Healthy Eating
32,019 members4,407 posts

Advice on healthy carb ideas?

Hello, I keep naturally going to processed carbs. What are your go to healthy carbs for dinner?

**NOTE** THE ADMINISTRATION HAD TO TURN THE REPLY FUNCTION OFF UNTIL THEY CAN DEAL WITH THE DISAGREEMENT BETWEEN THE MEMBERS OF THE GROUP OVER THE POSTING’S SUBJECT/LCHF DIET.

Activity2004

Administrator

UPDATE: THE ISSUE HAS BEEN TAKEN CARE OF. REPLY FUNCTION IS BACK ON.

9 Replies
oldestnewest

I dispute that a low-carb high-fat diet is good for everyone. It is certainly not good for the animals that are killed, for instance. Nor is it a sustainable approach for the health of our planet. As for humans, I wonder how many of these people are building up future problems of fat in the arteries, brain etc leading to early deaths and long term illnesses such as dimentia.

On the other hand a high-carb whole-food plant based diet means zero animals are killed. It has a very sustainable profile for the planet, removing much of the methane and co2 production that has more negative effect on our planets eco-system than all the destruction caused by planes, cars, lorries etc. Also a quality high-carb diet generates in an inbuilt protection against cancers, heart disease and most chronic illnesses.

2 likes

Yes I have car, phone, computers, tv etc etc not suprisingly. And yes I do have an understanding of the world.

2 likes

Hidden,

I will be sending you a message later today.

Check your PMs, Hidden.

I follow a low fat vegan diet so most of what I eat is healthy carbs

My staples might be::

short grain brown rice, quinoia, Sweet potato, Buckwheat, Mung beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils, sweetcorn, peas

But the list could be almost endless, there are so many types of grain, pulses, beans, starchy vegetables to chose from

2 likes

The key is in the word "processed". Do everything you can to eat as unprocessed foods as possible. For instance wholewheat bread is better than wholewheat pasta. This is because wholewheat bread has represents the original food in as near as accurate form as possible with a necessary transformation to make it edible. Whereas the pasta breaks that edible food down to another level and reconstitutes it in pasta form.

Sprouted seeds and beans are another instance. Yes they go through another processing state, that of sprouting, but this is sprouting a living thing for which the entire seed/legume is necessary.

There is another word in the above that is important - edible. And in that word we might mean not only that the body can digest but also metabalise into good nutrition and also that the foods do not cause harm.

As an example, when I was in my early days of recovery from RA using diet I ate a lot of white basmati rice. This is not as nutritionally complete as wholegrain rice, basmati or otherwise but it was easier to digest. Thus it was a way, at the time, of gaining more diverse and important nutrition without causing further harm to my damaged gut. Now that my gut is largely healed instead I prefer wholegrain rice.

Good Carbs:

Vegetables: All of them. ...

Whole fruits: Apples, bananas, strawberries, etc.

Legumes: Lentils, kidney beans, peas, etc.

Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, etc.

Seeds: Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds.

Whole grains: Choose grains that are truly whole, as in pure oats, quinoa, brown rice, etc.

2 likes

For me processed carbs are something I try to eat little of (although I do sometimes) but I am currently added sugar and processed food free for the most part. LCHF doesn't suit everyone but I am lower carb than I used to be and eat good fats, olive oil, coconut oil, avocados etc. I do have butter if I have toast and not a lot of it. Too much fatty foods upset my tummy (hiatus hernia and gallstones) so I do try to avoid them where possible, but we are only human.

Best to REDUCE carb intake - processed or unprocessed -

eat more whole food - not cooked- or partially cooked -

check LCHF diet in Diabetes forum

You may also like...