Juvela Crispbread - or not!

I love Juvela crisp bread but recently have found that most of it crumbles into little pieces. I called them to report this and they were good enough to send me some more but all the replacement boxes were the same.

Has anyone else had the same problem? I find I am lucky to get 3 or 4 slices in a whole box that are useable the rest are just a pile of small pieces. I dont think its transportation that is breaking them up or the packaging. I think it is the consistency that is too brittle so even the whole slices break when you try spreading anything on them.

This is such a shame as I really like them but not worth having anymore sent. It will be interesting to see if others have the same problem. Perhaps they have changed the recipe recently which is causing this to happen.

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Ellen, I've never had these crackers but what I would consider doing is using the broken bits for snacks and as well as corn flake type cakes where you melt butter syrup and chocolate and then add the broken bits to the mix and leave it to set in the fridge you could also make savoury ones by melting butter and your favourite cheese and some dried herbs and then some broken bits and again leave them to set in the fridge.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but at least it stops them going to waste you could also use lacto free spread and tahini etc if you're lactose intolerant.

• Hi Ellen, I've not tried this particular brand of crispbread. I've had the DS version (it wasn't crumbly but isn't packaged in two's and so unless you can eat it up fairly quickly will go soggy) I personally found it was really sweet and so only had a couple, left them a week or two and really couldn't face eating any more and so gave the rest to the hedgehogs.

• Hi Lynxcat,

just noticed your comment on the DS crispbread, after I open mine I keep them in an air tight container...I find this keeps them tasting fresher for long! (more for me less for the animals!!)

Sorry Ellen I'm not a fan of the Juvela one's... give the DS one's a try and see what you think, I never have the problems you're mentioning!! you can get them in most supermarkets or they have an online shop on their website dietaryspecials.co.uk

• Hi Aveline, If you are a fan of the DS ( Dr. Schär) range they email offers regularly if you sign up to them as well as trying something for free:

dietaryspecials.co.uk/regis...

This is the main institute website for those wishing to receive more information on coeliac disease and keeping abreast of events in your own areas:

drschaer-institute.com/en/

• Hi Ellen

I've had some of these and although they are very moreish I've had the same problem. Don't know about the recipe as I've only recently been diagnosed.

• Thanks for your replies - I agree about them being moreish!! Thanks for the suggestions about wastage too. So far the birds have had the crumbs but with three box loads now I was starting to think about being more creative.

Anything with Chocolate sounds really good so if anyone has any good recipes please let me know!! Jerry you mention something above in your post, do you have measurements etc. Im not sure about syrup....what type would that be. As you can guess Im very new to the baking lark so please ease me in gently!! :-D

• Hi Ellen, this is Nigel Slater's recipe and Tate and Lyle golden syrup is gluten free, Just make sure that the dark chocolate is gluten free. This is an easy peasy recipe as you don't have to bake it, you just have to wait patiently whilst it sets in the fridge! And you can also add nuts or dried fruit.

50 g butter

4 tbsp golden syrup

100 g dark chocolate

75 g cornflakes

1. Gently melt the butter, syrup and chocolate in a small, heavy pan. Stir in the cornflakes.

2. Place large spoonfuls of the mixture on a buttered baking sheet and leave to set in the refrigerator.

• Jerry I was looking for this today and realised I never thanked you - I thought I had!! Im off to have a go now! :-)

• I made them using Aunt Jemima Original Syrup which is GF and my broken up Juvela Crispbread - they came out brilliant!! :-)

You may also like...