Fertility Network UK
13,919 members22,899 posts

ICSI #1 BFN

As the title says, our first go didn’t work 😣 10 eggs collected, 9 fertilised but by day 5 the only blastocyst was poor quality (3cc) and there was nothing to freeze. Transfer was on the Monday (with 3cc) and I was bleeding by Saturday, so only 5 days later. Period came 14 days after egg collection. I have felt sad and down since transfer day basically 😢 We paid for this go and I had mentally counted on frozen as a ‘back up’. In all my usual cycles I spot-bleed (with pain) at least for four days before period starts, so I kind of knew it hadn’t worked. I basically feel like I’ve massively failed, I’m scared about doing exactly the same thing again, I spoke to our nurse and she agreed bleeding that early isn’t good.... so hoping that they’re going to suggest doing something different?!

I feel a bit like I’ve been hit by a bus 😬 scared that I can’t cope with the mental stress & anxiety that IVF brings. I guess everyone feels like that!

Does anyone have any suggestions on tests I should see if they can do? Or have people gone on to have much better second eggs etc?

There are so many strong people on here, I don’t know how you all keep going, it’s so hard!!! Thanks for listening to my ramble! Xx

15 Replies
oldestnewest

Hey hun I am so sorry it hasn't worked out :( it sucks when it fails. My first ivf failed and I only managed to get 3 eggs and one fertlised. The second cycle I done much better and I got 13 eggs! I even managed to get some frozen embryos but again that cycle failed. I felt so disappointed and hurt as we had paid for that cycle. But now with my frozen cycle I just got a positive! It's still early days and so much can change. But don't lose hope. I had the scratch done on this cycle and I had lubion injections and steriods. Here if you want to talk x

1 like

Thank you for your reply - huge congratulations on your positive! It’s really good to hear about successes 😊 Were your clinic surprised you had few eggs first time? How long did you leave between cycles? Did you have some kind of test before lubion injections & was that as well as pessaries? Sorry for all the questions! Xx

Thank you very much. On my first cycle I was on bemfola and I guess I just didn't respond well. I have low Amh aswell and endometriosis. So I guess by the second cycle I wasn't expecting much tbh! I was surprised when they said I had 13 eggs. I was on menupor injections then. I waited 6 months inbtween cycles but that's because my husband I just wanted to enjoy life after our negative. After my second failed cycle I went and had my NK cells testsed and it showed I had high NK cells. Hense why I was on steriods this time around. With regards to the lubion I wasn't testsed etc I was just told to take them on my second cycle along with the cyslogest! My official test date is on Monday so I pray I still have a positive then! Please keep hope in your mind. I really lost myself during my cycles and had to remind myself of things I was grateful for. I still have a long way to go! But we have made a little step that I didn't in my wildest dreams thought would be true x

I’ll keep everything crossed for you 😍🤞 it’s crazy isn’t it, it feels impossible... you’re right we need to keep hoping. Did you have to pay for NK cells test or can NHS cycles have this? So the steroids are to get rid of the killer cells? It’s all so complicated 🙈 I feel like there are too many variables 😱

Good luck for Monday 🤞🙏 let us know! 💖

Thank you so much, this forum has been there for me during my tough times. It was on here that I found out about the nk cells. I paid £540 to have this test done at Warwick and coventry hospital. I had to go twice as they wanted to compare the results by taking a biopsy for 2 months. I am so glad I got this done. As implantation is my issue. The steriods are meant to suppress your immune system so my body doesn't "attack" the embryo. Every step is a milestone so feel proud of yourself. You are a strong lady, it takes guts and courage to keep going x

1 like

Ahh thank you💕 - it’s hard picking yourself up again, as everyone knows! Xx

I definitely know this too well. Don't rush into anything, take your time and be kind to yourself. X

It is hard. It’s really unfair. I’m sorry for your bfn xx

1 like

I’m so sorry. We had a very poor first round and a better but still not great second round, where they switched me from just menopur to menopur and gonal-f for stims.

On my third round I’ve been on 25% more progesterone but I’m not sure if it’s because I bled early on previous rounds (same as you, two weeks exactly after egg collection both times) or because it was a frozen transfer. But it worked, I got my bfp today.

We paid £3000 for “level one and level two tests” but some of these tests looked at implantation. Our problem was discovered through karyotyping so if you’re looking to pay for extra tests, maybe this one for both of you and a sperm fragmentation test for your hubbie? Also lots of people have their thyroid tested, levels have to be pretty low for the women when ttc I believe.

I have been lucky enough to access free counselling through my work which has helped keep me sane through recent months and I’ve also had acupuncture, the cost of which I have been claiming back through a healthcare cash back plan.

1 like

Thanks for your reply Lizzie 💗 I’m really excited for you and your BFP! 🤞 Xx

It is hard after a BFN and bleeding to see a way forward but Im sure as time goes on you'll pick yourself up. I had a rough first cycle, all of our embryos died before transfer. The only thing that was changed (by me as hospital couldnt suggest anything else) was to try DHEA and ubiquinol is another one that is supposed to help egg quality. Cycles can vary so Im not saying that this was definitely what helped but we did better on cycles 2 & 3, (wont bore you with details, you can nosey at my old posts), however its the only thing I did differently. Still chasing that elusive BFP but might be something worth discussing with your clinic. The other thing was that I started bleeding early like you, I didnt on my DE cycle but I had higher dose of progesterone so worth asking your clinic if you can take a higher dose (my NHS clinic werent interested in my pleas for higher dose) to better support your next transfer if and when you are ready to try again. Plan something nice to do together to reward yourselves for going through this crappy journey! Sending hugs.xx

1 like

Thanks for your reply Cinderella 🙂 We both took ubiquinol (the more expensive one) for 3 months.... not sure if we will continue with it. I hope they’ll look into the progesterone. I hope your next go is successful 🤞 💗 Xx

1 like

Hi As100, I just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear about your bfn. I would just take some time and sit down with your consultant. I’m not sure about tests for improving egg quality as I have had to use donor eggs. But maybe a hysteroscopy would be a suggestion. Take care of yourself xx

1 like

Thank you for your reply 🙂 I’ve already had a hyst op. Have you used DE in the UK? I wish you all the very best on the rest of your tww!!! 🤞🙏💖🍀 Xx

I went to Athens for the DE, the waitlist was too long here. But in hindsight we probably should’ve put ourselves on the waitlist here.

You may also like...