Fresh homemade bread today.: Hi everyone... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

52,344 members9,639 posts

Fresh homemade bread today.

Zest profile image
ZestStar

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Hidden for the bread baking challenge which we agreed between us, and I hope your loaf has gone well - looking forward to hopefully seeing a photo soon! :-)

Here is a link to the previous thread about bread that Jimtom did, which is well worth a read as there are lots of great recipe suggestions there:

healthunlocked.com/healthye....

My attempt at baking bread went well – I chose a recipe from one of Jamie Olliver’s books (‘Everyday superfood’) and the recipe is for:

Rye Soda Bread.

- (It serves 6).

Ingredients:

250g wholemeal flour, plus extra for dusting

100g rye flour

50g porridge oats

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1 large egg

300ml tub of buttermilk or natural yoghurt

1 level teaspoon of sea salt

Method:

Preheat the oven to 190’C/375’F/Gas 5.

Place both flours, the oats, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl and mix together.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk/yoghurt together, then use a fork to stir the egg mixture into the flour.

Once it starts to come together, use your lightly floured clean hands to pat and bring the dough together.

Shape the dough into a round ball and place on a lightly floured baking tray, dusting the top lightly with flour too.

Use your hands to flatten the dough into a disc, roughly 3cm deep.

Score a cross or star into the top with a knife, about half a cm deep, then bake in the centre of the oven for 40 to 45 mins, or until a firm crust has formed and it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

Transfer to a wire cooling rack, and serve slightly warm.

Jamie Olliver describes the recipe as "Super-fast, super-easy" and I have to agree with him - it is really quick and so easy to make. I used natural yoghurt for my loaf, and I've had some for lunch today, and it was soooooo delicious - and also filling. I'll definitely be baking this bread again.

Not sure how long it will keep, and I'm wondering if I can freeze it. Has anyone done that with soda bread, and does it work out ok?

Zest :-)

33 Replies

That looks divine!! :)

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Fitforit75

Thanks Kate, I was really happy with how it turned out. I think I've made a total of 3 loaves of bread in my entire life, and I've never tried soda bread before, but this one is sooooo easy to make. Really tasty too. :-)

Wow! That looks really good, I bet it tastes great too. I'm baking another right now because the one at the weekend turned out to be a bit doughy.

I'll stick a photo up later. 😊

Maybe other people would like to take part in this bit of fun?

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to

Hi Jimtom,

Thanks! I hope your second loaf turns out well - there will be scents of baking across the land, especially if other people join us for this baking challenge! Great idea. :-)

in reply to Zest

Lol scents!

Would be good to get people doing this 😀

Do I need to start a new thread to post a photo, can I not post it in here?

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to

You'd need to do a new post, because we can't post photos within other threads, but you could then link it into this one - or I could do that for you, if you need any help. But having a separate post would be great for anyone wanting to try your recipe and commenting on your recipe. :-)

in reply to Zest

Ok thank you ☺

Wow it looks delicious, if i started eating it i wouldn't be able to stop i love bread and your soda bread looks and sounds delicious

Rosie😀

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to rosie-2015

Thanks Rosie, I appreciate your comments, and I hope you have a really great week.

I've made soda bread quite often. It isn't really a keeper. The sooner it's eaten the better. However you can freeze it.

Since I've hardly ever had buttermilk in the house (my mother used to churn her own butter do there was always a ready supply of buttermilk) , I use whatever milk I have available with a dash of vinegar. It's always worked and the clan love it. The important thing is to have an acid (yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar) to activate the alkali, bread soda, to produce carbon dioxide so the bread rises.

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to

Hi Hidden,

I really appreciate your feedback and tips - because I remember you sharing a previous recipe of yours for bread, and I think I added a link to it within the thread about bread. Thanks for the tip regarding adding vinegar to milk as a substitute for buttermilk or yoghurt, and it's very helpful to know the process of how the reaction works - I found it interesting to read that.

Good to know that I can freeze the bread - if I slice it and cling-film wrap them individually and then put all the slices in a container in the freezer - hopefully that will be a good way. That's what I usually do with cake.

Thanks again, and hope you're having a great week.

in reply to Zest

You could do that, but I would find wrapping each slice individually a bit of a palaver. I'm afraid I usually take a blunt knife and use it to separate the slices. (Please don't shout at me if you butcher the lovely bread).

