Healthy Eating
34,782 members5,252 posts

Pledging to eat Healthily when Eating Out :-)

Hi everyone,

At the beginning of the week, I ate out, and I chose quite calorific and relatively unhealthy things - and I regretted my choices - so I pledged to do better for the remaining meals I'd be having out - and I am glad to say that I chose much better for the remaining meals.

I'm putting up a photo of the meal I enjoyed on Thursday evening - it was a Seafood Salad, and I ordered a 'smaller portion' - as there is that option at the restaurant to have 'large' versus 'smaller' portions - and I have to say that it was more than sufficient, and it was really delicious.

I'm hoping to make similarly good choices this week - I only have one planned meal out this week - last week was unusual in that I had 3 to attend.

My pledges for this week are:

1. Choose a healthy meal when I eat out.

2. Find another Vegetarian recipe to try out, and share it in the forum.

3. Do regular exercise - including some Strength exercises.

4. Drink sufficient water.

Anyone want to join me in pledging something to make their week healthier? Feel free to pledge your goals/aims in this thread, or maybe start your own thread if you prefer.

Zest :-)

22 Replies
oldestnewest

I will join you in making a pledge for next week and other weeks to follow.

1 when eating out chose a healthier food choices.

2 I also need to drink water.

3 use my exercise bike which I have indoors.

1 &2 I can do next week but no 3 will have to wait for 2 weeks as I am on holiday from Monday till 28 August.

Hope you are having a good weekend and enjoy the coming week.

1 like

Hi Caroline62,

Really great that you're joining me in a Pledge for next week, and also for other weeks to follow - and I think your pledges are GREAT. :-) Good to have some company on the pledging side of things, as it really helps to support one another. :-)

Here's to a great week ahead.

Yes, I'm having a good weekend so far, I really love weekends. Hope you are enjoying yours, and have a great evening.

2 likes

Thanks for your honesty Zest.I failed at giving up sugar and went on a mad binge after a few weeks with no sugar. I went to farmfoods to buy some bags of frozen fruit and came out with ice cream that was on offer buy 4 get 4 free. i bought white milk chocolate and also dark chocolate with mint in the middle.So that was 16 choc ice lollies with mint and cream in the middle. oh i did enjoy them. i ended up throwing out 7 of them in the end i had been sitting in bed stuffing my face. i decided to buy sugar again and just take a small half a teaspoon in my tea and coffee. however i feel i have started up my addiction again and am forever eating boiled sugary sweets. I just hope i can summon up the resolve to get off those sweets and start again. I hate tea with no sugar its so bitter. sugar is so bad i was reading that it lowers our immune system. your meal looks truly delicious.I am doing more exercise so thats good.love grace xoxo

2 likes

I can empathise grace111. I spent years consoling myself I could just have a couple of biscuits, then troughing them. You have to recognise how truly toxic this junk is for you, and also the trick is to get adequate amounts of satiating, real food.

For a short time, to enable you to wean yourself off, some suggest using glucose (the sugar our blood carries and cells use) instead of table sugar. It's less sweet and less addictive than fructose (the other half of table sugar). The drawback is that it does raise insulin levels, which is why it shouldn't be seen as a long-term fix.

Graduating to about 130g of low Gi carbs per day is ideal.

2 likes

Morning grace111,

Lovely to see you, and thanks for replying and for empathising too - and for your lovely comments on my meal as well.

Great to hear you're doing more exercise, that is great! I hope you're enjoying it.

Those 'buy more get them free' offers can be tempting sometimes can't they - and mint choc-ices do sound tempting too. So I can understand how you got side-tracked and bought them that day.

I also cut down on my sugar consumption - I used to have 2 heaped spoonfulls of sugar in both tea and coffee, but nowadays I don't have any at all - and my taste buds have changed quite a bit as a result. I think it's worth pursuing trying to cut it down, and I'd like to wish you a really great week ahead.

Zest :-) xx

1 like

I will join you. I will definitely pledge to drink more water and I will cut out the biscuits. I will pledge to try harder to cut out or cut down on the crisps which is going to be a big struggle for me but hopefully I will do it.

1 like

HI teafan,

Really great that you're joining us - it's great to have you on board, and your pledges all sound great. :-) I'd like to wish you success, and hope that your week goes well.

Thank you Zest. It will help knowing that I have your support.

1 like

I amazed myself today when the waitress asked what will you have???....and I opted for a prawn salad instead of a burger which my husband ordered!!!!! and heard myself say no to the mayonnaise !!!....My husband is still looking at me strangely as if I'm ill....ha ha.....

I am going to pledge to....

Build in some walking everyday...and leave the car at home where possible......

Make healthy choices when eating out....

Sort out my fridge/freezer and loose the unhealthy stuff.....

3 likes

Hi Vie59,

Fantastic to have you on board with us in the Pledges - and I really like the sound of all your pledges. They sound great! :-)

Wishing you a really great week ahead.

1 like

I will join you as well Zest - I pledge to stop picking in between meals as that is my biggest downfall.

Here's to a good week.

:)

Alicia

2 likes

Hi Alicia,

Fantastic!!! :-) Great to have you on board with us! :-)

Your pledge sounds great, and I'd like to wish you success with it.

Here's to a great week for us all.

Thank you Zest and it's about time I stopped picking in between meals, I don't need to.

All the very best with yours and here's to a healthy week.

Alicia :)

2 likes

Thanks Alicia,

I'll do an 'update Pledge' post next weekend (on Sunday) and I'll tag all the Pledgers who've joined in this thread so that we can all 'update' - if we want to. :-)

Yes, here's to a healthy week ahead. :-)

Zest :-) xx

1 like

A very good idea and look forward to it.

Well done to you for taking this on board.

Alicia :) xx

1 like

Here is the Update post, as promised:

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

Here is a new Pledge post for the week of 21st August 2017 to 27th August 2018 inclusive:

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

Hi, Zest.

I only out occasionally and probably blow my nutritional fuse in doing so. Do you find good intelligence that allows you to make decisions, do you plan your choices in advance and what do you do if you don't find a healthy option. I have to admit that I have only just found nutritional information on the website of my favourite eating house so I'm going to comb through this and see how many healthy choices I can find. Good look.

1 like

Hi Greyone,

Thanks for your lovely reply, and I would say that it varies regarding how well I succeed in eating healthily when I 'eat out' - and partly this Pledge came from having an experience the week before last when I definitely overate and chose some less healthy options - so I wanted to try to ensure I 'chose better' the next times.

I will pre-choose if a menu is available online - so that the 'heat of the decision' isn't forced at the time - but when it's not available online, then I try to take slightly more time at the table deciding.

Good luck to you in your endeavours to find some healthy choices when you're combing through that menu. I hope there will be some there that you like.

Hi again Greyone,

You asked me what I'd do if I didn't find a healthy option, and I think I didn't answer that question, but on reflection - I think I'd actually walk out and go somewhere else! But thankfully, I usually do find something healthy on the menu. (Except for that time I mentioned when the gremlins took over and hijacked me! My choices weren't healthy at all that night, but I am good a higher percentage of the time, these days. )

1 like

Hi, thanks for your responses. I think in future whenever I go somewhere I'll try and sneak a look at the menu to see how well they describe the meals. If they talk of calories etc at all.I only just discovered after your post that my local has an online menu and nutritional information, not easy to find but it's there and in the UK I think we're very hot on what they call "Big Plate Meals".

So thanks and good luck with your pledge.

1 like

Brilliant that your local has an online menu and nutritional information available too - well done for finding it, so you can pre-plan. I think it definitely helps.

Here's to a great week. :-)

You may also like...