need make my mind - please help

Hi, all lovely ladies here!

I'll tell briefly about myself. I'm 43 yo, unexplained infertility. Three years ago applied for de ivf in Greece and successfully got pregnant. I'm a happy mother of 2 yo girl.

But I've realized that I wanna have one more child, if twins even better. My husband absolutely supports me. So this time we began looking for another abroad fertility center from the point of any financial benefit as treatment in the previous clinic became pretty more expensive.

So we've come along some info as for the egg donation programmes in biotexcom clinic and just wanted to know what program would you choose being in my position. They offer the following:

1 attempt - ECONOMY - 4900 euro in 1 installment after you sign the contract. In case selective reduction is needed we will be charged 1000 euro additionally.

2 attempts - DOUBLE - 6900 euro in 2 equal installments. Selective reduction is covered by the package price.

5 attempts - GUARANTEED SUCCESS - 9900 euro in 2 equal installments. In case of 5 negatives they refund the money paid. Selective reduction is covered by the package price as well.

So, judging from my almost being 43 yo, shall we apply for the last one with 5 attempts?? (The previous time we've got pregnant with the 2nd att.! but age may play a bad trick on us).

What will you advice? xxx

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello! Hope you are well.

Marmo - what a dilemma you have in front of you! I've had 2 cycles - each one being "one last try" to various degrees.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But looking at the prices you can see the cost of the full individual package is more or less the same as two single "one last try" cycles. And then you get 3 more for free of needed! Of course you would need to weigh up whether you can afford that kind of costs. In my case (37 yo when I started this journey) I think it would have really helped to have a realistic plan in place for multiple cycles. There is always a chance that the first (or second etc) will work. After all at our ages I think it's wiser to look at more than one cycle.

Also check what is counted as a success. In the plans I looked at (and discounted because they didn't offer much of a saving on individual cycles) a success was a live birth. Meaning any miscarriage or chemical pregnancy is ignored and funded treatment can continue. You might want to check your clinic takes the same approach.Good luck x

• Hi Marmo!

This is a very difficult one...

It depends on I suppose on if financially you would be able to fund the option (3). This enables you to have five attempts and then if unsuccessful get refunded. What would happen if you got your BFP on your first try, do you mind me asking?? Would you get any refund at all? Or do you just lose the remaining money you have paid? Or do they for instance give you a chance to use your additional tries within a certain time scale i.e. within a year or two?

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be going for option 1. Only because I would always air on the side of caution that just in case it doesn't work it would work out more expensive. Whereas when you get a package it works out more financially better for you. Plus it also gives you that piece of mind that should you not be successful first time round you have the other cycles there ready to fall back on.

I would be going with option 3 - but am I just saying that because hind sight is a beautiful thing. I would have gone with option 2 to sort of meet in the middle. Not just one cycle but not going to full hog with the 5 - maybe!? Because I would have been feeling more optimistic...

But the 5 cycles option I feel is a very tempting one both financially and for your options for more cycles etc.

Good luck with your decision and I hope the ladies on here will help you make up your mind xx

• Hello, ladies!

I fully agree! This information is really useful. Though as I have been using this site I have seen countless people come in and get really stressed that their first IVF might not work. And while it is upsetting, it's much easier to deal with if your expectations are realistic. I suppose this information will help people who are just starting out on the IVF journey. Good luck anyone reading this in that situation.

You may also like...