Has anyone had physiotherapy to release tension in the pelvic floor muscles?

Finally I have had a second opinion Colchester hospital in Essex. My last laparoscopy was clear of all endo but I can’t have intercourse often enough to try for kids as it hurts so much. I also have other symptoms that have gone on for years. The last hospital discharged me with IBS.

He wants to rule out deep infiltrating endo in my uterus and surrounding muscles with ultrasound. Then he referred me to have physiotherapy to release the tension in my pelvic floor muscles. I have not ever heard about this. In his experience it has helped many of his patients overcome fully or in part their undiagnosed pain in the pelvis. He was also interested in my complaint of urinating constantly. The last hospital told me basically to stop drinking. I am thrilled that I have someone who is clearly a professional rather than the endless trail charlatans I have endured thus far.

I am up for anything. Has anyone ever had physio of this nature before and did it work for you?

8 Replies

  • Hi

    First of all you cant rule out endo from an ultrasound for the simple reason that endo 99% of times CANNOT be seen in any type of scan even MRI.

    I had all types of scans only to end up having a lap to find out that I have deep infiltrating endo in my right uterosacral ligament.

    I am not sure what physiotherapy could do, cause you obviously dont know the reason the pain you feel.

    As far as the IBS diagnosis, we have all been there, it is what they say when they cant find anything else, but what they forget is that the endo pain is not starting or ending before/after food...

    Sorry I didnt help much with the physiotherapy, but i'm very interested in letting us know how it is when and if you do it.

    Jo x

  • Hi

    Fingers crossed if physio helps. I too am yet to have a lap to tell for definite but have terrible constant back, pelvic and hip pain. I go bk next week. My question is as you have been to Colchester I take it you are local ish. Have you had any appointments at Basildon hospital and if so does anyone know if the have a good endo specialist there?

  • Hi All

    I'm fairly new to this as I was only diagnosed in Feb of this year after a Lap and then had it removed mid August. I had my laps done in Cambridge and they were very good. I have heard of so many woman waiting years to finally get some real answers but I was referred late last year and even though my consultant didn't suspect Endo he did the lap to rule it out anyway so I know I was very lucky as I had stage 3 Endo.

    Rsb2 I am also trying to have another baby I don't know if this would help you but I also had pain when I ovulated and didn't want to even entertain the idea of intercourse but want a baby that much I did try. I had read on another site and in a book written by a fertility doctor about a product called Preseed. It's a lubricant that helps when trying to conceive as many of the medication woman are given when having problems conceiving don't help with your body's normal function below (sorry I still get embarrassed when talking about things like this). Normal lubricants can actually kill a lot of the sperm but Preseed actually helps with the flow and has a warm tingling effect which relaxes your insides. I had experience pain during and after until I used Preseed. I buy it on amazon. If you google it it has a lot of positive reviews. I don't know if this would help with your Endo as I had mine almost everywhere in my lower abdomin apart from my tubes and overies.

    I hope you both get the answers you want soon. I know how it feels to play the waiting game I thought about nothing else for 6 months while waiting for mine to be removed.

    Take care.


  • Hello,

    I am a womens health physio with endo. You can develop what are called trigger points in your pelvic floor muscles that can cause pain in the pelvis. These can be treated by a physiotherapist specialising in womens health by doing trigger point release work, which may involve an internal examination to treat the trigger point.

    I hope this helps

    Miwa xx

  • Hello, I just wondered if you can recommend where to find a suitable physio for the pelvic floor as I'm not sure if feel comfortable or in the right hands with a standard physio?


  • Hi Alison,

    Yes, standard physios are not trained in treating the pelvic floor. You need to see a Womens Health Physiotherapist who has had this specialist training. Either see your GP and ask for a referral to a womens health physiotherapist on the NHS, or go on the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists website where you can search for a womens health physio via your postcode csp.org.uk . This sometimes does not pick up everyone unless they pay to advertise. If you want I can post a request on the womens health physio network to find out who is in your area, if you want to give me your nearest Town/City.


  • Hi Miwa, I am moving to Durham in 5 months time and would like to see a pelvic floor physiotherapist there for the exact problem you mention. Could you find out who is available in that area for me please? Thanks!

  • Hi Libby,

    I've posted a request so i'll get back to you if i hear anything.


You may also like...