Fight Prostate Cancer
1,415 members306 posts

Urinary Incontinence after Prostate Cancer Surgery

I had prostate cancer surgery on November 24, 2015. I wore a catheter for 4 weeks. The catheter was removed December 21, 2015. Then the incontinence began. I am doing better now. I do Kegel exercises.

My question is how long does incontinence usually last? I only use one or two pads per day. It has only been 3 months.

I use Depends Men's underwear with a Guard inside with adhesive. I can change the Guard if it gets wet instead of the underwear.

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Some people are effectively dry just about from the moment the catheter is removed, and some people at the other extreme have an incontinence problem that is never finished. I was told one can keep making "progress" up to a year and a half out of surgery (at which point I gave up and had sling surgery, somewhat successful--a hell of an improvement anyway, because I was worse off than you are). So if you're only three months out, don't give up yet!

1 like

Thanks.

It's different for everyone. I used pads only for six months. Starting after surgery with maybe 6-10 per day then slowly getting down to only one a day. Three years after surgery I had a recurrence so I had IMRT radiation. That and a penile implant surgery left me leaking again. Only one pad a day usually. If I'm tired, or have a couple beers ur leaks worse. Bending over, sneezing, lifting will cause a small squirt also. Just be patient. I use Tena male guard pads with tight bikini underwear. They hold the pad tight so no leaks on your pants. I like the arena pads because they are triangle shape. They are very comfortable and don't feel like a pillow between your legs. You'll be fine. It just takes time. Good luck. Randy. 

2 likes

"Arena pads?"   What brand? 

Thanks

Thanks.

The pads I've been using are "Tena" brand male guards. They have them at cvs. 

Was wondering throughout your trouble did you ever have any rectal discomfort or problems

No rectal problems.

Like you, I had Da Vinci surgery on 24th Nov 2015. Catheter removed 4 weeks later. 6 week check on 4th Jan 2016. PSA unrecordable! 3 month check due on 19th April.

I used Tena pads , medium at fist then small. Pretty dry after 2 months and now really dry. No pads at all. Yes, there can be short spurts from time to time if coughing, etc.

My prognosis is 'excellent with a probability 10 year risk of PSA recurrence of only 12%'. I'm not totally sure what that means, but it sounds OK.

Now waiting for the 3 month results. Will keep you advised.

1 like

That is great news. I will have my first PSA test on April 14. I will find out the results on April 21 when I visit my urologist. I will keep you posted. My incontinence is improving. I just have short spurts here and there. I make sure I don't wait too long between trips to the bathroom.

Mine lasted about 8 months! And after that I carried a Depends Guard in my pocket for about 1 month. It has been 12 years and 3 months and I am very good now! Keep doing the kergel exercises and it will improve. Good luck.

1 like

Thanks.

I just leak a little bit from time to time. It is much improved.

You may also like...