How to question misinformation?

I went to a diabetes training session yesterday, where both instructors believed and conveyed that starchy foods such as potatoes are turned to glucose more slowly than orange juice. They hold that the glycaemic index is unnecessarily complicated. Yet, if they were aware of the outcomes of glycaemic testing, they may learn that it has been known for thirty years that many starches are digested to glucose in the body faster than table sugar.

How do I ask them to check their premises, observing the respect they deserve?

4 Replies

• Do you follow The Diet Doctor? He has an article in which Pro. Jim Mann says,"I was wrong you were right. Bread is a bag of glucose." x

• Thank you for your reply beaton. If the people doing the teaching were to be more open-minded, and stay up-to-date with available knowledge, less people would suffer. To be fair, Diabetes UK and NICE for instance must be 'happy' with the current advice.

• I heard about a govt building with a cycle register on the door. Any employees who cycled to work were to register it at reception. No one there knew why they did this but the records had been carefully kept for decades. Someone was finally able to tell them cycling records were kept after world war two in govt buildings because of rationing and they had ceased to be relevant since the mid-fifties. This was earlier this year.

I think there is a similar problem with the way new information about food is completely ignored by authorities and institutions. They keep to the message they have always given without questioning it at all. I don't think there is much the individual can do other than look after themselves. Keep yourself informed and wait for the person in charge to tell them rationing is over!

• I like it!

Unfortunately so many people may be suffering in the wake, and it only takes a few good people to remain quiet and take no action.

You may also like...