Healthy Eating
33,308 members β€’ 4,787 posts

Gut health

Gut health

So I have been reading the book by Dr Michael Mosley, The Clever Gut Diet (there is also a documentary on BBC iPlayer by him which is the book summed up bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b... just in case anyone wants to watch) and one of the things in the book is about fermented veg, and introducing good bacteria in to the body, well I looked in to this further and was meaning to give it a go but always found an excuse not to, also there were things I wasn't sure of, so today I did a gut health fermented food workshop which was a hands on way to show you how to make fermented veg (and fruit). I roped my partner in to come with me and we made a mix of bits of cabbage, red onion, green pepper, cauliflower, leak, carrot and garlic and grated most of it (my partner thought grating red onion was a good idea so we also got to have a good cry) and mix this with a 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and squeezed until there was lots of juice. As you can see from the picture we have packed it in a small jar and it's submerged in its own juice to ferment. Now it's a case of waiting and in a weeks time we can try it or wait the recommended 6 weeks ( it's possible to start eating it after few days and still get the benefits of the good bacteria) so it's a waiting game to see how it turns out πŸ˜‹

We were told we can ferment anything, left over pulp from juicing, salads, nuts and seeds, so I will be doing some experiments with ingredients latter on, although I did have the thought after we had finished the workshop that if I leave certain fruits to ferment I may end up with an alcoholic substance...... hmm I think more research will be needed but I will update you all on how my little jar turns out.

3 Replies
oldest β€’ newest
2 likes

This is great, and I'll look forward to reading your update on how it all turns out. :-)

It looks really interesting. I don't see an airlock on your jar, so I hope you are "burping your veg".

You may also like...