BI related mistakes

Yes I know I'm always ingesting something I shouldn't or spraying myself with the wrong thing for example I may or may not gave use furniture polish in my hair a few days back

Today though urgh trying to figure out why the potato peeler wouldn't open a can of chopped tomatoes well that won't happen again because in a temper I threw the potato peeler across the room then stamped on it so rest in pieces potato peeler!!!

I just can't accept this new slower pace of life abd this is why I'm making these mistakes

MOan over! lol

39 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi. I didn't try and open a can of tomatoes for at least a year after my BI. I cooked a full meal for the first time after five and a half years (but I am a bloke, so no surprise there). The hardest thing is learning not to rush. It'll still be there tomorrow (the can of tomatoes, that is, and maybe a can opener).

• Hahahaha oh I'm always doung tgings I shouldn't be but without realising !

My fave thing Is going out on my own when I'm still not supposed to be unaccompanied as my seizures aren't under control and I am collapsing unconcious frequently

I also have terrible memory so could and do quite frequently forget my keys or even forget where I'm going

A neighbour has come to the rescue a few times!!

• dumb peeler, got to be honest I hate peelers any how.

I don't do that sort of thing anymore. though I did some odd things with various internet things, email accounts, which i've had to fix later on, when i've a) realised and B) had a better idea what I was doing.

still occationaly find something where I fiddled with something in the early days when I was conviced every thing was fine...

• It's the only way I can peel potatoes carrots etc as I am an even worse cack handed lefty than before my BI

I would definately lose at least one finger !!

Gosh you reminded me that I was calling people and leaving the strangest voicemails whilst I was in hospital haha I even called my unison rep !!

• I had moments of clarity, I still find some paperwork at work, which isn't that bad but i can't remeber doing it, i started back on a phased return, only 5 weeks after which in hindsite was way too early! I sensibly was on light duties, but those 4hrs a week where hard.

• Still early days em, I couldn't read for a long time, but that came back.

Can't say I've tried to peel a can open yet ;)

• Lol it doesn't work very well I can tell you that ;)

I know it's early days but I want to be fixed yesterday!

• Sorry your misuse of the potato peeler made me laugh and the sad fate of the poor innocent potato peeler! so it will be jacket potatoes for you now unless Father Christmas is generous.

• I can laugh now at how it must have looked

Yep no peeled potatoes haha!

• I thought I'd use a new electric can opener and it would be easier but I didn't have any instructions, so I thought "how difficult can it be?" But couldn't stop it when it got going, it mangled the tin of tomatoes spraying them all over the kitchen before it finally broke, so now I've got a red splodge on the wall up near the ceiling that I cant reach and still have to use the manual can opener :-E Janet

• Hahaha oh dear must look like crime scene :-o

• Not takin' the Micky or anything but does that mean you use a can opener to peel spuds?

• one of the little factoids that I like is that can's where around long before can opners let alone ring pulls, was a convient way to feed armys who genrally had big knifes or more likely? Baynets handy.....

• Oh my gosh

Me with a bayonet even pre BI I dread to think !!

• LOL just LOL!! Matty

• That was a serious question :-| haha.............. kidding.

• I still make mistakes. Tonight i managed to spill the wine I happened to be drinking in front of a crowd. What disturbs me is that I hadnt't realised I'd done it. Needless to say with a BI I don't drink often, but maybe I should take more care, at least it'd save some embarassment.

• I have lost the peripheral vision in my left eye. If I am out for a meal or coffee with friends everything gradually gets moved away from my left side as I knock them all off the table one at a time.

I politely apologise each time but it never occurs to me to move them all out of the way. By the end of the meal/coffee the entire left side of the table is empty! :)

I also am unable to stand up holding a cup of coffee, I forget I am holding it and begin to tip it, someone will point it out, I apologise and readjust grip, but soon it is spilling again.

• In my case it's probably a combination of sensory/motor and psychological factors that cause me to have such mishaps. I have a weaker left hand grip as a result of my BI, but on it's own it wouldn't cause me to spill drinks. What does it is my poor judgement/foresight about what may occur as a result of my actions. As it happens, I was describing something with arm gestures as I often do when words fail me and the drink spilt, I had no recollection of doing it though. People must have thought I'd had one too many, but that's only half the truth.

• ME TOO. I'VELOST LOWER QUARTER OF VISION IN BOTH EYES, OK IN RIGHT BUT ZERO PERIPHERAL IN THE LEFT. WALKING INTO THINGS ON THE LEFT IS A FAVOURITE, ALSO TRYING TO PICK THINGS UP, MISSING THEM & SPILLING THEM.

I'VE JUST HAD A WOODEN FLOOR LAID (WHAT A TRAUMA THAT WAS) SO AT LEAST WHEN I SPILL THINGS IT DOESN'T RUIN A CARPET ANYMORE.

