Does it all go away

Can you do serious damage to your brain or mostly the skull, I no every case is different but I've been reading a lot of post and it seems like everyone recovers a good amount later in the future, does the brain really have a good protective layer covering it and brain heels up by itself, are problems at there worst the first days of accident,when one is done with all surgery and everything put back together does one change and become more positive about there situation,

Last edited by

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • The only protective layer the brain really has is the skull. But this to can damage the brain when the brain hits the it at speed.

As for recovery once the brain dies it dies for good the same with pathways.

Normally we do not use most of our brain.Though little is known about how the brain works it is thought that other parts of the brain take over tasks and new pathways can be formed.

This is what I was told by a neuro consultant and although in simple terms it makes sense how we can recover.

Add to this adapting to how your brain now works also advances recovery.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Pax

• The brain is actually the best protected organ we have. It has four thin layers of protection, after the skull. The Meninges protects the brain and has three membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord to keep it from being damaged by contact with the inside of the skull. The final layer of protection is the cerebrospinal fluid (CFS)

Yes, destroyed pathways and dead neurons cannot be restored, but new synapsis can always form, even many years following a brain injury. Also scientists are now learning that new neurons can also form. New neurons are born not from mature nerve cells but rather develop from neural stem cells that remain in our brains throughout life. Indeed, in some brain areas, there is continual turnover of neurons - old ones die and new ones are born - and these new neurons can participate in circuits that underlie learning.

• True about the different layers. I was saying that the skull although giving protection can itself cause damage as in front to back shake impact.

New understandings of brain "repair" are ongoing . Reasons why improvements are made after a bi, in some cases long after, are constantly being discovered.

What was once a mysterious but fundimental organ is slowly becoming more understood.

Pax

• Hi,i had my accident nearly a year ago,it has been classed as a severe TBI.I lost conciousness but was not in a coma nor did i require surgery dispite having a laceration,fracture and 2 seperate types of heamorages,and damage to the olfactory nerves at the front of the brain so i have lost all sense of smell and taste.

Dispite this and being told it is still early days,it will take around 3 years for my brain to heal as best it can and what cant heal will change or adapt.

I know i have problems and i find it very frustrating and upsetting but i think it's almost worse for my husband as i 'm not the woman i was,but he says it's not all bad.

The brain is amazing,we have to admire it.

• Pack has it right, once parts of th brain die they don't recover but new pathways can be made to compensate. That takes a lot of determination on the individuals part. You have to practice, practice, practice those tasks you have lost to retrain your brain to do those tasks.

I was dyslexic when i came out of the coma but I had not forgotten how to read, but I kept on trying and trying and eventually it clicked.

With me it's the physical issues I struggle with, balance and fine motor skills. Also I no longer drive because I have spatial awareness problems and a partial loss of vision in one eye xx

You will be fine just relax into this and try to deal with issues if they arise xx

Janet

• Honestly the brain doesn't have a very good protective layer. Part of the evolutionary pay off that we get from having larger brains is the small barrier covering it. That said, although everyones case is different, we are learning that healing is possible, even many years after an injury. I didn't start to see my major improvement until 20 years post. No-one exactly knows, how to facilitate healing after time has past, but it can and does occur.

Think of the synapsis like a series of roads, and the neurons as being cars. Now imagine that all the steel to make those cars has been completely used up, and you've crashed 10 or more billion cars (neurons), and destroyed as many roadways (synapsis's). Fortunately their is still plenty of asphalt left to make new roads (synapsis's). It may take the remaining 90 billion or less cars (neurons) more time to eventually get to their destination, but fortunately new roads are still being built all of the time. These roads eventually can go anywhere, as long as we try to build them.

• That's exactly what I was trying to say. Although you put it far better.

I think the reason you improve years later is down to how you and your brain adapt to the new you.

Some years ago I was retested as I was sure I had improved. I was able to do more so to me my cognative function in my eyes should have been much improved.

When tested I scored the same as previously. I was rather shocked but was told the improvements were down to my adapting better to how my brain now worked.

So even if you don't medically improve it doesn't mean you can't improve in daily life.

Pax

• yes - find a good nutritionist

You may also like...