fiber you add to your diet by having one ounce of nuts. The nutrition information is for dry-roasted nuts, listed from those highest to lowest in protein, using information from the USDA Nutrient Database Standard Reference.

1.Peanuts: 14 gm fat; 7 gm protein; 2 gm fiber

2. Almonds: 15 grams (gms) fat; 6 gm protein; 3 gm fiber

3. Pistachios: 13 gm fat; 6 gm protein; 3 gm fiber

4. Mixed nuts: 15 gm fat; 5 gm protein; 3 gm fiber

5. Brazil nuts (dried): 19 gm fat; 4 gm protein; 2 gm fiber

6.Walnuts (dried): 18 grams fat; 4 gm protein; 2 gm fiber

7.Cashews: 13 gm fat; 4 gm protein; 1 gm fiber

8.Pine nuts (dried): 19 grams fat; 4 gm protein; 1 gm fiber

9.Pecans: 21 gm fat; 3 gm protein; 3 gm fiber

10.Macadamias: 22 gm fat; 2 gm protein; 2 gm fiber "

(I have copied and pasted the above information from the article above).

My own personal view: I really like nuts, in particular I like Brazil nuts, walnuts and almonds - hence I've put a photo of my favourites with this post - I usually 'freeze' my nuts - as it keeps them fresher for longer, and they taste perfect straight from the freezer.

I like to put them on my porridge in the mornings, and occasionally have them as a tasty snack.

Zest :-)

Skip

Featured Content

Follow the community

Discuss all aspects of nutrition, from specific foods to recipes and more. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits.

Get Started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

21 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hey Zest; my favorite nuts are those three nuts you mentioned as well. I also like eating sugar-free peanut butter with avocado. I usually eat nuts with some dark chocolate.

• Hi Luckysugar,

Thanks for your lovely reply - yes, you've reminded me that I also love to eat nuts with dark chocolate - such a great combination! :-)

I've not tried having peanut butter with avocado before - that sounds interesting, and I think I will give it a try.

Hope you're enjoying your week so far.

• Give it a try, they are really yummy....it sometimes hard to stop digging in the peanut butter jar :)

Hope you have a great week too.

• I know what you mean about the peanut butter jar - I love peanut butter, and I love avocado, so I am imagining having them together will be really yummy! :-)

• Excellent Post, Thank you. I am not a fan of most nuts, except Pistachios nuts and also pine nuts but I tend not to but the pine nuts because of the cost. I had never thought of freezing them though - great thinking : >

• Thanks Kitten-whiskers,

Pistachio nuts are really good - not had any of those for a while. I know what you mean about the cost of pine nuts - I only buy them very rarely for that very reason, but they are a lovely taste, especially if toasted.

Yes, freezing is great - I just put a container of nuts in the freezer and they keep wonderfully in there.

Hope you're having a great week.

• Hello Zest, my weeks not getting any better i'm afraid, still feeling awful :<

at least I have my hypotherpapy again tomorrow. How is your week going?

• Hi Kitten-whiskers,

Sorry to hear your week's not getting any better, but hopefully your hydrotherapy session went well.

My week's going ok so far, thanks, and I'm looking forward to the weekend.

• Morning Zest,

Hypotherapy was fantastic thank you. I can't believe how fast the week has gone, the weekend again, already!

Best wishes

• Yay!!! :-)

• Love pistachio but they're a pain to shell.

• That is true! :-)

• Zest this is awesome! Thank you so much - never heard of freezing them but will do so from now! High in calories but then so is a burger/box of chocolate 🍫 etc!!

• Hi Susie54,

Thanks for your lovely reply, and glad you like the information on nuts and the tip to freeze them!

Hope you have a great week.

• Oh I have a Tspoon of almond butter in my hot cacao drink ...yum

• Mmmm, that sounds tasty. :-)

• Would I be slapped on the wrist here if I asked if some of this goodness can be got from pecan Danish ?!

• lol - well it does contain some nice nuts - doesn't it. ;-)

• That looks like a third of my supper! :)

Haven't heard of freezing them before, but mine don't usually last long enough to go off. I've just bought 4kg of almonds & walnuts, so might try that with half. Does it affect the taste or texture?

M*

• Hi Mel,

No, the taste and texture of the nuts don't seem to change as a result of freezing them, and they are literally 'ready' straight from the freezer. That's my experience, and my hubby agrees - see what you think with a few of yours, just to make sure you're happy with the result. :-)

Zest :-) xx

• Thanks Zest! x

You may also like...