Healthy Eating

Healthy Cake Recipe

Healthy Cake Recipe

Hi everyone,

I baked a couple of cakes today - and wanted to share the recipe here. I've posted this recipe before, in the Weight Loss forum, but never in this one - and I'd like it to be available here too, as I think it is a healthy recipe, and I'd like to see what people think.

Recipe (Makes 1 Cake):

Preheat oven to 180’C (fan oven)

Use a loaf tin liner

Mix together in a bowl:

2 mashed bananas

50g chopped dried apricots or dried cranberries

50g seed mix

50g sultanas or mixed fruit

100g glace cherries (NB: maybe omit these or substitute for other dried fruit if you want to reduce the sugar content more of this cake)

75g jumbo oats

75g ground almonds

75g wholemeal spelt flour

50ml olive oil

capful of vanilla essence (although maybe almond essence might be nice as an alternative)

1 egg

splash of milk if the consistency seems a bit dry

Press the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45 to 50 mins or until brown on top and a knife/skewer comes out clean.

Zest :-)

29 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi zest

Thanks for posting this recipe it sounds 😋 delicious and healthy,

Rosie 😊

1 like

Hi Rosie,

Thanks - it is a really tasty cake - I usually have a piece every day. Lovely with a cup of tea.

1 like

Sounds lovely! Im going to def give this cake a go! Thanku!😊

1 like

Great Kaytlou - I hope you enjoy it. :-)

It looks lovely and healthy :)

Will defiantly give it a try (but need to find a vegan substitute for the egg)

1 like

Hi benwl

Sometimes I don't include an egg, as I don't always have any available, and it tastes just as good without one...! :-)

Thanks for your reply, and I hope you enjoy making it, if you decide to give it a try.

1 like

do you know about chia "eggs " ? flax seeds can also be used instead. if you google it you will find the proportions but I think its 1 tbs chia seeds ground to a powder and 3 tbs water -add and elave to sit until gooey. this is the equivalent of 1 egg .

check out " Minimalist Baker " website for lots of vegan /gluten free baking and other recipes

1 like

Hi alchemilla12,

Thanks so much for your suggestions regarding alternatives for the egg. Chia seeds sound really good as a substitute.

Hope you're having a great week.

Sounds delicious! Any idea of the calorie count?

2 likes

Hi Persianpeach,

Yes, I do. If you cut the cake into 10 slices, then it works out at 206 calories (approx) per slice, and 172 calories per slice if you cut the cake into 12 slices. I have probably 'over-estimated' slightly, as I tend to do that when I'm calculating calories, but it's an approximation.

2 likes

Thank you for your prompt reply, I shall make it this week with my daughter who's on summer holidays right now. Great to know the calories, I find that if I'm aware of the calories it helps me to keep on track for the rest of the day.

1 like

Great, I hope you enjoy it. I usually use a jug and mash the bananas in that, and then I put the wet ingredients with that first - i.e. the oil, vanilla essence, egg and I usually add some milk too, I then add the wet mixture to all the dry ingredients and stir to mix them all together with a wooden spoon, before putting it into the baking tray. Having a cake liner to fit the tin (2lb loaf tin shape) really helps as well.

It's very easy to make. :-)

Hope you and your daughter enjoy making it - and that you have a great week.

Sounds great but the glace cherries are high in sugar. Maybe substitute another dried fruit ?

Dee

1 like

Hi Dee,

Absolutely - you're right about the glace cherries - they are very high in sugar, so the cake would be healthier without them, but I admit I usually include them. :-)

Another dried fruit as a substitute would be ideal.

Hope you have a really good week.

p.s. I have adapted the recipe to include your comment about the cherries, as you've made an excellent point! Thank you. :-)

Oops. Didn't mean to sound like a purist. All dried fruit of course contains high levels of sugar.

Your cake is cerainly healthier than my Christmas cake !

1 like

I didn't take it that way, Dee, I really appreciated your comment - yes, all dried fruit is sugary, but some is more sugary than others. :-) I am still going to add glace cherries to mine, but people can choose to vary their ingredients if they want to make the cake.

