Really tender scalp

Hello, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place but I've been noticing some weird symptoms. A few days ago I notice a pain in my ear and later realised it was inside the ear towards the top that was hurting me. I was about to go to the gps but notice it went and I was fine for a day. The day before yesterday, at night I felt my scalp and it was really tender, to the point it didn't feel right. Then I did a bit of research and came up with nothing. Yesterday morning I woke up like normal and carried on with my day fine but in the afternoon I notice I was still hurting me. I told my mum which she then rang nhs and they said if my symptoms got worse to ring back. I was looking in my scalp and noticed a slight bald spot. I didn't notice it the other day because I have curly hair so sometimes I don't see my scalp. I don't know if the bold spot stress or is part of the problem. But te pain feels like I've had my hair in a tight pony for a very long time which i never wear so I'm not sure what's wrong. Any advice would be help.

Thank you

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Shanij

I sincerely hope that you are feeling as well as you possibly can be today? Welcome to the forum and it is wonderful to make your acquaintance. I have pasted for you below a link to our mother site, FMA UK which hosts loads of useful Fibro information:

fmauk.org/

I am so truly sorry to read this and there are quite a few possibilities for this, the main one is Trichodynia, and I have pasted an excerpt from *Google below:

*The pain sometimes is described as burning. Trichodynia often is associated with hair loss, but some studies show it has no connection to hair loss. Often there is an underlying psycho-somatic cause, such as stress, depression or anxiety.23 Sep 2007

Another possibility is an issue with blood supply in the scalp, a typical male problem! I have pasted an excerpt from the **Observed website below:

**A major contributor to hair loss is reduced blood supply to the scalp. Stress and aging can reduce circulation and vasculature in subcutaneous tissues all over the head. Does your scalp feel sore to the touch? If so, you may be losing hair due to reduced blood flow and the accompanying reductions in oxygen and nutrients.

Either way, I would talk to your doctor about what is happening for you, and ascertain if there is anything that they can do to help you? I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck and please take care of yourself my friend.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken

• I often have the same feeling in my scalp as if hair has been pulled hard or scalp has been sunburned. I'm not losing any hair I don't think but it's really painful at times. Bit worried about what to do when I go on holiday next month.

• I had scalp pain a few days ago. I think that mine was as a result of having sever neck pain/spasm.

• Hello Shanij and welcome to our friendly fibro forum where you can find understanding, advice, help and support.

Have you had a diagnosis of fibro or are you still undergoing tests?

I have scalp pain above and also in my ear and it is caused by the occipital nerve which runs around your scalp from your neck. I have arthritis in my neck and sometimes this nerve is affected. It is so painful I can't comb or brush my hair.

Perhaps this calls for a visit to your doctor.

Hope to see you around the forum.

Kay

• Hi Hun just read your msg- I too have this all the time, more so if I tie my hair back don't know what it is but I have been hair sore all my life!

• Hi there

It sounds like allodynia? I have this with migraine, it feels like you've had a really tight pony tail in. The roots of the hair feel really sore and painful in a patch, not all over. i think allodynia is also a feature of Fibro?

You may also like...