• What a waste of wine barny ;)

• lol well I used hair remover instead of toothpaste that wasnt funny, but I also left my daughters front door wide open and couldnt remember if I shut it or not,,,,, well she blamed me for purposely trying to get her house robbed.

Its the drugs, foggy brain,,, maybe they need increasing to give more clarity, also it is the bodys way of saying you didnt listen before ,,,, to slow down, Well now were making you!! hows that!!

I put the clock in the freeze once,,,, buts the speech that bugs me, I know the word, I just cant get it to my tongue. Its somewhere floating away in my brain,,, I just cant catch it, and get in into view.

and Stopping and forgetting what I was on about,,, is upsetting,,, I just say well I lost that one,, and laugh it off.

In the end I just said it was Alzheimers come early and laugh it off.

thats all you can do really.

good luck and have a great christmas.

• I cleaned my teeth with steroid eczema cream once - not nice :o

• Yuck coatpin !!!

That makes my teeth feel all funny just thinking about it !

You have a good christmas also xx

• Just to add...I went for a group curry 2 weeks ago I was trying so hard not to twitch as I often do when tired or cold so much so I then touched the back of my hand on the standard hot plate, jumped and chucked madras on the nice White table cloth then managed to spill coffee on that!

• And people wonder why we avoid social events?! They don't realise how much stress it causes us trying not to do anything that they would see as acting strangely!

• you have to imagine them naked might put you off the meal, but the only thing you will be trying to stop is giggling lol

• Lol that reminds me of a self confidence course I did years ago. It told you to imagine people you felt intimidated by sitting on the toilet! :o

• Hedgehog

Yes totally !! Xx

• Lloydy im a fellow twitcher and not the birdwatching kind either LOL!

Oh dear that sounds like something I would do and probably wilk do !

Emma

• lol yeh we all look the same on the loo having a crap lmao

• I AM A WORLD CHAMPION CHUCKER OF THINGS WHEN I CAN'T USE THAM, CAN'T OPEN THEM, FALL OVER THEM ETC.

COAT HANGERS & CABLES ARE MY FAVOURITES. WHATEVER'S ATTACHED THEM IS ALSO IN GRAVE DANGER OF BEING HURLED AS WELL.

THE SCREAM OF ANGER THAT GOES WITH IT GIVES ME A HEADACHE & A SORE THROAT.

MY PATIENCE WAS DESTRYOED WHEN MY BRAIN EXPLODED I THINK.

• I went and snapped several coat hangers all because I tripped over one of them !

I ruined a family of coat hangers all because of the actions of one! Haha

I also shout at inanimate objects too if they cross me

Oh to be a fly on the wall ZEBLET!!

• I went and snapped several coat hangers all because I tripped over one of them !

I ruined a family of coat hangers all because of the actions of one! Haha

I also shout at inanimate objects too if they cross me

Oh to be a fly on the wall ZEBLET!!

• We've all done similar things. Don't beat yourself up about. Just take a breath, put away the potato peeler, and try again. Adopting a slower pace, is not all that bad. It gives you the time to notice the smaller details.

• Hi gr33nmind

Haha unfortunately the potato peeler is dead and buried but yes I see your point :)

I just need to keep Miss Hyde at bay haha!

Emma

• Emma,

I don't see any Hyde in you. After a brain injury, it will take time, but we are capable of seeing our true selves. Still don't yell at your innocent hangers, there just hanging out :)

Jim

• My Wife has told me that I cleaned my teeth in front of her with shaving cream! :)

When she had stopped laughing, she managed to stop me! mmm

• Had been let out of hospital to go home as part of my 'normalisation'! Went home to be met by the wife & kids! Had previously been assessed while preparing a Breakfast for myself, in preparation for leaving, (ESCAPING :) !) Desperately wanted to cook the evening meal. Wife had gone to do some shopping and as I insisted, had left me to it! Prior to the TBI, I had done much of the cooking. As a firefighter with 4 12 hour shifts a week, I had time during the day, and cooked for the watch at work! So had been competent, even if I say so myself. I was determined to succeed in cooking the meal. I was at it for 2 hours and had bits of the meal ready! My wife came home, and I was adamant I didn't require any help! but was already struggling with sequencing a Sunday lunch. I had bits ready, others not close to ready, some forgotten completely! :(

We did eat, but when my wife offered to assist, my volatile re-action , sent her cursing from the kitchen and tearful at my intransigence! It was the type of the behavior that marred my release and subsequent recovery.

5 years on, a would like to say such behavior on my part is a thing of the past, but I can't lie. It has certainly reduced, and I now rarely explode. I am no where near the cook I was, and this was not helped by previously being an 'instinct' cook, never writing anything down. I can now work on instinct again, and create palatable food without a recipe. Not where it once was, but I can be left in the kitchen and prepare meals for the family. Which can mean 3 different dishes as the kids don't eat the same as my wife and me! :)

You may also like...