Leaving a blocked tube alone?

So I have endometriosis. Had op 2010 to remove couple cysts. Recent scan (internal) showed 8cm cyst on right ovary and left tube filled with clear fluid suggestive of hydrosalpinx. Had meeting with consultant & booked in for lap within the next 2-3 months. Thing that concerned me was that he said we will assess the tubes with dye etc but we might just leave it. Everything I read suggests you should take it out in case it leaks or it’s an infection but then I also read that most Docs are frightened to remove it as it can cut blood supply to ovary. I don’t understand why that would matter if your ovary would be out of use if the tube is blocked anyway? I’ve rang secretary and asked to speak to the actual Gyny that will be operating on me instead of the consultant just to get a second view on this tube thing and ask further questions. I was told “if the consultant” allows it, we will send you an appt in post. Anyone have any knowledge on this type of thing? Thanks guys. New here x

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi, i have had a tube removed 4 weeks ago, i am ttc and it was stopping me getting pregnant. I was told the egg can travel down the other tube.

I suppose if you arent ttc then its not as much of a problem? I would never have known if i wasnt trying ttc.x

I intend on ttc for sure. Sigh

Then I would get them to remove it, i didnt hear my dr saying about damaging the blood supply to the ovaru. My ivf dr said it had to go, it was stopping natural conception and would cause ivf to fail x

I think depending on what it actually is when they get in there (because scans aren’t always reliable), if it is hydrosalpinx, I think I’d prefer they remove it tbh. Although my 8cm cyst removal might compromise my right ovary so I might end up losing both! Joy! Hopefully not

Is your surgeon a bsge registered one? I had my left tube removed and my 7cm cyst dr3 as this was better for ovarian reserve and ttc. I have started ivf straight after surgery.

I saw a general gyny but have now been referred to BSGE. The consultant I saw the other day told me there’s no benefit to ttc on ivf if you still have a good ovary. There’s no extra change of conceiving than there is with that ovary alone. But that if I lost both tubes there would be

I have been told the opposite, but the differencesmay be due to individuals. the chances of me conceiving naturally is very silm so ivf is my best chance. My right ovary which has the functioning tube is so scarred it may not give any eggs. Ironic that my reproductive organs half work on each side! 😂

I had both of my tubes removed last year due to bilateral intermittent hydrosalpinx. My HSG was ok but surgeon saw the fluid during a laparoscopy. I was advised to have them removed as the fluid can reduce the chance of a successful conception/ IVF round. My tubes were also scarred, and so i was at risk of ectopic too. Having one tube removed wont impact on fertility as the eggs can be produced from either ovary and still travel down a single remaining tube!

There is a risk with any surgery, and one of the risks with salpingectomy is damage to the ovary but i dont think its common- my surgeon and fertility consultant were both very reassuring and adament that the proceedure was im my best interest!

I also have a ?endometrioma on my left ovary- which is as a result barely functional. I have had 2 rounds of meds for FET and nobody suggested needing to remove it- although i am having a pelvic USS soon so that may well change!

Gosh I’m still learning all of the abbreviations haha, have to look them up. Yes my sister conceived with one ovary. If they leave me with one I’ll be happy with that. I agree tube better off coming out. The last thing I want to have to go through is IVF so I’m hoping they can save the right ovary once cyst removed. My sis had a 5cm when was pregnant with first child and it grew to 10. She was in agony from 28 weeks had to be in hosp. They told her if she could stand the pain to just cope because the alternative would be to cut her open from top to bottom. One large scar that would be! She managed to get through pregnancy with it but when had csection they said it had twisted round ovary and that’s how she lost that one. Then she went on to have her second child with the one ovary. Hope for us all. Some cysts just move out of the way though.

Do you know what caused your hydrosalpinx?

Sorry ive only just seen this!

I suspect a result of previous surgery to my cervix. The scar tissue caused a blockage so i wasnt avle to have periods. i dont know for sure but they were completely normal on my scan prior to thay surgery.

You may also like...