How often do you drop things? - Fibromyalgia Acti...

Fibromyalgia Action UK
47,721 members59,655 posts

How often do you drop things?

Bluebelle86
Bluebelle86

I drop something near enough everyday. Normally small things like a toothbrush or a book. But there have times where I've dropped plates, mugs etc.

It feels like my hand just gives up and automatically lets go of what I'm holding. I have zero control over it.

Does anyone else have this problem?

44 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Bluebelle86, i thought it was just me! very annoying, sometimes i will drop the same thing 3 or 4 times and i get so annoyed with myself as i just dont seem in control? xx

Hi Bluebelle86 I often drop things too. It is small things mostly like lids or even my tablets, it's like my fine motor skills have gone, I remember teaching my son how to pick up small wooden bricks when he was a toddler. I'm turning into a child! I cant walk straight, I cant talk properly and I drop things.

David

Me to do it it gets me angry.At least I now know I am not a lone😂

One other thing I keep doing is choking on food or I can be watching tv not eating or drinking yet I still choke it is scary when ur gasping for ur breath.Do u think it may be having copd as mom was the same.

Chance.

Midori
Midori
in reply to Chance15

Yes, I choke very easily, even on my own saliva!

Certain foods, especially if they are fairly dry or crumbly, will set me off, so I have to make certain I have a drink of some sort to hand.

Clumsy, yes. I've taken to using the outdoor tableware that supermarkets sell in summer. Lighter weight, still dishwasher safe, don't break if they hit the floor.

K4ttt
K4ttt
in reply to Midori

Hi Midori 👋🏽

I had to reply to you as I have too this problem & it’s so scary & like you say on your own saliva ! Me too 🤔

I have this problems many years & tablets have got to be crushed as they won’t go down & end up coughing them back up or getting stuck in my throat. That’s so crazy as nobody would think it possible but happens so often with me & not being able to breath as you can’t swollen it’s not funny .

Sorry long reply but thought I was on my own with this weird thing 😶

Take Care love K4ttt xx

Oldham65
Oldham65
in reply to K4ttt

Sorry to interrupt but I have swallowing issues, my muscles don't work properly in my esophagus do I have to have a drink at the side of me to get food down. I can be holding a cup and I don't know big I zone out or loosen my grip but it ends up on the floor!! I literally burnt myself with black coffee, I suddenly just nodded off and boiling hot coffee went through my summer PJs, huge blisters, still got scars now, they couldn't believe how much damage I'd done. Ok. Night night 😴😘

K4ttt
K4ttt
in reply to Oldham65

Hi Lynne, is this swallowing problem to do with fibromyalgia do you think 🤔 as big issue for me every day , especially with my meds 💊

Are you still awake sweet lady ? Xxxx

Love & kisses K4ttt xxxx

Oldham65
Oldham65
in reply to K4ttt

Yes, it's every day, it became more noticeable when I had GERD and then had an op for it , I think they called it dismotility or something like disphagia, can't remember properly but I do know I've had to have a drink at the side if me when I eat so that I can get it down. . night night xxcc

K4ttt
K4ttt
in reply to Oldham65

Hi Lynne I’ve never heard of GERD before sweetheart & just looked it up. Yes from what I’ve just read it causes swallowing problems & affects the lower esophageal sphincter , the ring of muscle between the esophagus & the stomach , also says you can get a feeling like a lump in your throat

Mine just doesn’t want to go down , food or water.

Water or any drinks are actually worse then food

😶 xx xx night night Lynne xxxx

Oldham65
Oldham65
in reply to K4ttt

I do find soda water or sparkling water the best. I do think you should phone your GP about this. I know I nearly choked not long after my op I was having soup and are too much bread in one go , tried my water and it just seemed to bubble up, horrible, my son, Ian was downstairs and as he went for Dave it came back up!! With this op they wrap part of stomach round esophagus, she told I wouldn't be able to be sick but I have been a couple of times.. my hiatus hernia was fixed at the same time. She said it can last from 6 years onwards. I would say it's worth having the op, it's called fundoplication. Anyway bye for now xxxx 😘

K4ttt
K4ttt
in reply to Oldham65

Hey Lynne , I’ve had it since my Fibromyalgia 10 years so think it’s connected to that. I had OCD from a young age where I couldn’t cough without pressing my windpipe so maybe that did it not sure really .

