Vegetarian Recipe: Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry with Cashew Nuts.

Vegetarian Recipe: Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry with Cashew Nuts.

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to have Vegetarian food today, but I admit that I ended up succumbing to a special offer of Roast chicken when I was shopping, but I have pursued looking for a nice recipe that I like the look of, and I am hoping to do this later this week - for an evening meal. When I do it, I'll add the photo to accompany it - and pledging that here will spur me to 'do' it.

The recipe is from Anita Bean's "The Vegetarian Athlete's Cookbook" and it is called:

Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry with Cashew Nuts (Serves 2):

Ingredients:

1 tbsp light olive oil or rapeseed oil

1 small onion, chopped

1-2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 tbsp medium curry paste

2 carrots, sliced

1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks

125g (4oz) broccoli florets

400g (14oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

50g (2oz) cashew nuts

Method:

Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan and stir-fry the onion for 4 mins or until translucent

Add the garlic and continue cooking for a further 30-60 seconds. Stir in the curry paste, carrots and sweet potato and cook for 1 minute. Add approximately 200ml hot water, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the remaining vegetables and chickpeas and continue cooking for 10 minutes until the vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally, adding a little more water if necessary

Stir in the cashew nuts and serve with cooked wholegrain basmati rice.

Nutrition per serving:

557 cals; 20g protein; 24g fat (4g saturates); 57g carbs (18g total sugars); 17g fibre

This looks like a really tasty and easy to prepare recipe, so I am keen to give it a go later in the week.

Zest :-)

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Follow the community

Discuss all aspects of nutrition, from specific foods to recipes and more. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits.

Get Started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

21 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi zest that sounds delicious and as you say quick to make, I look forward to hearing how much you enjoy it and to see the pictures. I'm having a few stomach problems so my diet is really bland but it doesn't stop me enjoying seeing all the nice posts with tasty recipes. I hope you're enjoying your weekend

Rosie 😊x

• Hi Rosie,

I am sorry to hear you're having some stomach problems - and I really hope you can get some relief from that soon, and hopefully get back to a less bland diet.

I am glad you are enjoying seeing posts about tasty recipes - I love those too!!! :-) I hope to have a photo to accompany this post when I do the recipe - and I hope it will be as tasty as I'm anticipating. :-) I do love nuts, so I suspect the combination of cashew nuts with the chick peas and sweet potato will be good. :-)

Enjoy your evening! Good luck for your weigh-in tomorrow. I am also going to weigh-in for the Maintainer's Club, so I am hoping that my Roast Chicken dinner tonight doesn't scupper my weight too much. :-)

• thanks iv taken a note of everything looking forward to trying this, xoxoxo🌺

• Great! Me too - I can't wait to try it too. Let's hope it's delicious! :-)

• Hi grace111 - hope you're having a good week. Just wondered if you've tried this recipe yet - I have to admit, after I bought the ingredients, I haven't made it yet... I keep getting distracted by other things when I'm shopping, and then end up using up the other things.

I will however hope to try it out later this week - all being well.

Was just wondering if you'd tried it - and if so, if you liked it. :-)

• Thanks for this . I have been too busy to do any real planning over the past week it's good to see a lovely recipe. I'll try it out later this week. Have a half salmon in my freezer. Cut it into portions. Any good suggestions? 😊

• Hi Roset16,

I hope you enjoy it when you try it out. Wow, great to hear you've got half a salmon in your freezer and you've cut it into portions. I usually just put Cajun spices on salmon steak and then bake it in the oven in a foil parcel with some olive oil. I find that tasty.

Maybe put a post up to ask the community for more ideas? I imagine that people will have a few good ideas.

Hope you are enjoying the Bank Holiday (if you have one where you live) and that you have a great week.

• This recipe sounds delicious Zest! Thanks for sharing 👍

• Thanks Willgetslim - I am hoping to make it later this week, or maybe on the weekend. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to make it too. :-)

• Hi Zest, a very good and delicious recipe, I will try it, too. At me too problems with a stomach, it is impossible to eat fat anything. Has found recently the book with recipes of not fat meal, look you in it too something will be pleasant. Http: // amzn.to/2ogrceW

• Glad you like the recipe, Elen84 - I hope you have had a great week. :-)

• Zest hello. Just wanted to say thank you for a delicious recipe. I made it last night and it's yummy. I have to be GF due to a thyroid condition and this recipe is perfect. Thanks for sharing. 😀

• Hi Chinagirl2016,

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed it, and that it was what you were looking for! :-) I have bought the cashew nuts and the chick peas, so I am hoping to try it soon, but it may not be till mid week next week now, as I have already got things I need to use up over the weekend! :-)

Wishing you a great weekend.

• Zest thank you and you too. You will really enjoy it. Let us know what you think. 😀

• Great information. I LIKE IT VERY MUCH.

• Just to say, I finally managed to make this today! 3 months after originally posting it.

It was delicious, and I will definitely be having this again in the future - nutritious as well as delicious!

healthunlocked.com/healthye...

• Hi Zest ,

This looks fab!

I've found out how to tag you, but I'm still working on how to do a photo montage! ;)

Mx

• Thanks BadHare - your tag has worked! I"m sure you'll be doing some Photo Montages very soon!

Thanks for your lovely reply and have a great day!

Zest :-) xx

• I'll try, you too! x

• Looks really gorgeous!!!

• Thanks HappyBeee

Zest :-) xx

You may also like...