Need a dr's note

I went to school today and I lasted exactly 30 minutes before the flare up started, my school counsellor says I'll need a dr's note since my attendance last year was really bad and my mom could be charged if I'm not going, they can't even make accommodations for me till I have the note. (Where I'd leave class for a few minutes just to calm down the pain).

Which one would be better, my GP or my Gynacologist?

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I don't know how things work in Canada Hannah but I would say the one who understands endo best and the impact it has on you.

• I would say a gp that knows u well and has a great understanding of endo and the impact it has on u I know when I was younger I had to go home when pain was bad but cause I live in the U.K. There rules might be different to Canada but hopefully it will not come to this

• This sounds terrible!! And so sudden. Pay attention to what you eat. Food plays a huge role in endo pain. I stopped dairy wheat and meat for 3 months And my pain was almost gone! It's hard to stay off meat but I am now forever dairy and wheat free. Celiac and lactose intolerance runs very high in endo patients. The intestines flare up reacting to these foods and it causes inflammation and pressure on our reproductive organs. It can also cause adhesions from the "infection" of your body constantly reacting to the allergy. Try no wheat and dairy for a week and you'll be hooked when you see the difference!

Xoxo blessings!

• Thanks but I already tried the diet where I only ate tofu and veggies for about 2-3 weeks and I had no improvement in my symptoms, I only have issues with fast foods. But antiinflamatory foods sometimes help, like cranberry, pinapple, ginger, and Tumeric.

• Ok. Well the veggie part is always good but tofu is soy which is estrogen and that feeds endo! Look up the soy estrogen connection. You should avoid all things soy if you have hormonal imbalance problems ( endo, cysts, cystic breasts, fibroids) that's why people use progesterone creams for these issues it helps to decrease the estrogens. Good luck!

• Do your own research there is much to say about the link of red meat and endo and soy being harmful as well. That's why I tell people to look it up themselves! Ive gone on these diets myself with much success that's why I share. There is plenty of research go look for yourself.

• Hi again Hannah

There is much controversy about phyto oestrogens such as found in soy. The evidence is that these are likely to be beneficial and anti-inflammatory; the deemed 'harmful' effect in increasing oestrogen is largely considered a myth. They can block the more potent natural oestrogens, especially oestradiol, from binding to the oestrogen receptor. I shouldn't consume them in excess because of this but there is no evidence to suggest you should cut out such foods.

I will reproduce a reply just posted elsewhere:

'We know that endo is driven by oestrogen characterised by an imbalance of hormones and hypersensitivity to oestrogen is now being associated with autoimmunity generally and is thought to be why women are predominantly affected. Some people do have endo resolve spontaneously and this would likely be due to some shift in the immune and endocrine activity and, in my view, a reduction in sensitivity to oestrogen that brings the immune reaction within a range of tolerance.

We hear a lot about endo diets such as cutting out dairy to reduce inflammation and these really do have a place. But it's addressing the problem after the horse has bolted. You need to do all you can to reduce your oestrogen levels in the first place and a big factor in this is ensuring that the oestrogen in your circulation is metabolised as efficiently as possible so that it is cleared from your system rather than hanging around to raise levels. Your liver is crucial to this and should be kept as free from chemicals as possible. Milk thistle is considered a good liver cleanser and can be obtained from health stores.

The liver shares its enzymes between chemicals (of which oestrogen is one) so you need to avoid all processed foods and the chemicals they contain. Caffeine is reported as increasing oestrogen levels dramatically so cut this out and change to decaf coffee if you drink it. Alcohol has to be processed by the liver too so cutting this out can be a great help. Unfortunately women with endo are often reliant on cocktails of medications (all chemicals) that have to be processed by the liver and so the treatment itself can raise oestrogen levels and compound the problem.'

Excising the endo early to reduce reliance on such chemicals must always be the key to efficient treatment but I know your options are limited.

Oestrogen is produced in fat tissue and whilst this may not have a major effect on women with ovaries, keeping to a healthy weight can only be a benefit. Keep eating lots of fruit and veg.

• I'm on a progesterone only pill would that help stall the growth?

I don't have periods on it since I taking it all the time.

• Hi Hannah, I'm sorry you're being treated this way. Unfortunately schools and people within schools often don't know enough about Endo, the way it can flare up and the pain both emotionally and physically it can cause. I used to work in a school and even though I had nothing to do with attendance, they do require a doctors note in the UK to cover absence, or persistent absence in schools. We used to have a member of staff who had Endo (although we didn't know this at the time). She used to take time off every month and I could see she was in pain at times, but the school never made allowances for her either.

I don't think it matters where you get the note from - GP or Gynacologist. It just needs to tell them that you experience pain and when you need 'time out' you need 'time out'. They don't even need to tell the school that much info except that they are 'seeing you regarding pain etc.' You do need a doctors note asap just to get them 'off your case' and cover you and your mother for any time off. They need to say that you are being 'treated by them' and suggest how best the school can help you.

Hannah, I wish you the very best. I must admit - only being diagnosed late in my 30's whilst working in a school it is difficult to understand what Endo is. It's not until you experience it yourself you can appreciate what the other person is going though and how to help/ appreciate their needs. Twds the end of my job in school I would personally give a 'time out' card to students who told me they had pain and if they needed to go home they needed to go home etc. Wishing you all the best. x

You may also like...