Working with fibro

Hi all I recently been diagnosed with fibro with symptoms and tests going back years. Over last five months my symptoms are getting worse but still class as mild compared to some stories I read. My boss seems sympathetic although now have occupational health "helping me" I feel they are trying to catch me out rather than help. I'm concerned they are using this to force me out of job. I'm struggling coping with work some days as feel exhausted and aching all over but try not to show as don't want them feeling I am a liability. Is anyone else in same situation?

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Peter, You are right to gather as much information as you can on your rights and how to deal with your health situation within the work place and err on the side of caution with occupational health, as these days many lean towards the Employer rather than the Employee, though there are some good ones out there. I have had dealings with Occ. Health, though too lengthy to go into here. Fibromyalgia is classed as a disability, so as you know you do have rights. Here's some suggestions, you could get more information from a Union, if you are a member, Disability Rights, CAB, Fibromyalgia Helpline, DAP (Wales). You should get everything in writing with any meetings that take place with Occ. Health. The other Healthunlocked Fibromyalgia UK has 24,000 followers so it's worth asking there too. Hope this is of some help.

Alice

• Hi Again, I meant over 240,000. Alice

• Sorry, brain fog, I was right the first time.

• Yes although my employer knows I have fibromyalgia I try not to let it affect my work. I am finding working full-time increasingly hard and I am now in bed as absolutely shattered tonight and aching all over. I have hospital appointments coming up which may have a bearing on my future at work and what I actually do.

• lozzles, as having Fibro myself, I understand how working full time can be almost impossible. The backlash of pain that comes after a strenuous day completely wipes us out. Let us know how you do with the upcoming hospital appointments. Sending you gentle hugs and wishing you well. x