You may already know this, but I only discovered this about a year ago, and since then, I try to remember to help my mushrooms get a good dose of sunshine, and it's sunny today - so here they are sun-bathing ready for my evening meal.
Copied from an article in the Daily Mail (dated 2013):
"Eating mushrooms could provide as much vitamin D as swallowing a supplement - but you need to put them in the sun first"
Link to original article:
"Consumers are advised to take the mushrooms - any variety will work - out of any wrapping and place them outdoors between the hours of 10am and 3pm for up to 60 minutes during the late spring and summer months."
The lead author of the study (Dr Holick) said 'Yes, we are talking about regular mushrooms. Just take them out of the packaging and place them in the sunshine. It doesn't matter which way up they are, after about 30 minutes they should produce a good source of vitamin D,' he said.
And cooking does not affect vitamin levels:
Dr Holick said 'Many experts believe that cooking will not damage the vitamin levels, and it is perfectly stable with heat. If anything, it make it far easier to absorb the nutrient.'
N.B. I'm a bit worried now, as I've noticed they recommended between the hours of 10am and 3pm, and I've only just put mine in the sun at 4.15pm! Next time, I'll try to do it within the time window recommended, just incase! Also, I'm wondering if it's ok to have them in the sun through the glass, so if anyone has any thoughts on that, please let me know!
To be effective, we've concluded needs to be outside!
Do you let your mushrooms sunbathe too?
p.s. This is a very funny post that Lucca10 did two years ago in the NHS weight loss community: