Scrumptious Lunch :-)

Scrumptious Lunch :-)

Hi everyone,

Hope you're enjoying the weekend. I had a tasty lunch today - mixture of salads, plus a few nuts and seeds, with some smoked salmon, avocado, goat's cheese and a pickled egg, and a drizzle of Extra Virgin olive oil. I thought it was particularly colourful - and full of nutrients.

I hope you are enjoying the weekend, and please do share what you've enjoyed today - if you want to share. I am going to have a Roast chicken dinner later, with lots of vegetables and some Jersey new potatoes, so I'm looking forward to that.

I've had a busy day, but did get out for a nice walk earlier, and have been relaxing a bit this afternoon.

Zest :-)

Skip

Featured Content

Follow the community

Discuss all aspects of nutrition, from specific foods to recipes and more. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits.

Get Started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

16 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Looks too good to eat! Don't forget to print the picture of the meal so you can keep it!

• I've got the photo on my phone, Activity2004 - it is a 'good-looking' meal!!! :-) I hope you're having a lovely weekend. :-)

• Hi zest I agree with activity2004 it looks to good to eat, it looks delicious, I'm glad you're having a nice weekend

Rosie 😊 xx

• Thanks rosie-2015,

I'm cooking the Roast chicken meal now - got my steamer out for the first time in ages to steam the Jersey Royal new potatoes - and the broccoli, and really looking forward to trying them. My first taste of new potatoes of this year - so excited! :-)

Hope you're enjoying the weekend, and that the sun is shining. 8-)

• Hi zest enjoy your meal it sounds delicious

Rosie xx 😊

• Hi Rosie,

It was lovely thanks! :-) Really enjoyed it. Hope you have had an enjoyable meal yourself, and wishing you a really great evening.

Good luck for your weigh-in tomorrow - I am also doing my monthly weigh-in for the Maintainer's Club, so I am hoping that the roast dinner won't have affected my weight too much. :-)

Zest :-) xxx

• What a lovely mix of ingredients.

I started the day with preparing a 'slow cooker' chicken curry . Chopped vegetables 600g. Gently fried pieces of chicken(410g) with a little oil, curry powder, extra cumin. All mixed together with a tin of chopped tomatoes.

I Put it in the slow cooker for 7 hours. Served it for 4 people with rice and crusty bread. There were enough vegetables for me to keep away from the bread__one of my weaknesses!

Tasty and filling and around 300 calories , extra for the rice and bread.

It was lovely not to do any extra cooking and I am now having a relaxed evening. Wish I had taken a picture of the meal.

• Hi Roset16,

Your 'slow cooker' Chicken Curry sounds really delicious! I bet the depth of flavour was enhanced and I hope you all enjoyed it. I would have loved to see a picture of it, but maybe next time! :-)

Glad you're relaxing for the evening, and wishing you an excellent week ahead.

• You are getting the best out of your curry by slow cooking. We even keep ours for 24 hours before entertaining guests to a curry. I hope the rice was brown rice but although the crusty bead is appealing you really don't need it with rice.

Have you tried thinly sliced cucumber with plain full fat yoghourt to accompany a curry meal? We like our curries a little on the hot side so the yoghourt cools it down. There's a great Indian curry spice supplier in York called Rafis Spice shop where they make the spice packs up to a recipe of your choice. You get the whole seed pods and the odd pice of cinamon bark; available on line. We find that cheap cuts of lamb or mutten make great curries because the spices tenderise the meat. It's good to see people enjoying their food. Tibbly

• I think it is a good idea to serve a curry 24 hours later. So much more flavour.

Rice--I prefer to use wild rice, sometimes with added brown but Lately I've used a mix of white, red and wild which has a lovely taste. But as some of my family do not eat rice It is easy enough to serve a lovely crusty baguette for them.

Curry is so versatile isn't it. 😊

• We must look out for wild rice as we've never tried it. My wife stirs in a generous teaspoonful of cumin into the rice after it is cooked. It looks good, tastes good, and by golly it does you good! Do you remember that slogan? Tibbly

• You can buy the wild rice with red rice at Holland and Barrett health food shops. Buy wild with brown is quite a few shops these days. Good hunting.

Like the sound of cumin stirred into rice.

• Looks wonderful! Never had a pickled egg. Do you pickle them yourself. I do have some hard-boiled eggs in the fridge. :)

• Hi Rusti,

Thank you! :-) No, I tend to buy them pre-pickled from the supermarket, but I think it should be easy to pickle them yourself - and they'd be a lot cheaper that way - so if you do it, please let me know how you get on, and I'll give it a go as well.

I'd not tried pickled eggs before either, but over the past year I discovered they are really nice. :-)

• Hello Zest, your photo demonstrates how important presentation is as well as content. That looks a really great salad meal with a good variety. We have a salad meal every lunchtime and have our big meal in the evening at about 7 o'clock. Other correspondents could take a good lesson from what they see on your plate as they would feel a lot better for it. You could add a slice of wholemeal bread. I'm glad to see that you enjoy your food as we do; who could fail to enjoy a meal like that? Tibbly

• Hi Tibblington,

Thanks so much for your very kind appraisal of my lunch - and yes, a slice of wholemeal bread would be a welcome addition - but that day my hubby was wondering whether he tolerates bread or not - as he'd been experiencing excess 'windy' symptoms - so that was why we didn't have any that day. Do you think bread could cause those symptoms, or maybe something else...?

As you know, from our previous post all about homemade bread - I really enjoy wholemeal bread. :-)

Great to hear you enjoy a salad meal at lunchtimes. I tend to do it more in the Summer months, and I also have my main meal in the evening.

Hope you're enjoying your week so far.

You may also like...