But yeah swallowing & choking is no laughing matter 😶 . Hope your sleeping now Lynne 😴💭🌈💤 love 💕 & hugs 🤗 always love K4ttt xxxx

Oldham65
Oldham65
in reply to K4ttt

Hi

Yes, it must be caused by a multitude of things.

I'm going to try to sleep now, xx

Sorry, forgot to press send!!

How are you feeling this morning? Love and hugs Lynne xxxx 😘

Midori
Midori
in reply to K4ttt

Have you tried taking your tablets with yogurt? I find it helps them slide down quite easily.

Hazel_Angelstar
Hazel_AngelstarAdministrator

I have this on a daily basis ... It's really annoying and it's as if my hands have a life of their own sometimes xxx

Yes! I drop the same item multiple times. i also have trouble picking pins from a tin when I sew. sooo frustrating.

Patdoyle
Patdoyle
in reply to kimar

Yes me too. When I go shopping I can’t pick coins from my purse so usually hand notes in or pay by card

Welsh-iod
Welsh-iod
in reply to Patdoyle

The same here. I get embarrassed when I can't get money or cards out quickly at a the till. Forever dropping things too. Get quite angry at myself.

kimar
kimar
in reply to Patdoyle

Me, too, Pat. The clerk stares at me like, Hurry up already.

Patdoyle
Patdoyle
in reply to kimar

Oh so glad it’s not just me. I get so embarrassed at the till when I can’t get my money or cards out then drop my purse and just wish myself back home. I then keep saying I’m so sorry to the people behind me in the queue.

Hi Bluebelle86, I drop things everyday, from the TV remote, to the Phone (yes whilst in conversation), Coffee/Tea (but have it in a plastic beaker now - for obvious reasons), and my worst thing that I drop is - - - - - - - - no it isn’t that, as I don’t have Beans or Curry too often nowadays, no the worst thing I drop is myself, down to my knees (or worse). I’ve de-gloved a small part of my forehead down to the bone (was 111- then 999 - followed by x-ray, then CT, and Bloods! With all that, they couldn’t diagnose why I fall/drop-2-my-knees so often. It used to happen 2-or-3 times every day, which meant I dare not go out just in case, as I dropped-2-my-knees crossing a main-road whilst visiting my Mum in Beverley where she lives. Beverley is just North of Hull in East Yorkshire (not Humberside - don’t like that name). Fortunately my dropping-2-my-knees nowadays is at best once a week, sometimes less. They have suggested it might be linked to my Fibromyalgia as along with the Fibro-Pain, Fibro-Fog, Tinnitus, and Cluster-Headaches, the dropping-2-my-knees ties in with my Fibromyalgia Flaring-Up. I still drop things like Remotes, Phones, Plates etc.

Hope the Lock-In’s are manageable to you, I’m on my own so I just manage to get Tesco to deliver (when I can find a delivery slot) as I don’t know anybody near me who could get my shopping... Do take care,

Neil.

This happens to me too - almost on a daily basis. I've been wondering if it's linked to fibro for a while now. My most common problem is when getting something out of a cupboard which has several cans/jars in it - just don't seem to be able to coordinate this!

Worries me when I'm carrying a hot drink. My wife often does these things for me to avoid any spillage.

Hey! Yeahh I tend to drop a lot of things, it happens a lot. Like multiple plates, glasses even smashed my iPad to bits because of it.

It’s frustrating, but just be as safe as possible

Yeah more or less daily, especially if I stress over anything! In my case I also have jerks and tics where I launch things; my mobile phone being the usual one, good job it’s well protected (Bulky but worth its weight in gold!); it’s all part and parcel of the beast unfortunately - some get it, some don’t!

Yep. Forever breaking things, knocking stuff over, bashing things, tripping over things, threading on things (espech dog poo, my foot knows it shouldnt but always gravitates towards it), constantly cutting myself.... i was just born clumsy i think or maybe there is more to it.

Same here......it's as though I'm not holding things tight enough. Like my fingers aren't responding to my brain. So glad you posted as now I don't feel like I'm going bonkers x

Me too my hands shake a lot and go weak so I can’t hold anything or grasp or turn anything they also twitch quite badly 🙄

Hi, I drop or fumble things pretty much every day. I have become so clumsy, my hand-eye coordination is completely shot. I go to move something from behind something else, like a glass or cup or tin and will knock it on the thing in front. I am always cursing myself. I have put it down to the Fibro.

Another thing is that I can't get my words out, often struggling for what I want to say, it's so annoying, and I will say a word and then question if it is the word that I wanted, or in fact if it is a real word at all.

