IVF Aftercare, Edinburgh clinic - Fertility Network UK

Fertility Network UK
25,546 members37,366 posts

IVF Aftercare, Edinburgh clinic

Hidden
Hidden

Has anyone had a bad experience with the doctors or not getting proper care from the Edinburgh fertility clinic? I don’t think I’m happy at all on how they have handle my cases in (EFREC) Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, felt very much mistreated.

15 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Susicuatro

I can’t comment on after care yet - I will be starting IVF from Edinburgh in the coming months. But interested to hear what issues there are to look out for.

I had a bad experience after my HSG where I got an infection and was very unwell, but there was no support or after care. I know that’s not the same.

How have they handled your case?

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Arya10

Hi Arya10, thank you for your reply. Here is my experience. I got a positive on the blood test, but these 9 weeks have been the worst of my life. First scan was after I bled for a bit and a big blood clot came out. We though we had a miscarriage but after the scan they said it was ok and to continue with the drugs. Second scan scheduled in a week’s time was awful. The the doctor wasn’t clear on what he saw or didn’t see on the scan and didn't really tell us much during the scan and left us in limbo for a week. We weren’t moved to another room to be carefully explained what was going on to and I had to ask to a random nurse for the extra drugs and my next appointment, It was a terrible experience, treated imo like a another number instead of a person. Third scan the doctor called for a second opinion during the scan, when he came in not there wasnt even a hi, just told the other doctor that they needed to talk outside, it just made me feel horrible. This time we were taken to another room and the doctor popped his head in and said he was going to get a “chaplain” nurse which scared us. Then they came in and proceeded to explain about a silent miscarriage but my husband had to ask the Doctor to be clear because he was just beating around the bush. When he was describing what I’d go through instead of calling me from my name he called me “the lady”, how nice of them to refer to their patients that way. Just awful treatment in my view specially when they are explaining or supposedly explaining that you will have a miscarriage. We had to go back down for another scan then then the other scanner picked something up but smaller than it should be so we were sent away again with no information and basically told to cross our fingers. I’m just in bits. Still waiting on a final scan this Friday. We know what they’re going to say but they left us in limbo because there weren’t enough staff. I jus my hope my post helps other couples and what they should expect.

Arya10
Arya10 in reply to Hidden

I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through. It’s difficult enough without being treated like that. The care and empathy really does seem to be random. It sounds like they’re not too sure what’s happening inside you (and I’ve learned over the years to take everything I’m told by a doctor with an open mind and pinch of salt) so you still have hope! Fingers crossed for you and big hugs xx

I had 2 rounds of ivf there. I found all the staff very pleasant and helpful and was offered counselling each time it didn't work, and a follow up with the consultant. I couldn't fault them. The system only allowed really for one protocol which didnt match with me - that was more than frustrating. However I couldn't complain about the staff at all.

X

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Camillage

Hi Camillage, hope you don’t mind me asking but was yours NHS or self founded? Thank you

Camillage
Camillage in reply to Hidden

Hi. Not at all. Mine was NHS x

I'm sorry you had to experience this. It's very common, actually. You have no idea how difficult it is to find a good clinic. It's really important to do your research before making a decision. Hopefully, you get a BFP, so that you don't have to experience this again. Good luck and lots of baby dust! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Gertiee

Thank you Gertiee for your reply, I added all the details of my experience under Daisy1245 reply, just hope that my post and experience might help other couples. For me other woman’s comments have help me in these difficult times.

I think it depends a bit of what aftercare you expected and how you feel they have failed - I found my clinic so supportive up to ET but after that you are kind of on your own and if you get a bfn it’s a case of bad luck let us know when you want your follow up appt

I am not criticising my clinic - I just don’t think they can help much post ET it’s luck and nature then

Sorry you aren’t being supported - maybe it is time to change x

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Daisy1245

Hi Daisy, thank you for your reply. I got a positive on the blood test, but these 9 weeks have been the worst of my life. First scan was after I bled for a bit and a big blood clot came out. We though we had a miscarriage but after the scan they said it was ok and to continue with the drugs. Second scan scheduled in a week’s time was awful. The the doctor wasn’t clear on what he saw or didn’t see on the scan and didn't really tell us much during the scan and left us in limbo for a week. We weren’t moved to another room to be carefully explained what was going on to and I had to ask to a random nurse for the extra drugs and my next appointment, It was a terrible experience, treated imo like a another number instead of a person. Third scan the doctor called for a second opinion during the scan, when he came in not there wasnt even a hi, just told the other doctor that they needed to talk outside, it just made me feel horrible. This time we were taken to another room and the doctor popped his head in and said he was going to get a “chaplain” nurse which scared us. Then they came in and proceeded to explain about a silent miscarriage but my husband had to ask the Doctor to be clear because he was just beating around the bush. When he was describing what I’d go through instead of calling me from my name he called me “the lady”, how nice of them to refer to their patients that way. Just awful treatment in my view specially when they are explaining or supposedly explaining that you will have a miscarriage. We had to go back down for another scan then then the other scanner picked something up but smaller than it should be so we were sent away again with no information and basically told to cross our fingers. I’m just in bits. Still waiting on a final scan this Friday. We know what they’re going to say but they left us in limbo because there weren’t enough staff. I jus my hope my post helps other couples and what they should expect.

Daisy1245
Daisy1245 in reply to Hidden

Oh gosh I am so sorry that really does sound terrible. I completely misunderstood your original post.

I had a similar experience with a missed miscarriage where I had to keep going back for 4 weeks because nothing was definitive on the scans.. but was always treated respectfully. No one should be treated like you were and the clinic need to learn from their errors - you definitely need to complain. Lots of love and hugs xx

Camillage

That does sound awful. Was that in the EPU or the clinic? We were with the EPU when we had our anembryonic back in April and I have to say that, despite it being an horrific time for my husband and I emotionally, the teams there were fantastic.

I am so sorry you are going through all this. Xxx

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Camillage

I’m so glad you got the support you needed, I think is extremely important as it is a very difficult journey. I had my procedures in Edinburgh Fertility & Reproductive Endocrine Centre (EFREC) Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. I already had to complain once. Might have to change clinics now.

Camillage

The issue is that there is not a lot of choice in edinburgh. The EPU is just across the small roundabout from EFREC. I am so surprised that they have behaved in this way to you. Are you NHS funded? The next nearest clinic would be Glasgow. DM me if you would like to chat xxx

You may also like...