Has anyone else experienced being in the middle of GP and hospital funding?

Since my diagnosis last autumn there seems to be an argument over who is paying for blood tests and investigations.

The most recent was a cardiologist who recommended a blood test for heart failure, he said the hospital could not do it and I was to get it done by my GP practice.

When I spoke to the GP about another matter and mentioned this blood test , he was most put out. He is now insisting that the blood forms have to come from the hospital as the surgery is charged for each test.

I think it is unfair to be in the middle of this. My GP is normally very supportive so it looks like he is being instructed by the practice manager. It's no help to me though.

Any suggestions?

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi bluebell99

I sincerely hope that you are feeling as well as you can be today? I am so sorry to read that you have been caught in the middle of the 'who pays game'. It really isn't fair on the patient to have to suffer for this. I was caught in this for another health problem that I have as one of the medications was rather expensive.

I got the medication eventually, but it didn't really make any sense to me as within a few months my GP sent me to a private practitioner (they paid) which is how I got my Fibro diagnosis.

I sincerely hope that you can find some resolution and relief to this issue and that isn't doesn't affect you again.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken x

• I am afraid you have to persist you are right you should not be caught between them. \is getting it done privately an option? One way or another you need it done so keep on at them.

xxgins Good luck good health

• Hi Ken and Gins, thank you for your replies.

I think I am between a rock and a hard place. I cannot afford to go privately as I read somewhere the cost of each test and it can be pretty expensive. I think even a basic thyroid test costs in excess of forty pounds.

Unfortunately I have a lot of autoimmune conditions which require monitoring, hence the blood tests.

I am concerned if I insist at the GP surgery they are within their rights to exclude me from their lists altogether. :(

I know I cost them a lot of money with prescriptions and referrals.

I have a letter for ?limming World, (I could go to WW, but it is a bit faraway). They will be paying for 12 weeks to help me with my weight problem. They will also pay towards a gym for 6 weeks. I have a very supportive GP, just think he is getting pressure from the Practice Manager.

The cardiologist has now written to him stating I need this blood test in order to get a diagnosis but I think the GP is right. If this request was initiated by the hospital then the hospital should pay.

I never thought funding would be such an issue.

Nancy Xx

You may also like...