My version was developed after talking to another forum member called Ruth_Canal_Runner, who had experimented with various ingredients - I can't tag her as she's not a member of Healthy eating, but she helped me to find a cake that was healthier than the ones I'd previously made - which had contained 'extra sugar' etc. :-) People can vary their ingredients to suit their personal tastes and preferences.

1 like

I think your cake looks lovely Zest . I love cherries but not the flavour or texture of glacé ones. When a recipe lists them I substitute a few frozen ones. They thaw as the cake bakes so they don't go mushy and you get a little burst of juice when you bite into one! I think it's great to have a recipe which can be adapted 😀

1 like

Hi Fran182716

Wow, that's a good idea re: frozen cherries - I will definitely try the recipe using some of those some time - thanks for the great suggestion.

1 like

I will use the cherries 🍒 I love them!

Thanks for the tips on how you mix the ingredients it sounds even more straightforward now. Looking forward to making it :-)

1 like

Great! I hope you enjoy it. :-)

Thank you Zest for posting that, it is certainly a very healthy recipe and I will be giving it a try for sure.

Alicia

:)

1 like

Hi Alicia,

Great, I really hope you enjoy it.

I always cut mine up into slices and freeze them, so I just have a slice each day. :-)

Two minds think alike as when I make anything for myself I always freeze slices and it's ideal as you cannot overeat then.

Hope you are having a good day.

Alicia :)

1 like

This looks really tasty, Zest!

I wonder whether buckwheat flour would work as another gluten free alternative?

I'm not a glace cherry fan, so will substitute medjool dates. They're high sugar, but are a low GI fruit as they take a long time to digest.

Is this a cake recipe that gets pleasantly sticky after a few days in a cake tin, like parkin?

Mx

1 like

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your lovely reply - and your suggestion to substitute Medjool dates for the glace cherries is a really good one - I will look forward to trying that version at some point in the future.

I don't think it gets sticky after a few days - but I usually cut it up fairly quickly and freeze the slices, so I don't actually know. :-)

Hope you're having a great evening.

I love date & walnut cake, which looks a little like yours.

I wondered if you'd made one for now, & one for later. ;)

I'm not sure I could keep cake, even two, long enough to freeze!

Mx

1 like

Oh no, I feel the need to freeze them as soon as I make them - because then I just get out 1 slice a day for myself and my hubby, and that way we won't over-eat. :-) I have been a bit of an over-eater in the past, which is how I got to be 5 stones heavier than I am today. But I am thankful that I no longer do that nowadays. :-)

If it's easy to get your Date and Walnut cake recipe - I would value having that. It sounds lovely. :-)

Such self control! I'm more likely to eat the whole cake in two days, then be good for the next three months. :-/

I used a basic melted butter, molasses (for minerals) & syrup gingerbread recipe, which I like because it goes lovely & sticky if I can manage not to eat it too soon. I substituted ginger for mixed spice, & added lot of dates & walnuts. It also works well with added baking apples & caraway seed or poppy seeds. The good thing about adding fruit, nuts & seeds is they're healthy, & pad out an otherwise unhealthy cake with something more nutritious.

This is good, if you're not one for whinging recipes, but I use walnuts not pecans: theguardian.com/lifeandstyl...

It also works well with beetroot instead of carrots, but wear gloves for grating!

I need to start experimenting with baking with non-wheat flours, but all I've tried so far are pancakes with buckwheat or oats. Tasty & more protein.

Mx

1 like

Thanks Mel, I am very happy to have all that information, and I will hope to experiment and try out some new cakes. I like the idea of making that cake with Beetroot, and I shall ensure I wear gloves for the grating!

I'm glad I have my rule for 'no eating' after my evening meal, otherwise all this talk of cake would have me reaching for another slice. I know you also practice intermittent fasting windows, so I know you are safe too. :-)

Zest :-) xx

1 like

You may also like...