Nowadays when I'm making bread I tend to use a loaf tin, as the slices will be more or less the same size and I can use them for sandwiches etc.

Love the cross you have in the cake. I've never managed to get a proper cross in the ones made in a loaf tin, so the bread is always a bit bocketty, but who cares?

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to

For this loaf, I don't think it will last beyond three days, so I'm not going to freeze it this time, but another time I will. Your idea of a loaf tin is a good idea - for the sandwiches aspect - I will think about that - I am wondering if the ingredients would fit into two small loaf tins, and then I presume the baking time might vary - but maybe it would be similar time. Maybe I'm making that too complicated...

Nothing wrong with bocketty bread - it's the taste that counts in my opinion. :-) (To be honest, I don't know what the word 'bocketty' means - but I like the sound of it. Maybe I need to look that up...

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to

I'm just linking to your recipe that you posted previously:

Brown soda bread baked by derrygeel:

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

I think it looks great too.

Fran182716 profile image
Fran182716Prediabetic

Hi Zest, I have made that exact recipe and yours looks just like mine ! I haven't tried freezing it because we eat it quite quickly! (son likes it too) I've kept it in an airtight container and it's still good on the third day. 😀

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Fran182716

Hi Fran,

Oh thanks - great that our bread looks the same - I really like that recipe I must say - I couldn't believe how easy it was. That's the kind of homemade bread I'd prefer - a very easy to do one, but full of fibre and delicious. Great to know it keeps fresh in an airtight container and is still fresh on the 3rd day - I feel sure we will get through it in the next few days - so maybe I don't need to freeze it afterall. :-) Fantastic! :-)

Hope you're having a great week.

Congratulations on that wonderful loaf; now don't you dare buy that factory made rubbish again. We always bake two loaves at the same time to save oven time and then freeze one of them. I have never tried freezing soda bread; cut a chunk off and try it.

Whilst these special breads are really enjoyable can I persuade you to also make simple daily bread with wholemeal flour, yeast salt and water, nothing else. It's quick simple and rewarding. Ours keeps for at least three days.

You've started something which I hope spreads far and wide. That factory rubbish is the cause of a lot of ill health.

More happy baking! Tibbly

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to Tibblington

HI Tibbly,

Thanks for your lovely reply. I am already a convert to freshly baked bread, as I usually buy it from our local baker who makes it fresh each morning. But I enjoyed baking my own, and I will also try the simple version you've suggested as well.

Here's to freshly baked bread! :-)

in reply to Tibblington

Do you not need to leave the bread to rise? You see my mother made soda bread every day, so it seems such a simple thing to do.

To make it even simpler I keep the dry ingredients bagged so all I have to do is mix in the sour milk.

Tibblington profile image
Tibblington in reply to

Just fifteen minutes in a warm place (not an oven) then 30 minutes cooking in an oven at 240°C plus 5 minutes after removing it from the tin. One hour from start to finish. Try it : healthscams.org.uk/bake-you... As I have said elsewhere I make two at a time and freeze one so as to benefit from the oven being hot.

I mix the dough in a Kenwood Chef with a dough hook but you can quite well mix it by hand.

Good baking, Tibbly

in reply to Tibblington

Looks interesting. I'll try it sometime.

in reply to

Are sour milk and butter milk the same thing?

in reply to

Although buttermilk is sour, it's the milk that's left after the milk fat has solidified into butter. Most sour milk is soured either by time or lemon juice or vinegar.

in reply to

Ok thank you Derrygeel.

Are you from Derry?

in reply to

No. From Derrygeel 😊. A place that had 4 houses when I was growing up!

in reply to

Ok I was just wondering what your name meant, I'm from up north. :)

Mine is posted here is the link healthunlocked.com/healthye....

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to

Thanks so much Hidden - I've just collated the bread recipes together and pinned the post so that maybe other bread enthusiasts will get involved if they want to. :-)

in reply to Zest

Great, I hope it gets more people involved 😀

I see plagioclase feldspar! :)

Nice granite, too, Zest!

Zest profile image
ZestStar in reply to BadHare

lol - you really made me laugh with your reply - yes, you are very observant to detail! :-)

BadHare profile image
BadHare in reply to Zest

I like minerals more than bread. :)

My black granite worktop has a beautiful olivine crystal which the shop covered up. They must've thought it was a flaw.

You may also like...