Sun-bathing Mushrooms - Vitamin D.

Sun-bathing Mushrooms - Vitamin D.

You may already know this, but I only discovered this about a year ago, and since then, I try to remember to help my mushrooms get a good dose of sunshine, and it's sunny today - so here they are sun-bathing ready for my evening meal. :-)

Copied from an article in the Daily Mail (dated 2013):

"Eating mushrooms could provide as much vitamin D as swallowing a supplement - but you need to put them in the sun first"

Link to original article:

dailymail.co.uk/health/arti...

"Consumers are advised to take the mushrooms - any variety will work - out of any wrapping and place them outdoors between the hours of 10am and 3pm for up to 60 minutes during the late spring and summer months."

The lead author of the study (Dr Holick) said 'Yes, we are talking about regular mushrooms. Just take them out of the packaging and place them in the sunshine. It doesn't matter which way up they are, after about 30 minutes they should produce a good source of vitamin D,' he said.

And cooking does not affect vitamin levels:

Dr Holick said 'Many experts believe that cooking will not damage the vitamin levels, and it is perfectly stable with heat. If anything, it make it far easier to absorb the nutrient.'

N.B. I'm a bit worried now, as I've noticed they recommended between the hours of 10am and 3pm, and I've only just put mine in the sun at 4.15pm! Next time, I'll try to do it within the time window recommended, just incase! Also, I'm wondering if it's ok to have them in the sun through the glass, so if anyone has any thoughts on that, please let me know!

To be effective, we've concluded needs to be outside!

Do you let your mushrooms sunbathe too?

Zest :-)

p.s. This is a very funny post that Lucca10 did two years ago in the NHS weight loss community:

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Follow the community

Discuss all aspects of nutrition, from specific foods to recipes and more. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits.

Get Started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

32 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I've just decided to put them outdoors, as I'm not sure if it works inside... lol

• I will have to try this when I have a free minute. Nice idea!😀

• That's amazing! Thanks for the heads up Zest 😎

• Cool sunglasses Dietbunny 8-)

• I'm definitely going to give it a go...

• Fantastic! :-)

• BTW, I'm sure the Weight Loss Forum would be interested in this too - is there a shortcut to sharing across two groups? Or is it a matter of cut and paste?

• Hi Dietbunny,

I have purposefully put this as an 'open' post so that members of any community can view it, and this is a post that was in the Weight loss forum two years ago, that was very funny:

• I think I saw the original photo in fact, but hadn't picked up on the story behind it, so thanks for sharing again...

Plus one of my daughters has gone vegan and I'm concerned she keeps up her vitamin levels, so this is great info to pass on to her.

• I don't think through glass would work on the same basis as you can't get a sun tan through glass. Are you sure this isn't a very early April Fool though?

• lol - It's not an April fool - at least, if it is, it's had me believing it for the past year at least - maybe even longer. :-) Yes, I think you're right, through glass isn't a good idea - I do usually put them outside, but was being a bit lazy today, and then thought about it, and have put them outside. :-)

• This was a reasonable point Grannynise so I did a quick search on Google Scholar and came up with this:

See academic.oup.com/jcem/artic... (Dr Horlick was one of the authors)

for this paragraph:

"Vitamin D is unique among hormones because it can be made in the skin from exposure to sunlight (3–7). Vitamin D comes in two forms. Vitamin D2 is obtained from the UV irradiation of the yeast sterol ergosterol and is found naturally in sun-exposed mushrooms. Vitamin D3 is synthesized in the skin and is present in oil-rich fish such as salmon, mackerel, and herring; commercially available vitamin D3 is synthesized from the cholesterol precursor 7-dehydrocholesterol naturally present in the skin or obtained from lanolin (3). Both vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 are used for food fortification and in vitamin D supplements."

Most interesting!!

• Sorry to be a wet blanket on such a fun-filled topic. Mushies are a source of Vit D2, but it's D3 we need. Back to wild oily fish and outdoor life. Cod liver oil anyone? (It says that in the article).

This is worth a read.

thehealthyhomeeconomist.com...

A quick scan of the journal article mentioned by Zest suggested the authors respected D2 more than the one above. How much sun-exposure do mushrooms need for Vid D? Growing in sun? don't know.

• Hi derrygeel - thank you so much for this article, I am always keen to read more about healthy eating information, and this article looks like a good read. I've just skim-read it for now, but I will look at it in more detail when I have a bit more time. Hope you're having an enjoyable weekend.

• i read that link that i posted more closely and I'm less than convinced I'm afraid. For one think it says she's a nutritionist. Ben Goldacre, author of bad Science - an excellent read is not convinced they are a proper profession. Dietitian, yes, but not nutritionist. And what is the evidence on gluten sensitivity that she talks about in her bio? Not robust I'd say.

Your article is from a peer reviewed journal; it looks much more reputable.

• Having given both a quick read, it seems that VitD2 from mushrooms is useful, but way less effective than VitD3 (from oily fish, red meat and eggs, and is also manufactured in our skin in sunlight), and certainly shouldn't be relied on as a supplement for those with VitD deficiency. But healthy eating which includes oily fish once or twice a week and a modicum of sunshine during the spring, summer and autumn, should ensure that we aren't deficient. As someone said, "Nothing against mushrooms, but don't rely on them for VitD!" Still, there seems no reason not to give them a bit of sun! 😎

• I don't know if I can put this link here, but I'll try - it's a previous post by Lucca10 about her Mushrooms, and it always makes me laugh:

• Brilliant! Certainly cheers up a somewhat dull Tuesday afternoon! I love it!

• :-)

• Love it!

• Lucca10 has a great sense of humour - I miss her! :-)

• Haha funny :)

• Glad it made you laugh, blackbeauty99 :-)

• It certainly did Zest :) i haven't been very well and haven't been on this forum for a while, so needed cheering up. Hope you are well Zest :)

• Oh I'm really glad it cheered you up a bit - that's a good thing, and I'm sorry to hear you've not been very well. I really hope you'll recuperate and feel better really soon. Take care of yourself and don't do too much rushing about.

I am fine thanks, and the week is going ok so far. I'm looking forward to the clock's changing on the weekend, to have the lighter evenings. I really like that. :-)

• Thankyou so much Zest :) I have been struggling quite a bit, but am getting there slowly. I am glad you are fine :) Yes i can't wait for the clocks to go back either, will be so much better having the lighter nights :)

• It only works outside unfortunately :(

• Hi Kate,

Yes, I thought about it as soon as I did it, and opted to put it outside in the direct sunshine - phew! Otherwise, I would have been wasting all that lovely sunshine. :-)

• I am eagerly awaiting the publication next month of James Wong's How to Eat Better which I have on reserve at my local library for more information about the mushroom issue and similar.

(Last year I started a Daily Mail exclusion diet, so I never follow those oh so tempting links thinking "Just one click can't hurt". I thoroughly recommend it)

• Hi GoogleMe,

I hope you'll share information on the Mushroom issue and similar when you get your book from the library. Sounds like a good book. :-)

• Who knew!!! Mushrooms grow in the dark, and then burst with Vit D when put in the light. Plants are amazing. Loving the post from Lucca 10 too! LOLS some folks have far too much time on their hands...xx

• Hi ANewMe2017,

I agree, plants are amazing. I never used to like the taste or texture of mushrooms in the past, but my taste buds and preferences have definitely changed, and now I really enjoy them in a variety of dishes. Yum!

Hope you're having a great week.

You may also like...