Fight Prostate Cancer
1,413 members305 posts

Prostate Cancer Journey Timeline

My Prostate Cancer journey began on August 17, 2015. I went to my urologist for a 6 months check-up. I had a PSA test score of 0.7% which was normal. He did a Digital Rectal Exam (DRE). He found a nodule on the right side of my prostate. It was about 5 mm in length. He said I needed a biopsy. He scheduled me for a biopsy on August 27, 2015. I was lying on an exam table naked from the waist down with both feet in stirrups. He numbed my prostate with Lydocaine. He used a Prostate gun inserted into my rectum to take 12 biopsies of different sections of my prostate. Each biopsy was a core sample that looked like a skinny noodle about one inch long. Each sample was placed into a vial of water. The 12 biopsies were sent to a lab for testing. One week later on September 3, 2015, he called me with the results. He said 2 of the 12 samples tested positive for cancer. I had made an appointment already to discuss the results on September 9, 2015. I went to my appointment with my wife and my daughter. He showed us the Pathology report on the computer screen. I could not believe what I was seeing. He talked about treatment options. I chose to have surgery. I went back on October 1, 2015 to get things going. He said I had to be cleared by a cardiologist before surgery. He made an appointment with a cardiologist for October 5, 2015. My cardiologist said I had to complete 3 tests before he would clear me for surgery. All the stress caused me to have palpitations which he said were caused my an arrhythmia. I had to wear a heart halter monitor for 3 weeks. I had to have a Nuclear Cardiac Stress test and an Echocardiogram. I completed all the tests and returned to see my cardiologist on October 26, 2015. He signed the paper to clear me for surgery. That same day I went to see my urologist to schedule my surgery. He said let's do it  and take out your prostate. He planned to do a Robotic Assisted Prostatectomy. The first available date for surgery was Tuesday, November 24, 2015. I said OK. I went in at 8:00 A.M. to register and prep for surgery. A young man shaved me from my nipples to my pubic bone and all the way left and right. They finally took me into surgery at 10:30 A.M. The surgery lasted about 3 and a half hours. I was in recovery for a couple of hours and then they took me to my room. They gave me morphine every 4 hours for the pain. I had only jello and soup for supper. I was awake all night. I had a private room. They kept coming in to check on me and take vital signs and give pain meds. I went home on the afternoon of November 25. I had to wear a catheter. On December 1, I went to the hospital for a cystogram to see if there was any leaking. My urologist had to rebuild the wall between my bladder and my urethra. There was leaking. I had to continue wearing the catheter for another week. I came back on December 8 to have a second cystogram. There was still leaking. I had to wear the catheter for 2 more weeks for a total of 4 weeks. Finally on the third cystogram, everything was healed. It was on December 21, 2015. They sent me to my urologist on the same day to have my catheter removed. The medical assistant removed my catheter. It felt great. It was so liberating. The incontinence began on December 21, 2015. He said to return on January 21, 2016. I told him about my incontinence. I was dry at night by then, but not during the day. He said it takes time. I also asked him about impotence. He said he would help. He gave me 60 pills of Cialis 5 mg for daily use. I started taking them on January 22. I could get an erection on day 5. He said these pills were part of my Penile Rehabilitation Therapy. After 60 days I should be able to get erections without pills. I took my last pill on March 21. The pills worked great and my erections are strong and firm even now after completing the therapy. I have to return to my urologist on April 21. I have to do a PSA on April 14. I have a little incontinence with about 2 pads per day. I am cancer free.

5 Replies

All of this takes time. You have to be patient. That is easier said than done. Also, without a prostate gland there are no ejaculations because semen is produced by the prostate gland. My urologist said I am shooting blanks. I can still produce pre-cum fluid because that is produced in the Cowper's gland inside the shaft of the penis. My orgasms feel different because the only fluid present is pre-cum. They are still pleasurable and satisfying.


The nodule was on the right side of my prostate, but the cancer was on the left side of my prostate. The cancer caused it to fill with fluid.


I hope by sharing I can help another man with his journey with cancer. Please let me know if you have any questions.


Your urologist was not a sadist. I did not get lidocaine for the biopsy. Wow that was painful! Glad you are doing good!

1 like



You may also like...