Free to Breathe
2,545 members1,130 posts

Recently diagnosed with lung cancer

Was diagnosed Jan 9th 2016 with stage 1 squamous cell carcinoma in lower right lobe 1.6 cm nodule . I have had 5 radiation sbrt treatments and waiting till July for blood work and ct scan with contrast to see where I am at. I was very lucky my dr sent me for a ct scan because I had a bad cough and chest congestion . I live in mi and the cold weather is hard on me especially with the radiation treatments. I was not a canadiate for surgery due to copd . So this treatment is my best hope

14 Replies
oldestnewest

I was diagnosed December, 2013, with NSCLC, stage 1. After losing confidence in the doctors I was seeing here in MS, I decided to go to MD Anderson in Houston for a second opinion. They told me I was not a candidate for surgery due to poor lung function and if I had the surgery as was the plan in MS, I would eventually be in a wheel chair waiting for my organs to fail. At MDA, I was put in a clinical trial of STARS, stereotactic ablative radiation therapy, which I think is the same or similar as your treatment. I had 54 GY over three days, the same dose as would be given over 6 to 8 weeks. While I was thankful I was able to finish treatment in that short period of time since I was traveling back and forth, I couldn't find much information relating to side effects from this treatment. On a positive note my doctor said I was in remission at my last appointment October, 2015. 

2 likes

I did good until the last treatment, I don't have a lot of energy ,but the information I have read is that's a side effect .My breathing isn't as good as before but I am told it will improve. My fev1 is 33% no oxygen yet . So all I can do is pray the sbrt works. Nobody mentioned anything about chemotherapy . This whole thing has turned my world upside down, but that is life. I am taking one day at a time and all I can do is wait and see in July what the ct says.

I feel the same way since diagnosis 6/2015. I has wedge resection and chemo after, then twoscans later and 3 months later had local reoccurance in mid chest lymph nodes, just finished. Daily radiation 30 rounds and low dose chemo once a wk for 6 wks..mau have 2 additional chemo treatments. Then wait for another CT and in app 3 months another pet scan.. But yes it seems my world ended as I knew it before..everything now seems to evolve around cancer and it's scary and I hate this..I do try to stay positive and happy that mine was found fairly early stage 2.  I hope all works as it is supposed too.   Good luck to you all... M M

Mine was stage 1 according to the pet scan my lymph nodes were clear and it hadn't  spread, but up until the biopsy I was convinced it wasn't cancer , so after the diagnosis it really hit me hard. When I went to the cancer center for treatment and saw all the people there I knew I was not an isolated case. I can't say I felt better but I knew I was not the only one with cancer. Try to stay as positive as you can , eat as healthy as possible and hope for the best outcome , that's what I am trying to do. My Dr said there is a possibility it may come back. If it does I will cross that bridge then. Good luck and give the fight all you have. T

1 like

How do u cope with COPD?

I have learned to slow down, and pace myself .if I want to do some chores like mowing the lawn I have to take my time. I have found I don't have any reserve so if I do things like I have always done at a faster pace. It takes me awhile to recover . Even walking I walk a lot slower than I did before. Hope this helps.

Why did you not have a lobotomy?  I had stage 1b small cell lung cancer. They did a lobotomy and 4 rounds chemo. That was 10 years ago and I am fine.

1 like

I had surgery on my left lung in 2007 ,left lower lobe removed, not cancer related, it really lowered my breathing capacity, so with cancer in right lower lobe , I was not a canadiate for surgery. Surgery is the best option for cure if it is found early, which mine was, the onocaligest said I was not a canadiate due to my lung function . That is why I opted for the SBRT , he feels that was my best option under the circumstances .I am very  lucky to live in MI . Where in a 100 mi radius I have three very good cancer centers. At this time all I can do is wait and pray the sbrt worked. I would have opted for surgery if the circumstances had been different . 

How are you doing ?? Have not been on here for awhile.

1 like

So far so good. Had blood work and ct scan in July , the dr said everything looks good . I have to have the same tests done in Jan 2017 , I am hoping for good outcome then to. I feel ok , but you never know ,I didn't have any symptoms when they found this. So just trying to stay positive. How are you doing?

1 like

So far so good with me too. It has been a year now since Surgery. I get blood and 24 hr urine every 3 months plus Cat Scan and MRI . I never had symptoms either, I requested an exray just because!! It is so hard to think positive but I kept working and that has helped. Mary

1 like

Sometimes I wish I wasn't retired, I had a miniature schnauzer for 13/5 years and lost him October 14 this year. It really took its toll on me, he had liver cancer and it had spread, he lasted 3 weeks and 1 day after diagnosis . My wife works , so now it is just me, he was a lot of company. I try to be positive that is about all I can do , and pray. I am glad that you are doing ok. Sometimes I wish I hadn't had the ct scan and let nature take its course, now after I had the sbrt ,it's all I think about. Has it came back or popped up somewhere else, my sons say not to worry about it, that is impossible for me. Forgive me for venting I am just having a rough day. It's like walking around with an inflatable balloon , just waiting for it to bust. Take care wardth.

2 likes

I am so sorry about your little buddy !! We have a little ShihTzu and we would be lost without him. My Family, the same. They say, you will be fine. They just want to make me feel better , I am sure. Every pain I get I worry that it has returned and that I may have made a bad decision to refuse Chemo when I did. It just started pouring rain here !! Take care and we have to think positive... It was good to hear from you. Mary😊

1 like

Thank you , all we can do is just hang in there . I plan for the worst and hope for the best. Wardth.

1 like

You may also like...