Painful sex with endo: Hi everyone, Does... - Endometriosis UK

Endometriosis UK

57,493 members45,913 posts

Painful sex with endo

gemm_19 profile image

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have painful intercourse with endometriosis? It’s one of my worst symptoms. I find every position painful and sometimes I need to stop because it’s so sore. The pain is deep and it’s more my vagina than my stomach if that makes sense.

I’ve been diagnosed with endo via laparoscopy however it’s not on my ovaries or anything and my consultant said it’s only stage 1 so I’m not sure why sex is so painful???

I’m only 27 and have been dealing with this since I was 24. It’s ruining my relationship. Is this my life from now on?

6 Replies

Hi just wanted to let you know your not alone! I don’t have any advice for you, I’m in the stages of trying to find out what me and my partner can do to ease the pain! Don’t give in or up x

gemm_19 profile image
gemm_19 in reply to Aurora20

Thank you, I can’t seem to find anything that helps and I just hate the thought that this is something I’ll have to deal with forever. It really is one of the worst symptoms. Wishing you all the best x

Aurora20 profile image
Aurora20 in reply to gemm_19

I’m currently going to start just doing foreplay for now and not penetrative sex because you can still have the same results and pleasure! There’s lots of things online to help, things we can do that done in love penetration. It definitely is one of the worse symptoms because not only does it cause pain but emotionally it affects us x

gemm_19 profile image
gemm_19 in reply to Aurora20

Thank you that’s what I’ve been doing for the past while, it’s better than nothing! Xx

claudia_91 profile image
claudia_91Moderator

Hi gemm_19

Sorry you've been dealing with this, unfortunately painful sex is a really common symptom of endo that bears no correlation with the severity of the endo in your body. I understand how frustrating it is, it really affects relationships. It would be worth speaking to your GP about any treatments that might help with this. You are entitled to request an appointment with a female GP, or you could ask to speak to the gynaecology lead at your practice.

This article provides some information on how endo can cause painful intercourse: endometriosis.org/resources...

So many women are in the same boat as you! Take care and as Aurora20 says, don't give up until you find what works for you 😊

gemm_19 profile image
gemm_19 in reply to claudia_91

Hi Claudia, thank you for replying. I really hoped that after my lap that would help with the pain but it hasn’t helped at all. My poor partner is really supportive but it does affect us/me a lot and I am worried that this is something I’ll just have to live with. It’s such a horrible symptom!

I’ve been referred to a sexual problems clinic to help with the mental side of things. I just don’t even want to try anymore because I know it will be painful and that mindset doesn’t help. Hopefully they will be able to offer some advice on how to manage it x

You may also like...