Just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia!

I am new to this and would like some advice! How do I make my work colleagues and managers understand how much pain I really am in! I feel they see me as trying to get out of work! Once diagnosed by the hospital I am waiting for my doctor to pescribe the prescription the hospital doctor wrote to him but I am still waiting! I have so many questions!

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi I wish I knew the answer to that , I went through this , and I am afraid unless you were super woman before ,they won't get it even your closest friends will have trouble , I carried on working till my body just stopped , my advice to you is take all the help you can get from your Drs ,ask to go to a pain and fatigue clinic , ask for an occupational health appointment ,at work , they should make it easier for you , but the majority of people will not understand they are ignorant in there arrogance about our condition, and I have to say , I was once one of those people ,

You must learn to pace yourself and cut back on your stress , if you can't do the job you used to do ,they should try and find you a job within the company so you can continue to work , if eventually you find they are trying to make things difficult for you I would suggest you go off sick , please don't leave it like I did , I made myself very unwell , however don't resign because that is basically what they are going to want you to do ,I never took time off work sick , then on the 30 th of Jan 2014 I took two weeks off complete rest at Drs insistent and I never got back I always thought I would go back to work , but I have been told I did to much in that last few months and I will now never work again , I was so scared I had always worked thought stress was good for me , my god was I wrong , in the last two years I have learned who my friends are , and that I can manage , and the best place to come for help and support is here as here people understand,

I hope I haven't upset you by my response , I am also sorry I am the first to respond to you today , please keep you chin up , and if they are not kind to you in work get your Union involved , and keep lines of communication open with your employer and Drs get your dr to write letter if necessary to explain you have a chronic illness,

Big hugs ,let us know how you get on ,

Chris xx

• Thanks Chris! No you haven't upset me, I am worried about losing my job from this!

Once I've seen the Occupational health adviser may help, but they want so much more from us so not sure I will fit in if I can't do the job!!

I will keep you updated! Thanks once again.

Sam xx

• I am so genuinely sorry to read that you are struggling and suffering so much with your Fibro, and I sincerely hope that you can get your prescription soon.

I have pasted you a link below to our mother site FMA UK cache on printable patient information booklets. These may help you?

fmauk.org/information-packs...

I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken

• Thanks il print it off and hopefully get people I work with onboard and understand!

Thanks once again.

Sam

• Its hard to let anyone know exactly how your pain is for you but what I did is what Ken is suggesting. I printed off as much info as I could and gave it to my team leader and asked her to inform my work colleagues of my condition. It actually educated them because before I did this I would hear them talking about people with fibro having "a made up illness to get out of things because they are lazy". You cant educate some people but I think my actions made a difference to some understanding. Gentle hugs Joolz.x

• It is getting people to understand what you have been going through!

I'm trying to get as much understandable information for them to read!

Thanks for the gentle hug.

Sam

• alifelessphysical.com/2016/...

Just found this and thought it might hep you 😌 My I between my brain fog I remember your post , progress on my part at least , hope your ok xxxx

You may also like...