Endo and work

Hi everyone,

I am returning to work tomorrow after having a couple of weeks off after my lap surgery. I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Endo and I've felt awful since my op. I'm currently trying the Endo diet to try and relieve some of my symptoms.

I work full time in an office and I'm a member of the management team. My managers are aware that I was having surgery for a cyst on my ovary. I've been thinking today about how to have the discussion with them to explain my diagnosis. Both of them are male and I know for sure that one of them won't want me to go into any detail, the other does suffer from a chronic illness so I know he'll understand. I feel that I need to tell them in case I have any time off if I'm too unwell to go in to the office (which has happened on a few occasions and I've told them I was having stomach pains).

I also can't help but dread the question I know I'll be asked by my colleagues for the coming week "Are you feeling better?" I know that it will be meant with nothing but good intentions because most expect that after an op your problem has been fixed but the honest answer to the question is no!

Anyone who has been in a similar situation I'd welcome your advice!

Thank you. X

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It is difficult with chronic illness because even colleagues who are aware there is no cure for endo will assume an op has 'fixed' you.

Maybe explain to them that you have been diagnosed with a chronic illness, like diabetes, which will take management on a day to day basis and your op hasn't cured you because there is no cure unfortunately. If you mention your diagnosis and people are curious then you could give them some information. I told a lot of ladies at my work about my diagnosis because I wanted to make them aware of the symptoms so they can be aware for themselves and daughters, sisters, friends etc. I found it trickier with the men because I think some find gynae issues difficult to talk about. Xxx

• Thank you for your reply.

Yes I do agree, most of the men I work with are uncomfortable discussing gynae issues so I think I'll just tell them that my op was an investigative operation not an op to fix anything. I have discussed it in more detail with my female colleagues and I'll definitely tell them I have been diagnosed with Endo, like you say it spreads awareness of the condition.

I'll just see how far I can get discussing it with my managers, as I said the other does suffer with a chronic illness so I know he'll understand what living with it entails. X

• I do understand this situation, when I went through similar, I found it helpful to tell one person everything which helped a lot when having a tough time. Support was increased by understanding and you end up feeling less isolated with Endo, even for a short while.

Jx

You may also like...