Log in
Fibromyalgia Action UK
43,575 members55,560 posts

Anyone able to advise on medical testing for fibromyalga ..?

Hello everyone, I am a new member to this wonderful site, My health situation is after a work related car accident 7 years ago the hospital diagnosed Ostio-arthritis from X-rays etc..

I tryed all types of therapys to try and improve my condition to get back to my work. unfortunatly I was unable to return and dismissed from my job and provided with a ill health pension from my employers.

I try'ed every type of complimentery treatments and one massage therapist said my symptoms were similair to fibromyalga.. (areas of pain etc..Lower back, neck, knees, hip, shoulders, wrists and elbows, Numbness on both hands during night and limited sleep...

My therapist was a trained nurse but working in the complimentery health and aromatherapy and sport massage physiotherapy.

I received a letter/report on her findings and asked my GP for his thoughts and opinion.

My GP dismissed her findings as no clinical foundation, And dismissed therapists as Quack stuff.!! But might be good if you feel it works??

Anyway, I do not think on the same lines as my Doctor. And feel I may have to seek a doctor that is more open to patent thoughts and ideas.

If I could ask anyone here, How can I find out more or someone in NHS to be able to test and diagnose fibomyalga, Is their a special doctor???that I could talk too.....Do i have to be refered by my own doctor for further tests etc.(I doubt this would happen with my GP)

I use prescribed medication for the pain, which leaves my fogged out and tired for most of the day..

I thank you all in advance for any advice or support......XX

8 Replies

hi security , many of us on here have had bad health for quite a while before diagnosis. It often seemw to be a case of ruling other things out then fibro is the diagnosis, i was finally diagnosed by a rheumatologist after being refered by osteopath consultant. i have had fibro for many years but luckily mine isn't as severe as some peoples on here , warm hugs x


there are not any definative tests to show you do have it (but certainly sounds as though you may have)but there are various tests ie bloods ,mri scans,x rays to rule out any other possible causes if these show nothing then you would need to be referred to a rhuematologist or neurologist or if your lucky to have one in your area a specialist F.M clinic or pain clinic it can take quite a while depending on how good your g.p is and how long waiting lists for referrals are but i hope that info is of some use to you and good luck and hope you get some answers soon

take care and virtual hugs




As already mentioned above a referral to a rhuematologist is the bast way to make progress and they work on a process of elimination.

It may take a while to see one but do push for it as diagnosis and then correct sadvise and medication can make a huge difference to you quality of life I ws only diagnosed in May this year Even though I susected it myself anyway.

Good luck and make you GP listen to you :)



Further to last note apologies for awful spelling :( Bit tired now


HI firstly see a different doctor and ask to be referred to rhuematologist and keep a pain and sleep diary for the appointment, as i have said many times you know your body and you know when something isn't right, dig your heels in ( but stay calm )

Take care and hope you get what you need soon. xxxx


Thanks each and everyone for your guidance and answers, I feel the way forward is to get a opinion from another GP and or referral to pain clinic or rhuematologist...my currant medication may well be needed reviewed............Thanks again for your support...XX


Hello and welcome Security to our lovely forum, it's great to have you here with us! :)

Take a look around through the Questions, Blogs and Tags, you will find so much information, support, advice, friendship and personal experiences. If there is anything you aren't sure about please don't hesitate to ask for help etc., we are always happy to help. We all understand as we are all in the same boat.

It might be worth you seeking a second opinion, many of us have been through this situation as we haven't been particularly satisfied with getting a referral from our GP, getting a diagnosis and sufficient pain relief etc.

Once you have your second opinion hopefully you will feel a bit better about things. By having a medical professional, GP or Consultant who understands, supports and helps you by prescribing the right type of medication to help you manage your pain and fatigue etc. I had a very supportive GP who referred me to a Rheumatologist, I was confident that I would receive good care, the correct meds, get a diagnosis - how wrong I was! I went through the lengthy process of switching consultants which isn't an easy thing to do, you have to request cancellation with your current consultant, apply to a new one and then wait to be accepted and start from scratch right at the very beginning again! It was so worth it though! I got my diagnosis and correct meds, I am so much better than four years ago. My pain is well managed, I sleep better, I have learnt to pace myself which works a treat!

It can be quite tough at times and we feel like we are fighting to be heard etc don't we. Stick with it, get a second opinion or ask your GP for a referral to a Rheumatologist, see how that goes. I don't think it's intentional but some GP's don't seem to acknowledge Fibromyalgia and similarly some consultants don't either. It's all about trying to find the right medical professionals who will listen to us, accept our symptoms and hopefully prescribe meds that actually help us manage our symptoms as well as possible. There isn't a special consultant particularly for Fibromyalgia, but there are consultants out there who recognise Fibromyalgia, are happy to diagnose and to treat and support you. It's a little trial and error at the beginning.

I hope that info helps in some way, if there is anything you need reassuring over or want to know more about, please let us know. We will do whatever we can to help and support you where we can. We are all here for you and we all understand how frustrating it can all be.

Take care and please let us know how you get on. I hope you enjoy your time here in our lovely forum! :)


I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist 20 years ago, on the 18 points of pain system. Since then I am now diagnosed as having chronic fibro. If you can get a GP to refer you to a rheumy you may find you get a diagnosis a lot quicker. It is all I can suggest at the moment. Like you I have osteoarthritis, mine in the spine. I also have COPD & Emphysema, amongst god knows how many other confirmed illnesses, I am falling to bits. I wish you luck in your endeavours and I really do hope you can get someone to listen xxxxx


You may also like...