Tried a new recipe today - Healthy Gut Nut ... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

50,966 members9,294 posts

Tried a new recipe today - Healthy Gut Nut Bread :-)

Zest
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

For one of my Healthy Eating pledges this week, I was looking to try a new recipe, and I decided to try the one that BadHare posted about earlier this week - her original post is here with the original recipe (which is from a blog by Dr Mark Hyman):

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

I admit that I did adapt the recipe slightly, in that instead of using 3 cups of walnuts, I used 150g (as that was all I had bought), and I used 200g or almonds (and was very lazy and didn't chop them up). Instead of using 'mixed seeds' - I purely used Pumpkin seeds. But apart from that, I followed the recipe that is described in Badhare's post.

The photo shows an 80 gram slice, and I shared this with my husband, so I had 40 grams, and it was very filling indeed! It also tasted quite salty - there is 1 teaspoon of sea salt in the recipe, and I am not used to adding salt very much, which is probably why I found it very salty tasting.

I think I'm going to slice it into 30 gram slices and freeze them, as I think that would be the size that will work best for me. I haven't worked out how many calories would be in that slice yet, so I will try to do so.

I'm not sure if I'll make it again or not - I will see how I feel after I've eaten it a few more times, as I know that taste buds can alter and maybe it will grow on me.

I know that a few others who responded to Badhare's post were going to try it as well, and I'd be interested to hear how they get on, and if they like it.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Zest :-)

7 Replies

Hi zest

I hope you've had a good weekend, your healthy gut nut bread looks nice and healthy but I'm not really into too many nuts for health reasons.

No doubt there will be plenty members who will love it, especially as nuts are really healthy and filling for most people

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend

Rosie 😊 xx

Zest
ZestStar in reply to rosie-2015

Hi Rosie,

Lovely to see you, and I wanted to try out the Nut bread, which was a recipe that BadHare posted last week - it's interesting because it looks like 'cake' to me, but I have to remember it is a 'bread' and now I'm thinking of it that way, I think I will 'like it more' - I'll see how I feel tomorrow when I have my next slice.

I hope you're enjoying the weekend. It's a sunny day here.

BadHare
BadHare in reply to Zest

Ground up nuts & seeds would be more bread-like, & perhaps textured a little like a dense rye bread.

Mx

Hi Zest,

That looks tasty & nutritious! Nom, nom, nom...

If you break it up whilst it's warm, it will be like granola nibbles. :)

Cup measurements drive me nuts, pardon the pun. I expect 30g will be about 200 nutrient dense calories. with >6g protein & a lot of healthy fats.

I don't like salt, so always add a smaller amount of Himalayan salt, if at all. For savoury foods, I add several spoons of nutritional yeast, or a little marmite or tamari for B vitamins.

Mel x

Zest
ZestStar in reply to BadHare

Hi Mel,

Yes, I think I would reduce the salt content significantly if I was doing this again - I also think I should have ground the nuts down and also the seeds, so that it would be more of the texture of rye bread as you suggested above - I think that would have been better.

I sampled some more of the bread today, and I have to say I am not sure if I like the taste - it has a very strong egg taste to me - 5 eggs does seem a lot... I'm not sure if I 'like' the taste. I was hoping it would grow on me, but I'm not sure it is.

I will however persevere.

Hope you're enjoying the Bank Holiday.

BadHare
BadHare in reply to Zest

Hi Zest,

Grinding the nuts & seeds would likely decrease the taste of eggs, which are a binder for ground nuts & grains. Like all recipes, there's a need to adapt to one's own taste, as well as nutrition requirements. In the meatime, thnk of the nutritional benefits whilst you finish what you've made. :)

Mx

Zest
ZestStar in reply to BadHare

Thanks - I will. I'm going to slice it up later and freeze it in portions. I'm wondering if it might make a nice snack with a delicious slice of cheese alongside...! :-)

You may also like...