What is a chemical pregnancy??

Hi, I just want to ask what a chemical pregnancy is ,?i had a positive test and am currently 5 weeks pregnant and have a 6 week scan nxt week.

But, now I'm a bit concerned as I've heard conflicting things re chemical pregnancies.

Do you bleed with chemical pregnancies ?

Has anyone ever had positive pregnancy test result but when scanned told it's a chemical pregnancy?? Can this happen ??

Thank you , just so much conflicting stuff on Internet.

Xx

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • A chemical pregnancy is a very early miscarriage, which takes place before anything can be seen on an scan – usually around the fifth week that you are pregnant. It means that a sperm has fertilised your egg, but later on, the egg fails to survive.

I copied it off a site I was looking on as couldn't explain in my own words lol X

• So does that mean that even if your pregnancy test says positive the scan at 6 weeks could say otherwise !??

• Hi miamia, if you get to scan stage and they cannot see heartbeat, then this is classed as a missed miscarriage as you do not bleed and your body still thinks your pregnant, however as button says a chemical pregnancy is in the very early weeks of which people normally think of as a late period if they are not testing everymonth you would never know. Please don't worry yourself, everything will be fine xx

• Aim aim usually with a chemical it turns into your period. If you go to a scan and there's there's nothing there or no heartbeat /stopped development/empty sac etc that's a missed miscarriage. -I'm sure you will be fine at your scan 😊Try not to go into overdrive looking at the negatives, when there probably are non xxxx

• Generally I think they refer to a chemical pregnancy as when the home pregnancy test reacts to the hcg from your trigger shot. This only happens on a fresh cycle, not on an fet xx

• Well, hun, hope you’ll never need it and everything goes smoothly for you. Just answering the question. This is what happens during chemical pregnancy. About three weeks after your last menstrual period, a fertilized egg implants in the uterus. Cells that would become the placenta begin to produce levels of hCG that are high enough to detect on a blood or urine test. However, for some reason it does not complete implantation. An ultrasound will not be able to detect a gestational sac or placenta developing. (Resulting in bleeding around a week after your regular period was due). If a woman has heavy bleeding (with or without cramping) after a positive pregnancy test, she must call a doctor, as she may be experiencing a chemical pregnancy.

As for what causes it.

At the time of conception, an egg and a sperm combine chromosomes to form a zygote, which begins to grow through rapid cell division. During that process, occasionally a mistake happens, producing too many chromosomes or not enough. :(

These chromosomal abnormalities (which occur randomly and can happen to anyone) are believed to be behind most early pregnancy losses. And they definitely don’t mean a woman won’t be able to get pregnant and stay pregnant in the future. However several risk factors (including advanced maternal age) can put a woman at a higher risk of chemical pregnancies.

• Very helpful information. Thanks x

You may also like...