Healthy Eating
37,398 members6,204 posts

Vegetable Risotto Tonight :-)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to have at least 2 Non-meat recipes per week, and this is what I had tonight. It turned out ok - so I wanted to share it with you:

Vegetable Risotto (Serves 2)

Ingredients:

1 Red Pepper

Broccoli

Butternut squash

Mushrooms

1 chopped white onion

2 cloves of garlic, crushed

Drizzle olive oil

100g fresh spinach

100g Spanish paella rice

500ml vegetable stock

30g Parmesan cheese (NB: If you're Vegetarian, then use a suitable vegetarian cheese)

Method:

1. Chop the vegetables (red pepper, broccoli, butternut squash and mushrooms) and put on a baking tray, and then drizzle with olive oil, and bake for approx. 20 minutes at 180’C

2. Chop the onion and crush the garlic, and put both in a large frying pan, and then sauté with olive oil for a few minutes, and then add 100g paella rice, and stir through for 1 minute.

3. Add 500ml vegetable stock, and stir whilst simmering for 15 minutes

4. Add the roasted vegetables to the pan, and stir through, and continue cooking – adding more hot water (if required) and cook for approx. 10 more minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.

5. Add the spinach during this last phase, and ensure this is cooked through.

6. Stir through Parmesan cheese (30g) at the end and serve.

This recipe is approx 600 calories per person.

It was very tasty. I really enjoyed it.

I think it might be good to add some nuts (pine nuts or cashew nuts) for more protein, but it was filling and delicious - and I will definitely have it again.

Please share what you've had for your evening meal - if you want to - I really enjoy hearing what people have had, as it is great to share meal ideas.

Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Zest :-)

28 Replies
oldestnewest

Nutritious it is!

2 likes

Yay, I was hoping for 'nutritious' - thanks for your reply! :-)

2 likes

Hi zest

Another healthy meal, it looks delicious 😋 I hope you enjoy the rest of your night

Rosie 😊

1 like

Thanks rosie-2015, I hope you have a lovely evening yourself and that the weekend is a good one. :-) xxx

1 like

Thanks zest

I haven't got anything planned, we were out getting paint for our bedroom today, my other half is decorating it next week.

I'll be having a restful night tomorrow while he's at the pub 😂

Rosie 😊

1 like

Hi Rosie,

Great that you're having your bedroom decorated - hope you got some paint that you like.

A restful night tomorrow sounds good - I've not got any plans yet for the weekend, which I'm glad about, because I am hoping to chill-out a bit. I hope the weather will be good though - so we can get out and about. I think it's going to be nice weather. Fingers crossed. :-)

I had a meal out last night, and put on 2 pounds overnight... so I'm trying to be careful with my food intake for the weekend, so I can hopefully get rid of the remainder of my excess holiday pounds...

1 like

Hi zest

I wouldn't worry about the holiday weight you've got that cracked, you have it sussed zest and most of all you have the will power, I have faith in you,

If you manage a nice walk with lunch or coffee at the end of it I hope to hear from you

Rosie 😊

1 like

The weather is looking good - so I think a walk is on the agenda. Hope it's nice for you - and will catch up with you later :-) xx

1 like

A lovely looking meal

1 like

Thanks Caroline62 - I appreciate your reply, and hope you have a lovely weekend. :-) xx

You to thankyou

1 like

:-)

Looks lovely but just a tiny point about using parmesan. It's not actually vegetarian. There are substitutes for those who only use vegetarian cheeses.

Dee

1 like

Hi Dee,

Thanks for pointing that out - I didn't actually know that... I think I'll re-name the recipe 'Vegetable Risotto' as a result. Many thanks.

Hope you have a great weekend.

I could eat that now, Zest!

Mx

1 like

:-) xx

1 like

Ooooh looks beautiful!

1 like

Thank you - I liked the colourful array of vegetables - they tasted great too. Thanks for your lovely reply. :-)

1 like

Hi Zest, sorry if I may be a little late on your post but I wanted to say that looks great! Vegetable risotto is my go-to dish which I have almost everyday. Sometimes I substitute the ride with other grains or seeds like buckaheat, millet, quinoa etc. But I find brown rice works best because it retains the most texture and absorbs much more flavour than white rice. It also has endless more health benefits.

May I suggest you add some chopped eggplant next time. It's delicious in risotto :)

1 like

Hi DMP1391,

Thank you so much for your lovely reply - and I like your suggestions for varying it with other grains, and also adding some chopped eggplant - I will definitely be trying those suggestions out.

Hope you're having a great week. I love risotto - so tasty!

Sounds lovely I’ve never made it. Brown rice is better for you they say white rice can put on weight round your middle. I’m going to make it

1 like

I hope you enjoy it! :-)

That looks so amazing, Zest !

Did you post this whilst I was banned, as I've only just spotted it?

Mx

1 like

Thanks Mel, I posted this one about 3 months ago. :-)

It as it came up as a related post, & I clicked as I love rissotto! :) x

1 like

Me too. :-) xx

1 like

I'm such a Shrimp risotto freak but this looks so amazing will have to save all my leftover veggie's and make a batch. Seems we always have extra fresh hanging around not used and not enough to make a meal, normally goes in the home made dog food. Nothing goes to waste we do not believe in that in this house. We only eat grass fed beef and cage free antibotic chickens souce checked or locally bought. Seafood is carefully bought at the seafood market only fresh if frozen like shrimp USA. You are such an incredible cook having such a great time going through your recipes and pinning!

1 like

Hi cherv

You are so kind to say that - thank you. I feel like a home cook who likes to experiment a little - but I have to say I really do enjoy what I cook, and I like to occasionally try new recipes, as I often have similar meals otherwise!

I bet your Shrimp Risotto is really yummy!

You may also like...