Top 10 Reasons to Eat Your Cruciferous Veggies

Top 10 Reasons to Eat Your Cruciferous Veggies

'Everyone knows that eating vegetables has profound health benefits. But, like all foods, not all vegetables are created the same. Some are better than others in terms of nutritional content, and overall contribution to vibrant health. If you look more closely at their phytochemical [plant-based chemical] content, or the growing amount of research into their specific effects on the body and disease, a few vegetables appear to be downright “miracle” foods!

One such group of veggies are those of the Brassica family; commonly known as cruciferous. These include broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, radish, rutabaga, turnip and even arugula.

What makes this group of veggies so special? Sulforaphane.'

greenmedinfo.com/blog/top-1...

Skip

Featured Content

Follow the community

Discuss all aspects of nutrition, from specific foods to recipes and more. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits.

Get Started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

HealthUnlocked User Stories

How did you improve your fitness, general well-being or cope with your illness?

Share your story

Featured by HealthUnlocked

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Dottie,

That photo of the Brassica family looks so inviting! I love most of the vegetables within that family - especially sprouts and cauliflower. Delicious!

I don't think I've tried arugula though - might give it a go.

Wishing you a great week.

Zest :-)

• Spot on !

• Am I right in thinking that arugula is spinach in the UK?...xx

• It's rocket leaves x

• Wow. Very thorough information. Thanks. Now I'm going to search the web for low calorie brassica recipes. Cheers

• Why low calorie MidnightDancer?? Do you mean low carb??

• Cauliflower makes a good curry! With chickpeas or potatoes.

• Yes Dottie low carb... I'm still trying to find my way through the food jungle. Though I have a target to consume only 1600 calories each day [ via NHS website] so I need to watch the cals and cut the carbs too ! Thanks for the advice

Cheers

• Love kohlrabi sticks!

You may also like...