Creamy Swede Soup (my version with added sweet potato)

Creamy Swede Soup (my version with added sweet potato)

Hi everyone,

Over the weekend, I pledged to try a new vegetable that I don't often use, and my husband chose Swede. So, we had some Swede chips to accompany a meal over the weekend - which were delicious - will definitely do those again, and here is a soup that I made, and had for lunch today, and I've frozen the remaining batches of soup for another time.

Creamy Swede Soup

(with some Sweet potato added)

N.B. I've adapted the recipe in places, and my adaptations are in bold print

Serves 4-6

Prep: 10 mins

Cook: 40 – 50 mins

Freeze: Up to 3 months (before cream is added).

Ingredients:

25g butter

(I used 2 tablespoons of olive oil)

2 medium onions, chopped

750g swede (trimmed weight), cut into cubes

(I used half a medium sized swede and a large sweet potato)

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 litre hot vegetable stock (I used approx 1.5 litres of stock)

1 tbsp honey (I didn't add this)

Half nutmeg (I didn't add this)

150ml single cream, plus extra to garnish (I used 2 tablespoons of single cream)

1. Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, and fry for 6-8 mins or until lightly golden. Stir in the swede and a pinch of salt, cover with a lid, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in the stock, add the honey, and bring to the boil, grating in the nutmeg as you do so. Simmer for 20 – 30 mins or until the swede is completely soft.

2. Cool briefly, then whiz in a blender until smooth and velvety. You may need to do this in batches (although I didn't need to, as it whizzed up fine in a large pan). Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then stir in the cream. Serve each bowlful with a swirl of cream (I didn't bother with the extra swirl of cream) and a good grinding of black pepper (I forgot to add the black pepper).

From “The Soup Book” by Sophie Grigson.

I had my bowl of soup with some wholemeal bread with peanut butter on it, and it was really tasty.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

I'll definitely be having Swede again - it's a versatile vegetable and delicious.

Zest :-)

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Get tips and advice on eating healthy

Develop healthier eating habits & get more active. Our community helps to keep you on track.

Get started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • This sounds really good Zest! I'll try to find the time and start working on it in the next few weeks. Thanks for posting this.

• Love the sound of this and will try it out. 😊

• Thanks Activity2004 and Roset16 - I hope you enjoy it when you try it.

Zest :-)

You may also like...