Soup for Lunch today :-)

Soup for Lunch today :-)

Hi everyone,

I enjoyed my lunch today - it was a tin of Pea & Mint soup, with some wholemeal bread and peanut butter (2 slices), and the calorie total came to approx 542 calories.

It was tasty soup and I really enjoyed it.

What have you had for your lunch today? Hope you're having a great day and here's to a good weekend ahead.

Zest :-)

Skip

Featured Content

Follow the community

Discuss all aspects of nutrition, from specific foods to recipes and more. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits.

Get Started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

17 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Just wondered what you thought of your first Avocado, Royo - you mentioned in your reply in another post that you'd tried your first one this week - and I really wondered whether you enjoyed it? My soup reminded me of Avocados, as the colour is very similar. I didn't want to reply to you in that thread, as it was someone else's post - but thought I'd ask you in here, so hope you don't mind my asking. :-)

• I thought it had an interesting texture and would eat it again. I read all over the place that it’s so good for us who are trying to lose weight and look after ourselves.

I had it with salad and beef slices. I was a bit miffed once I put it into MyFitnessPal it is higher in calories than I could’ve imagined 😬

• Glad you enjoyed it Royo - and I agree that the calorie content is a surprise, but like you say, it is such a nutritious and good food - your combination with salad and beef slices sounds really tasty. :-)

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

• Pea and mint soup is so easy to make and much cheaper. Do you know that most peanut butter is heavy on the sugar and salt . I buy a kind free from every thing apart from the peanuts !

Dee

• Hi Dee,

Thanks for your reply - you're right - it would be cheaper, and I would love to make some homemade Pea and Mint soup, rather than resort to a tin - but I've been lax on doing my batch cooking of soup, and I didn't have any in my freezer to turn to. I need to devote some time to sorting myself out. :-)

Can you tell me the brand of peanut butter you have? I'd happily compare the salt and sugar levels with the one that I have - the one I have has got 'per 30g serving' - 0.30g of salt and 2g of sugars. (per 100g, that equates to 1g salt and 6.7g sugars).

Many thanks,

• I buy Meridian because it has no palm oil. 5.9g of sugar ( from the carbohydrate and 0.0g of salt, per 100. No added sugar or salt. The calories are huge though but I love it

Dee

• Thanks Dee, I'll have a look for that one. Sounds good. I love the taste of peanut butter. Yummy. :-)

Just realised I have the Meridian version of the Smooth almond butter, and it is really good, so I'll definitely look out for the Peanut butter version. Thank you again. :-)

• Sounds like you two would be better off on a Keto plan rather than calorie counting. Avocados and peanut butter are allowed. You just cannot spread them on bread! I am finding it great and very satisfying. I am no longer hungry and have had a steady weight loss.

• Hi LeeRa,

Thank you for your reply, and comments. It's great to hear that a Keto plan is working for you.

I am currently maintaining a total weight loss of 5 stone - which I've maintained for the past 3 years, and my BMI is healthy at just over 24 - I'm quite happy with my current way of eating - and I tend to eat all the macronutrients - and I try to ensure my carbs are complex ones.

I am more than happy with my weight currently - but I still mention calories when I post my meals, as I know that some people like to see that information. I keep a record of my calorie intake for interest more than anything - these days.

I like to share my meals in the forum, and I love it when other people do - as it's so great to share our ideas for meals.

I hope that you'll share your meal ideas too, if you want to, - and once again, I wish you continued success with your eating preferences. Really glad it is working for you.

• I am quite happy with my weight now. If it starts to increase, as I have difficulties with osteoarthritis and cannot sometimes exercise much, I just pull back on quantity and get rid of my occasional sweet treats. Moderation is much easier than elimination of food groups.

So yes I spread peanut butter on my homemade sour dough and love every minute. I also don't eat any meat. I firmly believe that is a big factor in keeping my weight at a good level, despite sometimes not being able to walk much.

Have a good day

Dee

• Mmmm, peanut butter on homemade sour dough - I love the sound of that. :-)

• Thanks zest. So do I.

• Looks lovely Zest. I had wholewheat pasta, chicken breast, mixed salad and feta.

• Hi Willgetslim,

Thanks for your reply, and I really love the sound of your lunch - I bet it was delicious! :-)

• Thanks champak045, Yes, I also love Pea and Mint soup - such a delicious combination of flavours. Sadly, I didn't make this myself, it was from a tin on this occasion.

I also have almond butter sometimes - as I do like that too. Also very tasty! :-)

You asked for the total and net carbs - I can tell you that the meal had the following macronutrients: Fat: 13g; Fibre 6.6g; Carbs 50.4g; Protein 11.7g - that was from the Fitbit data. I hope that is helpful to you.

• Hi champak045,

I think the version of Fitbit I have has UK supermarkets mainly inputted into it - but maybe there are other versions - depending on the part of the World you are living in. Another good data website (that is free) is Myfitnesspal - and that might have more USA based foods in the data base - but again, I'm not sure.

A break-down of the meal is as follows (and I have changed the input to 'pea soup' because the one I had put in didn't give the exact contents you require - so please bear in mind that the totals will be slightly different to the ones I gave you earlier):

Peanut butter: 1 tablespoon Calories: 94; Fat 8.1g; Fibre 1g; Carbs 3.1g Protein 4g

Pea soup: 300g Calories: 198; Fat: 3.5g; Fibre: 6g; Carbs 31.8g Protein 10.3g

Wholemeal bread (2 slices) Calories 256; Fat 5g; Fibre: 5.6g; Carbs 47.3g and Protein: 7.7g

Total calories of the meal = 548, Total Fat: 16.5g; Total fibre: 12.6g; Total carbs: 82.2g and total protein 22.1g

I hope this is helpful for you.

• Hi champak045,

You're right - I didn't think of inputting the details straight from the tin - and I've just checked the tin - and it says: 'Per half can' provides: Energy 96 calories; Fat 4.2g; Saturates: 2.4g; Sugars 3.6g; Salt 1g, and it says per 100g energy = 48 calories.

I had the whole can of soup, so that would mean doubling those amounts.

I am sure it would be much healthier if I made the soup myself - and I will try to organise my time better, so that hopefully I will have some batches of soup pre-frozen. :-)

I am looking forward to the weekend, and hope you are too.

You may also like...