Endometriosis UK

Photos of Laprascopy scars please?

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for photos on here? I tried via google but to be fair it's not giving me what I need.

I have my laparoscopy on the 12th December, 13 days before Christmas!! I've been waiting a year, I've had operations cancelled there and then, dates changed etc but the main problem has been having to wait for the 3 surgeons to be free on the same day.

So finally the 12th December it is.

Now my planned surgery is quite complex and I've been warned I may end up with a bigger up and down cut rather then keyhole cuts.

I was just wondering if any of you ladies can show me what you looked like after surgery, wound / cut / scar wise, just so I can mentally prepare.

Also there is a strong possibility of a colostomy / ileostomy bag as my endo is apparently quite bad around that area.

If the rules don't allow photos to go on a thread, please can you PM them to me.

I just want to be as prepared as possible for how my tummy is going to look.

I'd never wear a bikini, and I definitely don't wear crop tops but I'm really worried about how I'm going to cope mentally with all this change.

Thanks in advance.

Kat ❤️

22 Replies
oldestnewest

I have pictures on my page of the healing process. Feel free to check them out :)

1 like

Hi and good morning Zunali. I will check them out now, thank you!

1 like

I actually posted them since I couldn’t find any good pictures on google either, so I figured maybe they’d help someone else that was in my position. 😊 You’re welcome!!

1 like

Mine were tiny, less than 1cm each. I just recently got tattooed over them :).

2 likes

Oooh that sounds interesting, what did you go for, small ones over each or was it a big piece?

I got 2 origami peace cranes- one on each scar. They symbolise peace and hope.

2 likes

That sounds lovely!!

Oooh I was planning on tattooing over mine! Especially now I have even more scars due to another surgery I just had. How did they turn out??

They turned out great! What image/s are you considering getting down?

Most of my tattoos are very colorful, and I have a colorful fish on one hip and a colorful carnation on the other (for my parents.) I was thinking of small, multicolored butterflies over each scar with some sort of design kind of connecting them. Maybe some swirls and dots or something. I'm sure my artist will know what to do to make it go together! :)

2 likes

I’m 13 months on from a lap and I tried to take a picture of my scars but they’re now so faint that they don’t really show in a photo! I used bio oil religiously twice a day for six months as soon as the scar was formed. The tummy button scar is slightly raised so I think I will always be able to see it but no one else would notice. The other two scars are basically invisible now. Mine was keyhole surgery but I reckon bio oil would work just as well on any scar- my friend had a big cut in her forehead and it’s also faded well with the same treatment. I was super worried about how I’d feel about scarring but it really is ok now. I hope that’s reassuring. I would wear a bikini with confidence again. Xx

1 like

Bio Oil is something I've got, but never really bothered to try it. Maybe I should for my stretch marks :)

So I'm guessing it's just 3 scars for laparoscopy done by keyhole?

Thank you for your reply!

Yes that’s right, three for normal keyhole lap.

Bio oil is meant to be great for stretch marks too. I just got into the routine of putting it on after my shower in the morning and before getting into bed at night, I only put it on the scars.

1 like

I’ve just made a post with my photos so far. They arnt scars yet, only had lap on weds.

Luckily only had two cuts and they avoided my original tattoo.

The lower left one is very very small and so close to my hip bone. The belly button one is slightly longer.

To me they don’t look the tidiest stitching but sure they will be fine.

Il post in a month how they look again.

I had a worry about having scars because I have a small tight stomach and thought they would stand out, but now they’re done I don’t really think much of them. Just have accepted they are there.

That's great to hear that everything is healing well with your surgery only being recent! I'm pleased that your also happy with the results. I think that's just what we all need to do is just accept the fact that this is what was intended for us and be thankful that we are on the road to recovery so to say. Thanks for replying xx

Hey kat

I had mine done 3 months ago and obv the belly button one u cant see and never could even when had stitches in there and the two either side are right on the knickerline and u can hardly see them... and that in 3 months.. so wouldnt worry.

I forget mine are even there aless u really look, i did nothing to them just let them dissolve on there own and left them alone.

1 like

Thanks love, I'm not sure I'm going to put any lotions or potions on them until there fully healed. I can remember how long it took for my c-section scar to heal 😩 Would you suggest pants higher then to avoid catching them in the early days? Do they dress them or are they just left without dressings etc? Thank you xx

They dressed mine and i kept them on for about 2-3 days as u cant really shower for that long.. then they gave me another lot so when i had first shower i made sure i was really dry and redressed( u dont have any on bellybutton) kept them on another 2-3 days then took off and let it breath.. thats what my nurse told me to do.

I didnt go get them taken out i just left it all to do it own thing... never touched it.

Yeh i wore big pants for about 6 weeks just to keep it comfy, also i literally live in dresses( it was summer thankgod) ..

To tell truth for me( im slim, no belly) i found the bloating the worse bit it was so uncomfortable... i looked like i had a ball up top and it felt like it was stretching my stitches and skin...

other then that i really didnt suffer to much but i did take it very easy. I tried to go back to work after a week and it just didnt happen i last 3 hours and had to come home , then i just had another week off . So i had about 21/2 weeks off.

My stitches came out on a beach in sardiania!! Lovely!!!

1 like

Hey Kat. I hope someone whose had to have more extensive surgery can post pics to reassure you. I've had keyhole twice - 2 scars very low down below knicker line and one very slightly raised scar at the belly button. Last surgery was 9 years ago, the tiny scars don't bother me at all and are only noticeable in a certain light. Go with whatever they tell you regarding when to remove the dressings. I think I had mine on longer than the others have stated but that was due to getting my hellish period 2 days post-surgery and I was so ill as had had exploratory surgery for bladder and kidneys at the same time as I'd had an awful 6 months with a severe kidney infection that I'd been hospitalised for so I think I kept the dressings on longer as I was unable to get to the shower. Anyway, they healed well. A few weeks after once they properly healed I used vitamin e oil on them as I'm allergic to something in bio oil. Unfortunately my Endo was worse after surgery. Probably as they did laser on some area and cut it away on others. Should have been full excision. Due to that when pain is bad I do a gentle massage with vitamin e oil and a few drops of lavender oil. It basically helps calm me and distract me when I'm waiting for painkillers to kick in but perhaps due to that the regular use of oil has helped the scars heal super well. I think any oil will do - just to keep the scarring supple while it fully heals. Keep a bottle of it next to the shower once you've recovered and you'll get into the habit of doing it. Def big comfy pants post-surgery. Due to my Endo being extensive plus I'd had a bloody camera up my urethra and round the kidneys I was very sensitive for 6 months. High up tights and dresses were a god send (I think until then I owned one dress as I was a jeans gal 😂). Others have said maternity jeans were also helpful. Honestly tho although I'm not one to stick on a bikini the scars wouldn't stop me at all. Practically unnoticeable. I know you might end up having open surgery which would obviously be a larger scar but with oils that will hopefully help lots too. Tattoos are a great idea if you do have bigger surgery and want to cover up. Xx

1 like

Hi Poppy, I hope somebody does too so at least I can hear from that perspective etc. I've used vitamin E cream before so I shall have to look into the oil. I live in big pants anyway so that's perfectly fine haha! I also wear leggings as since my c-section which was over 6 years ago I can't bear anything pressing on that area. I found some men's joggers in primark for £5 the other day so bought a pair to take home and try, and now I'm going back tommorow with x5 on my list! They were so comfy. Thanks for your reply Poppy. Xx

I have four scars (belly button, one on each side and one on knicker line) which when I showed them to someone 6 weeks on, had the comment oh they look like tiny scratches.

1 like

Oh that's great! Thank you

You may also like...