Fertility Network UK
14,684 members24,289 posts

Everything you wanted to know about IVF (but were afraid to ask)

Everything you wanted to know about IVF (but were afraid to ask)

Hi everyone! My fertility treatment began with Ovulation Induction in 2015. After six failed cycles, my husband and I moved onto IVF... and just one cycle later, we became the proud parents of a beautiful, hilarious and very farty baby boy! He's now nearly two months old.

But the IVF process itself could (should?) have been easier...

I'm not sure about you, but it often seemed like the doctors didn't have the time to answer my questions, reassure me or explain what was going on. Sometimes I actually felt ignored – such as when I was certain my dosage was too high but they told me it'd be fine... and then I ended up in hospital for moderate/severe OHSS.

And then there's the fact that they'd say things like "Your AMH levels are xxx", and I'd have no clue what that meant or whether it was good or bad! They'd attempt to explain it if they had a spare moment, but those explanations were usually full of medical terminology that I just didn't understand.

I'm a writer (and compulsive researcher), so I started a website that demystifies and explains all aspects of the IVF process, in plain English, and with plenty of jokes and diagrams! Articles include "The IVF process from start to finish", "7 things no one tells you about IVF (and what to do about them)", "Fresh embryo transfer vs frozen", and "FSH levels: what you need to know" – among many others.

You can find these articles and more at theduff.co.uk/. And if you have any suggestions for future articles, I'd love to know them!

(The site is completely free, ad-free and product-free. It exists purely to be a helpful, educational site for those who want to understand more about the treatment they're going through.)

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Awesome! Thank you. (The bit a out embryo transfer was both hilarious and informative!!)

1 like

Ah thank you so much – I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Please do let me know if there are any topics you'd like me to research and write about next: I want to add as many helpful articles as I can.

A section on progesterone suppositories would be v v v useful or like a generic tips and tricks for ivf (like making use you’ve got loads of trousers with an elasticated waistbands!)

1 like

Haha! Happy to do both! What sort of info would be most useful to you when it comes to progesterone suppositories?

Gosh, I remember those suppositories... glad that's over for now!

Like when to go number 2, the how and the why etc :)

1 like

Ooh how wonderful!

Will be going through FET soon and your article fresh vs FET has put half my

Mind at rest and the other half wondering what freezing process they used!

New clinic asked if they were frozen singularly (!) I had no idea- I wish they would explain these things at the time.

Great work on the site 👍🏻

1 like

Argh how annoying and frustrating for you. A similar thing would happen to me a lot: someone would ask a question, expecting me to know the answer – but I wouldn't, because the person who was meant to explain it to me in the first place didn't! So I'd end up feeling silly and ignorant.

Good luck with the FET – and remember you have every right to ask them which freezing process they used (if you want to know)!

1 like

Great idea! A lot of good info and very familiar experiences - love the description of an embryo transfer! Also the dildocam “er... ow” - very funny 😂

This will be a goldmine off information for those starting out and is a good read for anyone on the IVF journey. Congrats on your little boy x

1 like

Thanks ever so much for the kind comments – and I'm so glad you're finding the site useful/funny! Please do let me know if there are any topics you'd like me to research and write about next!

1 like

What a great idea..I too share some of your feelings above so will definitely check out your website. Congrats in your successful ivf too xxx

1 like

Thank you – so glad you like the idea! If there are any topics you'd like me to research and write about next, please do let me know: I'm planning to add a bunch more articles to the site as soon as I get a spare moment or two!

An article on improving egg quality/number. There are many questions around DHEA on this forum xx

2 likes

Thanks, Anipea! Is this the kind of information you meant: theduff.co.uk/egg-quality-q...

You may also like...