Healthy Eating
29,535 members3,832 posts

Vegetarian Recipe: Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry with Cashew Nuts.

Vegetarian Recipe: Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry with Cashew Nuts.

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to have Vegetarian food today, but I admit that I ended up succumbing to a special offer of Roast chicken when I was shopping, but I have pursued looking for a nice recipe that I like the look of, and I am hoping to do this later this week - for an evening meal. When I do it, I'll add the photo to accompany it - and pledging that here will spur me to 'do' it.

The recipe is from Anita Bean's "The Vegetarian Athlete's Cookbook" and it is called:

Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry with Cashew Nuts (Serves 2):

Ingredients:

1 tbsp light olive oil or rapeseed oil

1 small onion, chopped

1-2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 tbsp medium curry paste

2 carrots, sliced

1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks

125g (4oz) broccoli florets

400g (14oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

50g (2oz) cashew nuts

Method:

Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan and stir-fry the onion for 4 mins or until translucent

Add the garlic and continue cooking for a further 30-60 seconds. Stir in the curry paste, carrots and sweet potato and cook for 1 minute. Add approximately 200ml hot water, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the remaining vegetables and chickpeas and continue cooking for 10 minutes until the vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally, adding a little more water if necessary

Stir in the cashew nuts and serve with cooked wholegrain basmati rice.

Nutrition per serving:

557 cals; 20g protein; 24g fat (4g saturates); 57g carbs (18g total sugars); 17g fibre

This looks like a really tasty and easy to prepare recipe, so I am keen to give it a go later in the week.

Zest :-)

21 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi zest that sounds delicious and as you say quick to make, I look forward to hearing how much you enjoy it and to see the pictures. I'm having a few stomach problems so my diet is really bland but it doesn't stop me enjoying seeing all the nice posts with tasty recipes. I hope you're enjoying your weekend

Rosie 😊x

2 likes

Hi Rosie,

I am sorry to hear you're having some stomach problems - and I really hope you can get some relief from that soon, and hopefully get back to a less bland diet.

I am glad you are enjoying seeing posts about tasty recipes - I love those too!!! :-) I hope to have a photo to accompany this post when I do the recipe - and I hope it will be as tasty as I'm anticipating. :-) I do love nuts, so I suspect the combination of cashew nuts with the chick peas and sweet potato will be good. :-)

Enjoy your evening! Good luck for your weigh-in tomorrow. I am also going to weigh-in for the Maintainer's Club, so I am hoping that my Roast Chicken dinner tonight doesn't scupper my weight too much. :-)

2 likes

thanks iv taken a note of everything looking forward to trying this, xoxoxo🌺

2 likes

Great! Me too - I can't wait to try it too. Let's hope it's delicious! :-)

1 like

Hi grace111 - hope you're having a good week. Just wondered if you've tried this recipe yet - I have to admit, after I bought the ingredients, I haven't made it yet... I keep getting distracted by other things when I'm shopping, and then end up using up the other things.

I will however hope to try it out later this week - all being well.

Was just wondering if you'd tried it - and if so, if you liked it. :-)

1 like

Thanks for this . I have been too busy to do any real planning over the past week it's good to see a lovely recipe. I'll try it out later this week. Have a half salmon in my freezer. Cut it into portions. Any good suggestions? 😊

1 like

Hi Roset16,

I hope you enjoy it when you try it out. Wow, great to hear you've got half a salmon in your freezer and you've cut it into portions. I usually just put Cajun spices on salmon steak and then bake it in the oven in a foil parcel with some olive oil. I find that tasty.

Maybe put a post up to ask the community for more ideas? I imagine that people will have a few good ideas.

Hope you are enjoying the Bank Holiday (if you have one where you live) and that you have a great week.

1 like

This recipe sounds delicious Zest! Thanks for sharing 👍

1 like

Thanks Willgetslim - I am hoping to make it later this week, or maybe on the weekend. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to make it too. :-)

1 like

Hi Zest, a very good and delicious recipe, I will try it, too. At me too problems with a stomach, it is impossible to eat fat anything. Has found recently the book with recipes of not fat meal, look you in it too something will be pleasant. Http: // amzn.to/2ogrceW

1 like

Glad you like the recipe, Elen84 - I hope you have had a great week. :-)

Zest hello. Just wanted to say thank you for a delicious recipe. I made it last night and it's yummy. I have to be GF due to a thyroid condition and this recipe is perfect. Thanks for sharing. 😀

2 likes

Hi Hidden,

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed it, and that it was what you were looking for! :-) I have bought the cashew nuts and the chick peas, so I am hoping to try it soon, but it may not be till mid week next week now, as I have already got things I need to use up over the weekend! :-)

Wishing you a great weekend.

1 like

Zest thank you and you too. You will really enjoy it. Let us know what you think. 😀

2 likes

Great information. I LIKE IT VERY MUCH.

1 like

Just to say, I finally managed to make this today! 3 months after originally posting it.

It was delicious, and I will definitely be having this again in the future - nutritious as well as delicious!

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

1 like

Hi Zest ,

This looks fab!

I've found out how to tag you, but I'm still working on how to do a photo montage! ;)

Mx

1 like

Thanks BadHare - your tag has worked! I"m sure you'll be doing some Photo Montages very soon!

Thanks for your lovely reply and have a great day!

Zest :-) xx

1 like

I'll try, you too! x

1 like

Looks really gorgeous!!!

1 like

Thanks HappyBeee

Zest :-) xx

You may also like...