Fertility Network UK

A bit confused?!

Hi ladies,

I went for my day 2-5 scan today (hoping to start short protocol next month), but whilst I was there my doctor said something about not doing a fresh cycle as I have PCOS and it would be better to do a frozen transfer. I was just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this? She was running late so felt like I couldn’t really ask questions about it and I’m going back on the 2nd Feb for the injection session so thought I will just ask then, but now I’m at home its got me thinking.. any advice would be great! X

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Hey, will this be your first fresh cycle? I’m not totally sure but if it is, she might be being cautious and depending how you react to stimming you may need to freeze the embryos and then do a frozen transfer. I to have PCOS and was told all about this just in case xx

Hiya, yes this will be my first cycle (thinking it was fresh but sounds like it’s going to be frozen) xx

As long as they monitor you closely and you don’t over stimulate I don’t see why you couldn’t have a fresh transfer. I’ve had 2 fresh cycles both long protocol and have able to go ahead with day 5 transfers. I think they just like to give you all the possibilities just sounds like they weren’t very well explained xx

Hi. I don't know a lot about this, but there is a lot of research on frozen cycles vs fresh cycles at the moment, and wondering if replacing the embryo not straight after egg collection, in a more normal cycle is a good idea... when the hormone levels haven't been so haywire and possible effects on the womb lining etc. Apparently, units have been noticing higher preg rates when they do frozen cycles rather than fresh... I know Oxford is now doing formal research into this.

When you have PCOS there is more of a risk of over-stimulation, producing too many follicles/immature eggs.. so I wonder if there is some research being done in this area, and thinking best to freeze, then replace on a more 'normal' cycle?

Let us know when you find out a definitive answer!

best wishes xx

1 like

Thank you for your reply, it’s very helpful! She did mention something about producing more follicles but like I said, she was running late and I felt like I didn’t have time to go in depth. I could kick myself now as I want to know more about it. X

1 like

Hiya ive had the short protocol twice now and neither time did we go straight to the freezer.

I have PCOS also im a slow but good responder. On my last egg collection they collected 17 eggs but only 12 were mature enough to be fertilised.

They will monitor you closely as you are a higher risk of over stimulation and becoming pregnant can make it worse.

I was lucky and never had any symptoms of Ohss but i did drink lots of water etc after egg collection.

1 like

You may also like...