I had a full right lung lobectomy in 2007

I was DX with stage 3a NSCLC in October 2007. In November I had my right lu g removed via VATS surgery at NYU in New York. I was fully capable of doing everything I did before and am now heading into year 10 of being cancer free. If you have a great thoracic surgeon you should be fine. I will say that I also had 16 weeks of Cisplatin and Navelbine chemo afterwards - the surgery was easier.

Skip

Featured Content

Awareness about Lung Cancer diagnosis

If you’ve been diagnosed with lung cancer, please take this short survey and add your voice as an advocate today.

Complete the survey

Featured by HealthUnlocked

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • So happy for you!

• I also had a right lung lobectomy at memorial sloan kettering 10 years ago

followed by 4 months of cisplatin chemo and I agree, surgery was easier than chemo. I had stage 1b small cell..so far so good. nine years cancer free.

• 10 years cancer free! Happy for you. I am going in two weeks to have my upper left lobe removed possibly the bottom lobe and I am a nervous wreck, your post gives me hope.

• Are they doing VATS surgery. Visually assisted thoracic surgery?

• The surgery was a walk in the park. Trust me. No worries. Breathe.

• You know I'm really not sure I was brain fog when he was talking to me but he did say he was going in underneath my armpit and I should only have about a 4 inch scar

• I had a lobectomy in 2000 (VATS was not regularly being done then, I had the full bells and whistles (large scar, went in through my back/ribs, the full thing) and I only had pain the first few days and it was bearable after the first day. I was in the hospital a week. I heard the VATS is a much quicker recovery with little pain. It sounds like that is what you are gonna have.

P.S. - I've been considered cancer free for 16-1/2 years!

• Wow. Mozel!!!

You may also like...