Good week

I'm having a good week. I went to a new medical office. I told them about my PTSD. The nurse has worked through her PTSD and could share her experience with me. I'm telling medical professionals, my husband what I need in different situations. I used to feel like I had to do everything myself but I'm allowing people to help me as well asking for what I need. That is huge for me. I used to walk every other day but started walking every day and then adding jogging, running and sprinting in the workout. I feel better physically and emotionally. So I feel really encouraged to become my best self. Thanks for helping me along my journey.

6 Replies

• Hi willingtoheal that is great news so pleased for you. It's so great that you have found people willing to listen and share your thoughts and fears! The running and jogging that is amazing well done! There is light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for sharing this helps me a great deal! 😊🌻xx

• Thanking for taking the time to write and encourage me. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Yay!

• I was abused as a child, which has led me to feel much the same, that I have to do everything myself because no one would help me back then. So I can really relate to that feeling, and to learning to reach out to understanding and caring people for help, because I cannot do it alone!

I can also relate to your experience with exercise. I have had a similar experience, although at age 70 with 3 joint replacements, running, jogging and sprinting are not on my agenda! But regular walking, increasing the distance and difficulty, stair climbing, weight & resistance band training, and adapted yoga ("chair yoga," although not all of it is done sitting down; the chair is just there if needed for stability) have made a very great difference in my strength, flexibility, balance and general well-being. "Exercise is medicine" as they say. I get so frustrated with friends who think they can't exercise because of chronic pain. You just start where you are, even if that's just 5 minutes of stretching in bed. Then work up slowly. Eventually it pays off with DECREASED pain if you are careful not to overdo it. I always recommend starting with a pt or ot for people with chronic pain, which is most of my friends.

I'm glad you are having a good week and making progress toward healing!

• Wow thank you for sharing. Yes exercise as a child was always a safe place. It was a real escape from what was happening in my house. I used to be a runner and it felt powerful and I can feel the power that I felt as a child when I run again now. I walk and run on the grass because over the years my body doesn't like the cement. I'm listening to it. My head feels so much clearer with the exercise. I also had situations when I was younger where I had to run from people and I believe I'm still here because I could. I also had a lot of abuse as a child. I didn't feel like I could trust anyone especially the people I was suppose to be able to trust. I don't think you ever forget that but I'm learning to rely on others and am very selective as to who I allow in my life. So glad you are having a good experience with exercise. Thanks for taking time to encourage me.

• Well done!

It's great to hear about other's successes. Both the big ones and the smaller ones.

One of the mistakes I made on my recovery journey was not noticing the small accomplishments. I only saw the big goals and felt I was still far from reaching them.

I figured out that it was important to stop for a moment and give myself a compliment (which is not easy). But it's important to notice the things we did good to keep up the motivation...

• This is all such wonderful news!! You should be so proud of yourself!! I'm so happy you're gaining momentum and feeling the gains of a your hard work😀

You may also like...