Vitamin D3 reduces my FM symptoms

I've been taking calciun & vitamin D tablets for about 4 years, due to low calcium levels, & age. My inability to do exercise, & erratic diet due to low income, made me concerned about developing osteoporosis. I also eat D fortified soya milk, & other soya products which are supposed to aid calcium absorption. However, a blood test a 4 months ago flagged up both calcium & vitamin D deficiency, which surprised me as I thought I was taking over the RDA.

When I checked the labels, I found almost all the supplements I use contained D2, ergocalciferol, which is not absorbed as well as D3, colecalciferol. D3 is closer to the natural form produced by the effect of sunlight on the body. I'm like a dormouse, & have rarely been out for years, so have little chance of getting any sunlight.

I've now been taking D3 supplements for about 3 months, & recently swapped to calcium with D3. I feel a less achey, even taking summer temperatures into account, less fatigued, & generally better than I've felt for years, even well enough to venture out a few times a week.

My new GP said he has since prescribed D3 to 50 other patients with FM symptoms, & said many have reported feeling better. He also advised me eat healthy oils (nuts etc,) & to avoid vegetable oils as they cause inflammation in the body, though I've since read good quality organic oils are ok to use, if you need to.

A book I've been reading by Philip Weeks suggests avoiding gluten altogether, for neurological disorders, which is next on my things to try.

Hope this helps other people.

2 Replies

• I have taken VitD3, etc as my levels were low but it has not made much difference for my as yet. I have gone gluten free which has helped enormously with some symptoms.

• Thanks Jilly!

I'll give it a go after I've cleared the cupboard of pasta.

You may also like...