When I'm typing something (I am a trained typist) I will often type completely the wrong letters, or a different word will appear on the screen to the one in my head, it is so frustrating!

Midori
Midori
in reply to Welshcatlady

I know all those ones! You aren't alone!

YASMINTINA
YASMINTINAFMA UK Volunteer

Yep that’s me all the time, I am are currently going through glasses, plates etc , my hands certainty seem to lose their grip more now xx

That’s me too. I bulk buy glasses from ikea as I go through at least a couple a month. I also drop things or knock things over daily. My family are completely used to it.

Within 3 months of being introduced to my future husband’s family I’d fallen down their stairs and smashed an ornament; broke a mother of pearl dessert fork (was a wedding present and only used for special occasions) which flew into the goldfish tank; and when helping moving furniture tore their fabric head board. Needless to say I don’t get asked to help much 😂

I’ve actually been like this my whole life. And was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 20 years ago so for the previous 30 years just thought I was very clumsy.

My family are really understanding but it helps to keep a sense of humour.

Sometimes I’m much worse than others, and if I start falling or become ‘wobbly’ then I become much more likely to drop things or knock things over. Fine motor skills and spatial awareness seem to deteriorate when I’m having a flare up.

I think this is an early indicator of fibromyalgia and I would be interesting to see how many sufferers had this before being diagnosed.

Take care and don’t juggle. X

Midori
Midori
in reply to josieb

Hi Josie,

That answers something for me, I've always been a clumsy clot! I have got better over the years by slowing my responses, but now its catching up again.

Doesn't help that with vision only in one eye, I have virtually no depth perception, so although I can see something, I will often fumble trying to pick it up.

Cheers, Midori

Oh yes; I've taken to using plastic plates lately, lighter weight and the camping ones are still sturdy enough.

Haven't got to plastic mugs , yet!

Cheers, Midori

Hi I do it very regular I have very shaky hands.

Phyllis

It is so irritating! Drives me crazy, you think you have a good grip on something but things just slip through my fingers, my fine motor skills is totally pants! xx

Oh yes! I'm very good at the nearly grab, poke instead, try to catch that ends up batting object over other side of the room 🙄🥺 Honestly if we didn't laugh at ourselves 😂😂

I drop things all the time. I lose count of how many items I drop and break.

Yes I have some days were it is just constant. Feel like should not have got out of bed. I have tendon issues in wrists but the last 3 fingers get extreme pain and stiffness so no grip. Some days can not even cut things up.

I have this problem too! I can't tell you how many times a day I have dropsee!

Daily, sometimes hourly, but my I often do not realise until it hits the floor. It is just one of the many symptoms of fibro.

Well reading these has reassured me I'm not alone and just the clumsy idiot I have been thinking myself. A small comfort as I recently dropped a glass I was refilling in my bathroom sink, causing a small chip in the basin along with a huge oval crack. The glass remained in perfect order. The bathroom was only refurbished a few months ago and unfortunately pennies don't allow a replacement. 😣

jonathan_123
jonathan_123
in reply to Aligil

I know where your coming from with the glass, that's why I now have a plastic beaker in the bathroom. As I have done this on previous occasions. x

I do, but no-one takes it seriously. I put it down to tiredness and lack of concentration.

Hey Bluebelle,

O gosh I’m not alone then

I can’t touch anything without knocking it over when I was able to carry heavier things Lol years ago I once dropped a carton of hot curry all over my daughters her new carpet 🤭

We left as soon as able as she’s always tells me not to as she knows what I’m like

Now I can’t go a hour without knocking things over or dropping them 🙈

I know it’s my fibromyalgia but other people If seeing me think I’m drunk 🥴 btw I don’t drink . Maybe a glass of wine on special occasions but special plastic cups for me I’m afraid

So nope 👎🏽 your not the only one my sweet friend 👍🏽 take care love K4ttt xxxx

I have this too but I have ibs and severe GERD & fibromyalgia. My guys are a mess and the ppi prescription made my life worse I can’t get off of it and anxiety all the time. My neck is right weak and think the pressure from the acid bloating in my body is crushing this try to keep my shoulders down. Years ago when I went through this it was all caused by meds and extreme stress. I think if you can strengthen your core and neck and digestion in order it will subside. I have copd very mild it didn’t bother me till this I didn’t even know I had it until I got GERD from meds. I really think getting tummy in order will help.

You may also like...