Headway
5,442 members7,837 posts

PIP assessor lied! Why?

I had a PIP assessment. The assessment went ok but when the report came out it was full of untrue information.

I showed the assessor many letters and reports from Doctors and they allegedly took the details. It turned out they did not use any for the report!

E.g. one document from neuropsychologist confirmed my seizures, the fact I’ve not managed medication, and that I will have to be seizure free for at least one year before driving.

Another report from a ophthalmologist confirming my vision has been effected by severe traumatic brain injury and vision not to the standard required for gaining a driving license.

Another report from an optician with results confirming vision issues.

Yet in the assessors report they said I hope to have a license soon and use a Satnav for navigation! And managing medication well.

I haven’t even got a Satnav and I’m a long way off getting a license as a result of the brain injuries.

Absolute lies from the assessor! Why would they do that?

And that is only one example of many in their report!

What should I do? Any advice?

13 Replies
oldestnewest

I think these PIP assessors are known for lying through their teeth when it comes to these reports. When I had mine it was so full of lies when I got it back. She said that I walked 'gait', I didn't know what the word meant so looked it up, and according to the dictionary, it means fast, quick pace. Now I've not been able to do that since my surgery, my walking has got quite slow because of my balance and being unsteady on my feet. But the think is I never got up to walk anywhere as I was having a bad morning which can be 'normal' for me at times. I manage my medication was another one, I rely on alarms, phone calls and medi-box to remind me to take them. Because of living on my own, family and friends have but things in place to keep me safe, I could go on but don't want to bore people to much. The whole way through my report she lied, i'm in the process of appealing, not sure what will happen, as I look ok but they don't see what goes on day to day the tiredness, headaches, not even knowing what I did yesterday. This is because my memory is quite poor, that's why I don't bother to cook things anymore.

Hi Plenty

I realise it is no consolation but you are among thousands who have had similiar experiences. Disability Living Allowance, what PIP has replaced, was hard enough to get, but PIP is proving to be even more challenging. I had hoped that positive changes to the system were on the horizon. Wishful thinking. The reality is the government works at a snail’s pace. Recommendations made by parliament do not automatically produce action. See article below.

parliament.uk/business/comm...

For information on the benefit appeals process:

citizensadvice.org.uk/benef...

Seek out a service that supports people with benefit appeals in your area. That may or may not be the CAB. My county council has a Money Advice Unit. They can assist people making PIP claims and with challenging decisions.

Best wishes,

Lazuli

1 like

Seems to happen a lot. Golden rule is always insist the assessment is recorded, they can't lie as easily if it is on record. Request a mandatory reassessment and prepare for this as you would for the appeal. CAB or Mind will help. If you have prepared your evidence and case effectively you will receive the benefit either at MR stage or appeal. Good luck, don't give in.

1 like

It happens way too much. As for myself, I applied 4 times and turned down on each. I then went to the tribunal where I was awarded PIP backdated from January 2017 until 2022. Also am now getting help from the social services, that had never been offered before. So I'd say look into the tribunal way. Good luck. Dave

1 like

Some good advice thank you.

I believe it is definitely down to the assessor. Their report is full of statements that were not even true or discussed at the assessment. A list that they must use every time to reach their own targets.

I’m wondering where to start? Maybe take photocopies of all medical documents and send them to the PIP office. Or does it need a reassessment ? Or complaint about the assessor to stop it happen to others.

It was medical professionals that informed me to apply for PIP in the first place. Unfortunately it’s a very stressful experience.

1 like

Make an appointment with CAB to help you prepare your mandatory reconsideration/appeal/tribunal case.

Officially request the mandatory reconsideration.

Don't bother complaining about the assessor, it will be a waste of time and drain your energy which will be better used to prepare MR/tribunal case.

1 like

halinbath's advice concerning challenging this is sound, the first priority is there's a 1 month time limit, from the PIP decision letter, to lodge a dispute.

This is done by requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration if you send the medical reports they will be considered at this stage.

You certainly need help from a benefit advice service but if the 1 month deadline is too close just lodge your MR request in time by letter or phone if absolutely necessary, you can send in the medical reports later.

1 like

Hi Plenty,

I can’t exactly offer any advice besides getting in touch with the DWP and blatantly tell them that they lied but then again, whenever money is involved, there is going to be lies... with everything, not just benefits.

This assessor read your notes and got it all wrong. Reminds me of the journalists/papers. Don’t trust them. Don’t watch news on tv. Full of absolute garbage.

1 like

Appeal. Anecdotally people speak of many case where the reports bear no relation to reality. It's not clear what is going on - either these people are incompetent or they have been told to work to another agenda entirely. Whatever is the case the only way is to get your case before an independent tribunal if you want to be assured of a fair hearing.

1 like

Call them immediately as soon as you can. You want a rèview. The results you've been sent arry

1 like

Thank you everyone. Citizen advice helpful as well.

DWP called and some medical documents sent to them by signed for 1st class post.

I’m sure the assessor has a goal of saving money and brain injuries must be an easy target for them. But if they are lying then their wages are the waste of money.

But yes you have to stay positive and help people.

1 like

Appeal the decision and ask for an immediate review.

I agree with everyone else, and I often read about PIP Assessors sending incorrect information in reports. I wonder if they do lots of assessments on one day and then mix up all the notes? Or if they copy and paste wrong ifirnation into the wrong persons report? Whatever - they should be made to record everyone's interview. Even estate agents do this now when they come to sell your house. They walk round speaking into a little recorder so they dint make mistakes about how many windows and doors and plug sockets you have. Why is something as important as someone's financial life line not recorded like that? I would record everything from now on reading about all the problems people are having. Your mobile phone might have a little voice recorder in it. Good luck.

You may also like...