Fertility Network UK
13,918 members22,899 posts

About to start IVF short protocol

Hey everyone,

We had our first proper IVF meeting today at the clinic where it was explained we would be on the short protocol. All drugs were explained. Docs signed. Agreed to take part in a research study for endometrial scratch. Whirlwind appointment and still trying to take it all in.

I think I will be on the short protocol because of my FsH 10.1 and my AMH 15.4 AFC 10 (I have a feeling this last one isn’t so good?!)

I’m 34. Reading the internet and trying not to freak out to much, but I see that the short protocol is usually offered to women with lower ovarian reserve... guess that’s me! I always try to find a way to blame myself for things not working out as I hoped. I was feeling kind of excited and optimistic but now not so sure.

Anyone else been through the short protocol?

Hope all is going well for you gals too x

17 Replies
oldestnewest

Hiya lovely I had long protocol for my 1st round of icsi ..such a poor response to it and my AMH is 19. 2nd round I done a short protocol and had a much better response which resulted in a bfp but sadly miscarried. Everybody react totally different to the meds ect..try not to stress yourself out your clinic is putting you on the best one suitable for you. Wish it you lots of luck and baby dust xx

Thank you lovely. You’re right, just need to trust they have figured out what is the best for me! Always looking for an answer to explain the unexplainable : ) love and luck for you too xx

1 like

I been struggling with infertility for 10 years now and I still look for answers for everything lol we are so hard on ourselves on times. Thank you xx

1 like

Wow 10 Years, I can only imagine how hard that must be! It’s 2 for us and that’s been tough enough. Really hope you will get that happy news you deserve x

Thank you lovely. Currently on round 3 so hoping it's 3rd time lucky for us xx

I had short protocol for the reasons you suspect... but my AFC was weigh lower than yours. Don’t worry about it... drs decide different things for different people based on what they have experienced. My friend had good AMH and AFC and she did long protocols and failed 4 times. First time they did short protocol with two embryos.... it worked! x

1 like

Thank you for your reassuring words : )

I’m 32 and had a high AMH of 23 and had the short protocol and it worked first time, I’m now 10 weeks pregnant. You have a good AMH so I assume they are putting you on the short protocol as they suspect you will react well to stimulation. I would count yourself lucky as the short protocol is much easier as stimulation is over in a couple of weeks and therefore less time for your hormones to run riot. Good luck! 🍀🤞

1 like

Thank you! And congratulations :)

Hi, I had short protocol and it really is so much shorter and easier than long protocol. I too have low AMH, I was 39 when I did that cycle. I still managed to produce 5 blastocysts. 2 were transferred in my fresh cycle which failed, however I did have undiagnosed adhesions so they never really stood a chance.

I have 3 frozen and currently busy with my frozen cycle and hope to transfer in next few weeks.

AMH doesn’t mean much as you can have less eggs than someone your age but still produce good quality eggs which is more important.

It really is all about quality and NOT quantity.

Best of luck, short protocol really is good news. I really found the whole process very easy on this protocol.

Good luck!!!

1 like

Thank you for your reply - I am grateful that it will be a shorter time line! I get butterflies just thinking it could be starting at the end of next month! Best of luck with your FET. I was told only 50% of women get frozen embryos so well done for that! x

I was diagnosed with AMH 6.6 at 31 AFC 6 FSH 11. I started short protocol a few months later and got bfp. I am now 19 weeks into my pregnancy. Your numbers look great compared to mine! Its more about egg quality than numbers so dont worry. Its really important to stay positive - good luck xxx

1 like

That's really good to read! So happy for your good news ; ) congratulations x

I was on short protocol for my first round I have an high AMH and they were concerned I would over stimulate. I wouldn't blame yourself there are different reasons why they do long and short protacol, the short one will mean less injections so it's a good thing! Good luck with everything xx

1 like

Thank you : )

Hi. I was on short protocol too but don’t think I had any issues with ovarian reserve (our problem was my OH’s count and motility). Like a couple of others have mentioned it was more because my ovaries had a polycystic appearance so they didn’t want to over-stimulate. I was very lucky that it worked first time so must have been a good decision.

Hope all goes well for you. xx

1 like

Ah, so good to read another success story! Thank you for taking the time to reply and share it : )

You may also like...