Headway
5,733 members8,099 posts

Has anyone know of anyone or been told that they have staring spells?

my partner was telling me what she noticed how i behaved, so i did some looking around and when i put the text below she said that was me!

A less dramatic form of epilepsy also involves loss of consciousness, but without a fall to the ground or

convulsive movements. These attacks are aptly called "staring spells" because the patients stop what they're

doing, lose eye-contact with other people, and appear to stare into space. If spoken to during attacks, the

patients do not respond.''

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes I have these issues from discussion s in this forum it is quite common

did you have an EEG?

Yes, me too. Same thing, infrequently

also loss of self control, i.e getting angry for no real reason?

the normal term is Absences in some people it can be very obvious in others it can be just be a moment ie unless someone knew what they where looking at, wouldn't notice.

I work in care with folks with learning disabilities and Epilepsy is common.

1 like

I REALLY ADMIRE YOU FOR THE WORK YOU DO. GOOD FOR YOU

CHeers though has to be said it's a fun job today is the hydro pool!

Dear Red_spinel,

Undiagnosed epilepsy can pose a risk to your safety if you were to have a seizure whilst doing an everyday task, such as taking a bath. It can be difficult to distinguish between "day dreaming" and absence seizures,

for this reason I would suggest discussing this with your GP.

Best Wishes

Headway UK

My stroke gave me epilepsy, and I guess my Auras before a full on seizure can relate to an Absence.

I used to space out for a while before a seizure; I remember playing a video game (Mario Kart), and my friends were saying something to me, I just didn't really know what it was. I wasn't pressing any buttons, and I knew that, but for some reason it didn't seem weird.

If you think losing in Mario Kart sucks, think about if that had happened whilst I was crossing a road. Please please please talk to a doctor about it.

I have had this for over 7 years now nearly got me into trouble as someone thought I was staring at them

did you have an EEG?

I had a brain scan twice the consultant just said I had permanent brain damage which could not be operated on that was it.

Yep! I had those for about two years after my tumour was removed but they gradually stopped.

You may also like...