Glycaemic Load=Kinetic Energy=1/2mv^2

It's interesting how accepting of the status quo people (in general) seem to be.

Glycaemic Load is currently measured as the amount of carbohydrate in grammes (m) multiplied by the Glycaemic index (v). Newtons second law of motion says that momentum is proportional to m X v.

What is being attempted to be calculated however is the effect on blood glucose of a food of course, which is actually the transference of energy, the relevant equation being kinetic energy as half the amount of carbohydrate multiplied by the glycaemic index squared?

BMI has been questioned recently too. Currently it is measured as bodyweight divided by height squared, but bodyweight divided by height cubed would be more appropriate, to give a measure of weight per unit volume instead of per unit area?

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Get tips and advice on eating healthy

Develop healthier eating habits & get more active. Our community helps to keep you on track.

Get started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Concerned,

I am interested by your post, and I wondered if the 'new BMI' is calculated via the second method you mentioned? I know it accounts better for taller people like myself, and I use the 'new BMI' rather than the 'standard BMI' - but I don't really know how it is calculated.

Zest :-)

• I don't know sorry. I posted the idea years ago, using the rationale that we are 3D not flat, and someone commented we aren't cuboid either :-) It kind of died a death then; or so I thought.

• If my optimal GL/natural fat way of eating catches on I'll be well pleased as I'm convinced it's a life-saver.

• Hi Concerned,

Many thanks for this, I will give it a proper read on the weekend.

Zest :-)

• BMI is being discredited as it does not take into account the type of body mass being measured . For example a healthy weight lifter could have a BMI that was classed as obese.

How much of your body mass that is fat and how much lean muscle is a better indicator of the health of an individual.

Dee

• But much harder to measure, unless you can stand in front of a mirror and judge objectively?

• There are scales that will give the proportion of fat to muscle. I have had this done as part of a health check. Home scales will do it too.

• Hmm. Still based on averages. With some you can choose a different mode for example, whether you are an athlete or sedentary. The percentage body fat can then be changed, effectively just by your perception of yourself/which mode you choose

The gold standard used to be underwater weighing, but this has now been surpassed by MRI scanning.

Waist measurement is cheap and effective.