PIP : Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone... - Headway

Headway
6,648 members9,046 posts

PIP

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me how this PIP stuff works as I’ve been told I can apply for it but I’m not sure if I’m eligible for it. And if it’s a simple process at all as I’ve never had to do anything like this before.

Thank you

17 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi! I would recommend you give the Scope Helpline a call. They were amazingly helpful to me - in fact I would not have realised that I could apply at all if they hadn't advised me. The process can seem daunting but if you get advice from those who know, it will be much easier, as they will give you advice on how to fill in the forms and how to manage the assessment . Also, get an advocate to attend the assessment if you can - I found this very helpful and it lowered the stress.

If I can help any further, please let me know.

I really hope it works out for you. Prepare to practice your patience - it does take a while.

2 likes

Sorry, completely forgot to actually give you the Scope number! My shirt term memory!!

0808 800 3333

1 like

Me again!

Just remembered that you can have a go at a self test to see if you might be eligible. Google 'benefits and work' or 'turn2us' - both sites have tests.

Do remember though, once you have had advice you might answer some questions differently - I did once I understood exact what the questions were getting at.

1 like

Thank you for all that. Really helps me thank you for the number aswell

Hi Harry

There are two elements of PIP. One is Daily Living, the other is Mobility. You could get just the one, or both. And there are two levels of payment, Standard and Enhanced.

The only advice I can give, is base all of the info you provide to DWP on your worst days. I was told this by Rehab Unit, it’s not telling lies, but giving them an understanding how illness affects you at your worst times.

The form is really long, and you should include as much medical evidence as you can. And it takes weeks or months to hear anything back. You will then have a face to face interview.

Good luck x

1 like

Thank you for the advice x

Hi Harold, I would also agree with the others that seeking advice first is a good thing to do. Previously you could request the booklet queationaire from the government to complete your assessment at home but now you HAVE to call the phone number as detailed on the website to begin the assessment, consider doing your research before hand and make note to help you on the phone call. I hope it goes well for you and you get what you need.

Regards

1 like

Thank you for all that will help out a lot

Get professional help filling out the form.

1 like

I’ll look into that thank you

My husband had his interview 3 weeks ago we are waiting to hear, it was a hard interview and we told the truth, it makes you feel like a fraud but my husband works but for how long I don’t know he had a brain aneurism and has another one, but the questions like can you walk 25 meters yes on a good he can walk miles, but on other days his leg gives way and he ends up on the floor, when in town people think he is drunk because his words are slurred and he falls, he looks good on the outside so they presume. I wish you well in getting PIP but I’m not holding my breath x

1 like

Thank you for the help x

Frankly I found the PIP system very unhelpful to those like me with an acquired brain injury - I got zero points and on appeal 2 - not enough to be awarded it.

1 like

Hi my son is in a care home after a assault 2 years ago he suffers a TBI , he can’t talk, is double incontinant, and is pet f

Sorry,, peg fed but they still had to go and see him n note that form they sent everyone

It does seem stressful and nerving

Get in touch with your local headway, they have people who know how to deal with pip 💙

You may also like...