Fertility Network UK
12,714 members20,623 posts

Ivf and smoking

Hi all so i had my appointment today and have been told my next step is to see if we qualify for ivf. Only issue is my husband is a smoker and the Dr said that if he is a smoker then no ivf treatment. OH will be tested and im very upset as he doesn’t stop smoking. To me it shows his not serious enough and not willing to do this for us and our future. Ive spoke to him but his answer is “i will stop soon”! Ive been hearing him say that over the past few years. The balls in his court but i know that his not willing to do anything about it. Im just stuck ☹️

2 Replies
oldestnewest

Smoking is a big addiction and super hard to stop. You have to have big will power to just stop. I used to smoke and I managed to stop quite easily. My hubby on the other hand finds it difficult he is cutting down slowly. You need to try and educate him about what smoking does to sperm and how it affects your ivf chances. Does he want a child if so he needs to do his utmost to stop. If he goes to drs they can give him meds to help stop. It just won't be a case of stop and he'll stop unless he's got that will power. He's going to need to see why he needs to stop what affects it has and that he can get help regards to it. Xx

I am sorry, I hope yr hubby will keep his promises.

You may also like...