Clear as mud!

Brief history; have a diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis and possible FM which keeps getting thrown about despite not being properly diagnosed.

I saw a different rheumatologist to my usual one today. It appears that they both seem to suffer from the same terrible affliction of not making much sense.

I was seen due to upper body muscle weakness and stiffness alongside nerve compression that had a fairly rapid onset a few months ago. She diagnosed 'chronic pain'. I asked if she meant Fibromyalgia (a diagnosis that has been suggested before) to which she replied that Fibromyalgia is......"pain without any cause. Your pain has a cause." Of course, the natural question that followed came from my Mum who I brought along for moral support. She wanted to know was RA the cause and if not, what was? The answer; your inflammatory markers are normal, try some physio sessions which is not an answer at all really! This is particularly true given that RA eroded my joints at a steady pace during the early course of the disease with only mildly raised inflammatory markers. She did asked if I was stressed. I was torn between telling her "I told you that I'm a social worker, I'm ALWAYS stressed!" and "well, I am now!!" but settled for a non-committal response. Soooooo, I'm still in the dark as I await neck MRI results and pray that they shed some light.

2 Replies

• that's shocking . I was told my by GP about 6 months after attending rheumatology that I had fibromyalgia ... and I asked since when and he said since you first attendees hospital . I thought thanks for telling me X ...

big hugs and good luck getting some truthful answers

• Hi crashdoll

I am so genuinely sorry to read this and I sincerely hope that you can get some answers at some point? I can imagine that they go along the lines of non-committal of diagnosis then no mistakes? But that does not help you one iota! Please take care of yourself.

All my hopes and dreams for you

You may also like...