Should I try to go back to work?

Hi,

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago regarding my lap and ablation in mid-July, and the fact that I didn't end up having tube/ovary/cysts removed as it was all a lot more extensive than they thought. Am now awaiting information and referral for a TAH with BSO with possible bowel resection.

I have been having ongoing symptoms since then, mainly bloating and back pain which won't seem to shift. My question is regarding my job really. I'm a teacher and will be due to go back to work in less than 2 weeks. I was wondering how anyone else has got on regarding their employment situation.

I don't feel like i'd be able to go back as I am now, but am concerned about how long I will have to wait for the surgery as they reckon I'll need 2-3 months off after they perform it, so I'm really concerned about how much time I may end up having to miss.

It's just that it's such a full-on job with not much scope for rest or sitting down! I was just interested to see if anyone else had been in a similar position.

Thank you.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You really must only go back when you are up to it. This is a link to the Endo UK leaflet for employers.

endometriosis-uk.org/sites/...

Are you now being seen in the endo centre and is it definitely one of those advanced surgeons who will be performing surgery and have you had an MRI scheduled?

• Thanks for the leaflet link. I'm hoping to speak to my boss again soon but I'm not sure I'm up to going back full time at the moment.

To answer your other questions, I have no idea what is happening. I rang last week and they just said that I needed to wait to hear from them about what is going to happen in "due course" and no, they're not planning an MRI as far as I know. They're not being very forthcoming at all to be honest and it's very disheartening.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Can you revisit the replies to your previous post. This surgery must only be done in the endo centre as it would be against NHS requirements not to. It will be extremely complex surgery and you could suffer severe organ damage if a general gynaecologist attempts it. You really do need to drive this yourself to get the right treatment in what is known to be among the most complex of all surgery generally taking all medical conditions into account. Look at my posts again and read the regulations and confirm with them that you are being referred to the centre. You must insist on an MRI as how will they know what is involved otherwise? Deep endo can't be seen at a lap. The idea of a general gynae going in with a regular bowel surgeon without any clue of what they are facing doesn't bear thinking about. The reason they are not being forthcoming is likely to be that this surgery is so beyond their scope that they probably haven't a clue themselves what they are planning. This is why the centres were set up - to avoid this.